Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland posted:

You already posted that up-thread. Is there some point you're trying to make?

I forgot.

Have some Dutch maps about their desire to annex some of Germany after WW2 instead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_annexation_of_German_territory_after_the_Second_World_War

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I forgot.

Have some Dutch maps about their desire to annex some of Germany after WW2 instead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_annexation_of_German_territory_after_the_Second_World_War

I'm not going to say all of the decisions made about territory post 1945 were good, a lot (probably all of them) were terrible, but it just kinda strikes me as cute when I read about countries other than USA, UK and USSR making demands. No, you are not making demands of the people that just saved you from the Nazis

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

German territory without Germans? How are you going to do that? Oh, right.

Demanding Cologne was probably a bit much, maybe they could have gotten a pity prize like Belgium after WWI.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Demanding Cologne was probably a bit much, maybe they could have gotten a pity prize like Belgium after WWI.

You mean Belgium got territory from Germany or do you mean the Dutch should've gotten Belgium as a prize?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The former, although the latter would have been fine by me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anything that ends the existence of Belgium isn't good.

A completely superfluous country.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not going to say all of the decisions made about territory post 1945 were good, a lot (probably all of them) were terrible, but it just kinda strikes me as cute when I read about countries other than USA, UK and USSR making demands. No, you are not making demands of the people that just saved you from the Nazis
Might've been more of a suggestion/invitation to follow through on some of the alternative ideas going around at the time. Like, the suggestion of severely dismembering Germany seems a lot more realistic and sensible if all its neighbors are like "we'll help!".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I would imagine that 1946 Germans would be somewhat okay with a soft genocide where they just (more or less forcibly) learned Dutch and pretended they were always actually quite swampy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

I would imagine that 1946 Germans would be somewhat okay with a soft genocide where they just (more or less forcibly) learned Dutch and pretended they were always actually quite swampy.
On the other hand, the Netherlands already had a bunch of Low Saxon speakers. Assuming the Dutch could live with it, you could just go with the story of the Low Saxons having had their language and culture of peaceful trade (partially) destroyed by militaristic Prussians, early victims of German imperialism and (cultural) genocide. Basically one-upping the Austrians, and then claiming the Low Saxons are basically just not part of the Netherlands due to a fluke of history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Let's just agree German unification was a mistake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Germany should've been splintered into at least a dozen parts. Preferably a few hundred. Two Germanies was far too unified of a Germany.

A Unified Germany is an inherent threat to the world.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ok, Mr. Morgenthau

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the other hand, the Netherlands already had a bunch of Low Saxon speakers. Assuming the Dutch could live with it, you could just go with the story of the Low Saxons having had their language and culture of peaceful trade (partially) destroyed by militaristic Prussians, early victims of German imperialism and (cultural) genocide. Basically one-upping the Austrians, and then claiming the Low Saxons are basically just not part of the Netherlands due to a fluke of history.

Actually - yeah. Why not? 1945 was closer to the date of German unification than it is to today. I am pretty sure most people in the traditionally Low Saxon parts of the Netherlands speak Dutch in their daily lives at this point, but that probably wasn't the case in 1945. Having so many of them would make them more difficult to assimilate, but the idea isn't as insane as you might think. In practical terms, it was all one big dialect continuum until not even that long ago.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It seems insane now that people actually thought this back in 1990, but I guess they couldn't have predicted that German leadership would turn out to be completely useless and toothless.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Negostrike posted:

Ok, Mr. Morgenthau

Kinks: Being reduced to a pastoral state (everything to do with it)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have some family who love in the north western bit of the Rhineland and it is very similar to the Netherlands. The only reason most of these places are either Dutch or German is just based on which bishop or count happened to be in charge 500 years ago rather than a drastic difference in culture. Until as recently as 100 years ago the language in that region was pretty similar both sides off the border.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

IIRC, the Germans were to be expelled from the territory like they were from the regions that went to Poland, to prevent there from ever being a Sudetenland-style problem again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that's what it says on one of the posters, I wasn't paraphrasing. German territory without Germans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

German territory without Germans.
Ah, Neuschwabenland.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Let's just agree French unification was a mistake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An Ideal Germany:

Anything more unified than this is not only a security risk but a moral failure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

FreudianSlippers posted:

An Ideal Germany:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Mark Brandenburg? This is Mark Brandenburg speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

An Ideal Germany:

can't agree with this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Byzantine posted:

can't agree with this

Yeah I mean it says right there "Frank" reich. How is the land of Franks, a german tribe, not a rightful part of Germany? Throw in Britain, Denmark and Spain too, those are just mongrel yokel Germans.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Visigoths...Lombards...the math checks out, Spain and Italy are Germany

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

An Ideal Germany:

Anything more unified than this is not only a security risk but a moral failure.

Do this to the entire world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bongo Bill posted:

Do this to the entire world.

Yes.

No country should have more than a million people in it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Germany should've been splintered into at least a dozen parts. Preferably a few hundred. Two Germanies was far too unified of a Germany.

Traditionally all the big European countries were threat to the world: (England, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Sweden...)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yes. England should be forcibly reverted to the Heptarchy.

(Obviously).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not learning Danish. Danes can stay on the other side of the sea. We have our own unintelligble grunt language up here already thank you very much.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The actual story of Alaska, and how they somehow got 600,000 or however many non-natives to settle there, is interesting enough.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also if you want "settle Jews in the middle of nowhere" ideas, you don't need fiction, since Birobidzhan is a thing.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

Also if you want "settle Jews in the middle of nowhere" ideas, you don't need fiction, since Birobidzhan is a thing.

You do if you want there to actually be a significant number of Jews there though.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phlegmish posted:

The actual story of Alaska, and how they somehow got 600,000 or however many non-natives to settle there, is interesting enough.

yiddish policeman's union is technically a spinoff of the wire, though

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

The story is gold and then later oil and to a lesser extent airplane refueling

It is funny that each of the Canadian arctic provinces are all 30,000 people spread over a European country with 20,000 in one town and then Alaska has the absolutely massive by comparison 700,000 people just over the border

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alaska got a ton of federal help in the middle of the twentieth century to build it up against the Soviet menace.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It seems insane now that people actually thought this back in 1990, but I guess they couldn't have predicted that German leadership would turn out to be completely useless and toothless.
Germany stopped being a threat and became a menace.

OwlFancier posted:

I am not learning Danish. Danes can stay on the other side of the sea. We have our own unintelligble grunt language up here already thank you very much.
They're actually mutually intelligible grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Air Skwirl posted:

The idea was to demand reparations for the damage nazi occupation brought to the occupied states. I recall there being a wild idea for territorial claims after WW1 which would have Belgium annex Dutch Limburg (the Netherlands being a neutral party) and be compensated for that by getting German lands.

After WW2 some lands did get traded in compensation, but we gave it back after realising we couldn't actually afford to administer the gains.

nimby fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 22, 2024