Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ossipago posted:

I had let my Linkedin profile go for a while and came back to discover they no longer consider sharing group membership a 2nd degree connection, so you're now hit with the "how do you know (name)" questions that can prevent you from connecting if you don't have another legitimate reason to know someone...

...except with the mobile app, which still lets you connect with reckless abandon with a single click to anyone you're in a group with (unless that individual has a setting to prevent it). The caveat here is no personalization to the invite, but it seems a lesser evil in order to quickly bolster your connections. There's a handy combined feed of recent posts to all the groups you're in, so you can just scroll and connect to all the active posters super fast. I invited 30 contacts all with gigantic networks, mostly recruiters, in under 10 minutes this way. Yay for mobile, I guess.

If anything Linkedin has value since it has a better chance of setting you up for a resume submission to actual human or quick elevator position moment with a recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I had a recruiter message me out of the blue for a full time job with the org I'm currently with part time (I'm in school - doing coop / part time here). Said no because I'm still in school for another year but we talked for a bit and I sent him my program coordinator details because he's basically looking for grads from our program, just didn't know the program even existed. It was a good interaction, and I'll keep him in mind for when I graduate. It didn't really work for me in this instance but I guess opportunities really do present themselves on LinkedIn.

well often you can fish for email and other contact info for future use.

If anything Linkedin is useful for getting your resume looked at by a actual human

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Race Realists posted:

on my home page

LINKEDIN IS A GREAT PLACE TO EXPRESS POLITICAL OPINIONS. DO THAT poo poo ALL THE TIME

its nothing short of amazing how this site has became Job Facebook

the parody accounts own.

• Locked thread