Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
This may be helpful for me in the future. At the moment I'm pursuing a PhD in ECE - with a physics background (master's) and I already have 6 years of research experience with publications and what not. I've had a few recruiters contact me in the past, but always for things that are more appropriate for someone in a vocational school. The groups I'm in (I don't participate anymore, really, I'll be doing this for a few more years) and my skills don't really indicate that I have the skills being considered - though I do have some related skills I suppose. For example, I'll list some topics in condensed matter and spectroscopy and get an offer to monitor air circulation equipment at GE. I suppose I haven't networked enough in the desired fields...

In any case, is it worth it to pay for the upgraded version of Linkedin?

Edit: one additional question - Should my profile be 'specialized', as in restricted to my area of primary concern when it comes to jobs? For example, say I'm interested and somewhat involved in the craft brewing community - would it be a poor idea to network with people associated with that industry and join groups and such?

Kudaros fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread