Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ronya posted:

The educated Dutch-educated post-colonial elite in Java succeeding in defining an Indonesian identity for the rest of modern Indonesia, in the same way that the elite Malays of the new Malaysian redefined Malay to include the new ethnicities. All things considered, this was probably one of the more successful "draw a line in the sand/jungle and call it a day" post-colonial border drawing.

I've always understood that the 'glue' for modern Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Woodrow Wilson's wonderful idea for a Armenian state. I'm sure the Kurds and Turks in that planned nation would have been fine.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Deseret for best state east of the President's Range.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

This is a Korean map from 1402. That's Europe on the left, Korea on the right, and Japan way down on the bottom right (rotated 90 degrees for some reason)

Is India on there anywhere? I can't tell if that big island is Sri Lanka or Hainan.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SombreroAgnew posted:

German Partitions

Here's the partition plan Yves Guyot floated for the event of a French total victory in WWI:

It's unlear if it's deliberate or not but it appears to suggest giving the entirety of the Brest-Litovsk area to Poland.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

The Moon Monster posted:

Is India on there anywhere? I can't tell if that big island is Sri Lanka or Hainan.

Nope, that's Hainan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

R. Mute posted:

The best part is the Ottoman Empire cutting off their own head.

And that the sword says "Made in Germany".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Reveilled posted:

Here's the partition plan Yves Guyot floated for the event of a French total victory in WWI:

It's unlear if it's deliberate or not but it appears to suggest giving the entirety of the Brest-Litovsk area to Poland.

I like how France just unceremoniously claims all of Belgium. (Even though its neutrality is what brought Britain into the war).

Meanwhile, Germany's plans for Poland during World War II:

All Germans would move to Germany. Of course.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Woodrow Wilson's wonderful idea for a Armenian state. I'm sure the Kurds and Turks in that planned nation would have been fine.

Probably better than how the Armenians have been.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This is an administrative map of Liechtenstein, one of the world's smallest states nestled deep in the Alps, and also pretty much the only state I know of where the monarch actually got more power by a democratic vote (by threatening to leave the country when the vote turned out against him, though). Liechtenstein is a remnant of the Holy Roman Empire and came to be when an imperial decree merged several small villages together to a new principality in 1719. Against all odds, the tiny state managed to survive the end of the Empire in 1806 and gained factual independence when Napoleon added it to the list of member states of the Confederation of the Rhine the same year. Per article 4 of the constitution, all the seven municipalities have the permanent right to secede.

quote:

At the end of World War II, plans were made in the Netherlands to annex German territory as compensation for the damages caused by the war. In October 1945, the Dutch state asked Germany for 25 billion guilders in reparations, but in February 1945 it had already been established at the Yalta Conference that reparations would not be given in monetary form. The plan which was worked out in most detail was the one made by Frits Bakker-Schut, and hence became known as the Bakker-Schut Plan.

In its most ambitious form, this plan included the cities of Cologne, Aachen, Münster and Osnabrück, and would have enlarged the country by 30 to 50 percent. The local population had to be either deported, or, when still speaking the original Low German dialects, Dutchified. The plan was largely dropped after U.S. dismissal of it. Eventually, an area of a total size of 69 km2 was allocated to the Netherlands. Almost all of this was returned to West Germany in 1963 after Germany paid the Netherlands 280 million German marks.

Many Germans living in the Netherlands were however declared 'enemy subjects' after World War II ended and put into an internment camp in an operation called Black Tulip. A total of 3,691 Germans were ultimately deported. The UK responded by expelling 100,000 Dutch citizens living in occupied Germany.

A detailed map of all the communities of mainland France.

Pretty self-explanatory.

And finally: anyone care to guess what this map depicts? :)

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I used google's similar image search and found this:

https://sites.google.com/site/isutourism1/vodka

Though I was going to guess something language related.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TheImmigrant posted:

I've always understood that the 'glue' for modern Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia.

I suspect it is easier to conduct ethnic assimilation when the other ethnicities don't have a national consciousness yet.

animal math
Oct 2, 2012

What's interesting about the Toledo War is that, in return for giving up the Toledo Strip, Michigan was granted its statehood and given the Upper Peninsula as a compromise. At the time in 1836, it was seen as a loss for Michigan since most of the Upper Peninsula was Indian territory.

Similarly,

The Pig War was a dispute in 1859 about where the boundary between the US and Canada should be between Washington and Vancouver Island. The blue line was favoured by the US, the red line was favoured by Britain/Canada, and the green line was the compromise.

animal math fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 2, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

animal math posted:

The Pig War was a dispute in 1859 about where the boundary between the US and Canada should be between Washington and Vancouver Island. The blue line was favoured by the US, the red line was favoured by Britain/Canada, and the green line was the compromise.

We didn't actually stick with the compromise though, The Kaiser was called in to mediate and set the border much closer to the US line, so San Juan Island itself is in Washington.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

animal math posted:

By God that was an American pig!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
One of my favorites, the Belgian enclave of Baarle-Nassua which is in the Nertherlands.

And then the towns of Derby Line, USA and Stanstead, Canada

Also, some pics from the ground.

Thanks Bush for starting this and thanks Obama for continuing this poo poo.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

System Metternich posted:

And finally: anyone care to guess what this map depicts? :)

Gonna take a guess and say: Old Russian empire plans?

the night dad fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 2, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

LP97S posted:

One of my favorites, the Belgian enclave of Baarle-Nassua which is in the Nertherlands.

And then the towns of Derby Line, USA and Stanstead, Canada

Blame the people in the past for being so stubborn about borders. There are a few towns in Washington that are north of the 49th parallel, but because they were built based on inaccurate survey information, we just called it square.

It is not so easy for the poor citizens of Point Roberts

Who have to have extensive negotiations with Canada to do simple things like commute to work, school, or make a phone call.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

"Maximalist" Greater Finland vision from the 20s-30s.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

R. Mute posted:

The best part is the Ottoman Empire cutting off their own head.

I also like Norway and Sweden just kind of watching disinterestedly. And the Netherlands just chilling with a pipe, while belgium may or may not be giving him the finger.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Always my favorite map/political cartoon:

I just love everyone ganging up on Austria-Hungary to steal his boots.

Love these WWI maps:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LP97S posted:

Thanks Bush for starting this and thanks Obama for continuing this poo poo.

The US/Quebec borders in Maine and Vermont are kinda weird in general at places.

Also, the only time I've been amused at a border crossing (near Jackman Maine, coming back into the US)
USBP: What was your purpose for visiting Canada?
Me: Uh, dinner
USBP: *long sigh* ...yeah *nods*

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Stefu posted:

"Maximalist" Greater Finland vision from the 20s-30s.

Well, they tried their best.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahala_Khagrabari

quote:

Dahala Khagrabari #51 is an Indian enclave belonging to the District of Cooch Behar in the State of West Bengal.

It is one of the smaller (7000 m2, about the size of a football field) of the Indo-Bangladesh enclaves that comprise the 106 Indian exclaves inside Bangladesh and 92 Bangladeshi exclaves inside India. However, it is the only third-order enclave in the world.

Dahala Khagrabari #51 is completely encircled by the Bangladeshi village of Upanchowki Bhajni, 110, which is contained in the Indian village of Balapara Khagrabari, itself contained in the Rajshahi Division, Bangladesh. Thus Dahala Khagrabari is the enclave of an enclave of an enclave. In practice, it is a parcel of land used for farming and is not actually inhabited. It is separated by only a few meters of Bangladeshi land from its first-order Indian enclave.
Dahala Khagrabari, the only third-order enclave in the world (Maps)

Curiously, the owner of this enclave is a Bangladeshi farmer who lives in the enclave surrounding Dahala Khagrabari #51.[1]

Despite its small size, Dahala Khagrabari #51 is not the smallest of the enclaves found on the Indo-Bangladesh border, the smallest being Panisala #79, an Indian enclave of 0.109 hectares in the Rangpur Division of Bangladesh.[2]

Due to the lack of governance and deplorable conditions for the residents of the enclaves, a long-festering problem, in September 2011, the governments of India and Bangladesh announced an intention to resolve the issue by means of swapping 162 enclaves, giving residents a choice of nationality.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

brakeless posted:

Well, they tried their best.
To be fair, they didn't actually try for the "Maximalist" idea. The Continuation War really was just an attempt to take back the land they had lost in the Winter War, not one of those insane nationalist projects which floated around in Europe in the 20th century.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To be fair, they didn't actually try for the "Maximalist" idea. The Continuation War really was just an attempt to take back the land they had lost in the Winter War, not one of those insane nationalist projects which floated around in Europe in the 20th century.

Well yeah, I wasn't being 100% serious, although the bolded part isn't strictly true. The goal of the offensive phase was to take and hold the so-called three-isthmus line, which you can see 2/3rds complete, quite far beyond the pre-1939 borders. There was quite a bit of nationalist project tied up in the war too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

brakeless posted:

Well yeah, I wasn't being 100% serious, although the bolded part isn't strictly true. The goal of the offensive phase was to take and hold the so-called three-isthmus line, which you can see 2/3rds complete, quite far beyond the pre-1939 borders. There was quite a bit of nationalist project tied up in the war too.
Were they actually planning to annex those territories, or were they just bargaining chips for negotiations with Stalin though? The latter is the story I've always been told/have read, but of course anti-Communist and nationalist rhetoric might have mislead me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How the hell did things end up like that?

wikipedia posted:

The enclaves were used as stakes in card or chess games centuries ago between two regional kings, the Raja of Cooch Behar and the Maharaja of Rangpur.[3] The little territories were the result of a confused outcome of a treaty between the Kingdom of Koch Bihar and the Mughal Empire.[4]

Oh. Well, thats cool I guess.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Were they actually planning to annex those territories, or were they just bargaining chips for negotiations with Stalin though? The latter is the story I've always been told/have read, but of course anti-Communist and nationalist rhetoric might have mislead me.

The goalposts and the rhetoric shifted during the war. In 1941 there was genuine, although not unanimous, hope in the government and the parliament for German victory over the Soviets and the annexation of eastern Karelia. People of Russian heritage in the occupied areas were gathered into camps to wait for deportation. After Stalingrad was a done deal, making peace on the pre-Winter war borders became the government's goal.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I actually have a politically loaded map hanging right behind me! (Warning: big)

I didn't bother taking it off the wall for the picture, but it gets the point across.

sum fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 2, 2013

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

brakeless posted:

Is there any sort of modern integration movement for Karelia anymore?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Who owns Bir Tawil indeed...

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Is there any sort of modern integration movement for Karelia anymore?

Karelian refugees who occasionally remark wistfully how sweet it would be to walk on their old yard again is pretty much it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i poo poo trains posted:

I actually have a politically loaded map hanging right behind me! (Warning: big)

I didn't bother taking it off the wall for the picture, but it gets the point across.

I knew this looked familiar. :laffo:

e: vvv we...know each other. vvv

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 2, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

i poo poo trains posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:

Crowsbeak posted:

Before World War I and the Armenian Genocide, Armenians were the majority ethnicity in those areas.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Farecoal posted:

It shows Mexico with its pre-Mexican-American War boundaries.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Farecoal posted:

54° 40' or fight!

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008