Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Redacted screenshots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

GTGastby posted:

So really all it is doing is getting visibility to random recruiters, which from my point of view is more annoying than useful.

I missed this the first time around but for people who are job hunting, this is EXACTLY what they want. Why wouldn't you want people whose job is literally to find you a job? Looking for a job is frustrating and annoying, especially when you're inundated with jobs you're not qualified for, don't want, etc., but it's better to have options than to not, period.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
But if he gets you an offer and you refuse, remember to lock your door at night and keep a gun - many guns - under the pillow.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just request people I don't know as "Friends" and include a message that I'm looking for work, etc.

Worst thing that'll happen is they ignore your request.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wonder if it's a case of who people are sending connection requests to.

Requesting connections to middle managers and such at other companies with 100 connections is not the same as requesting connections to recruiters and/or people active in groups/posts/whatever.

Use common sense. There are people on both sides of the aisle and if you're in the connect-with-everyone-camp then don't try to connect with people who obviously are not.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
OTOH my good friend was hired for a position that listed PhD + 10 yrs experience as requirements. He had masters + 0 experience (other than uni work).

He is rocking his job. When he was hired, he definitely let them know that he wasn't qualified on paper, etc., but it's sometimes the case that the people hiring aren't so sure of what they truly need, either.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

necrobobsledder posted:

What does an IT guy for a health insurance company know about healthcare?

Sure, but it's not completely irrelevant. If you work in IT in healthcare, you're probably fairly familiar with HIPAA regulations and what it takes to be compliant (at least, IT-wise), which is pretty valuable for a healthcare company looking to hire IT.

Roles are multifaceted and it's important to take all those facets into consideration when trying to hire/sell yourself. Familiarity with HIPAA, for example, may just be the selling point that sets you apart from all the other applicants when applying to an IT role at a hospital, for example.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Holy poo poo that article is amaaaaaazing.

If that's the kind of competence it takes to get a what-I-presume-to-be a very well paying job at a (startup?) then man, I am in the wrong business.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sure, but he should probably also include something like "DRAMATIZATION" so people can understand the real point of what he's trying to say, whereas now it just sounds like "raise your price by 3x and make 819x more!"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I worked with a recruiter who met me at a coffee shop at like 9 in the evening to give me documents to sign and got me a job very quickly after 3 months of looking for a job without a single interview.

I'm okay with them.

(the documents were a release form to run a background check on me)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

redcheval posted:

Got a connection request from someone I didn't recognize on LinkedIn the other day, and in a spell of lack of judgment added the individual, who's listed as a 'Data Relationship Manager/Global Business Coach & Mentor'. Got this message from this person yesterday:

My skillset and job history have zero to do with anything data related. I can only assume this is supposed to hook people into some kind of business coaching relationship... This message is obviously really cookie-cutter and spammy, but I'm curious what the purpose is or what this person is looking for? What is this supposed to be?

He wants you to pay him to teach you how to STUFF. Don't bother.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yes; I'm "friends" with a surprisingly large number of recruiters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lord_Adonis posted:

Is there any conceivable benefit for 'blue collar' workers such as myself to use LinkedIn and other networking services?

Is there any drawback?

• Locked thread