Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

My favorite part of that map is how Kuwait lies unmolested, lest 1991 be in vain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

I'm kind of surprised to see Azerbaijan expanded. Also, giving northern Afghanistan the tribal areas of Pakistan "these areas are ungovernable from a distant and centralized government, have fun!"

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I don't know how anyone could consider the theoretical "Sunni Iraq" to be a viable state.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't know how anyone could consider the theoretical "Sunni Iraq" to be a viable state.

They'd never lack for Vitamin D, just all of the other ones.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Unrelated, but those Virginia maps on the last page reminded me that I would have liked to see West Virginia just be called plain old Virginia since it had the only state government in VA recognized by the federal government during the Civil War when it split off from the rest of the state.

And Virginia of today renamed Traitorous Rat Virginia.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Unrelated, but those Virginia maps on the last page reminded me that I would have liked to see West Virginia just be called plain old Virginia since it had the only state government in VA recognized by the federal government during the Civil War when it split off from the rest of the state.

I could get behind this. Or just make them East Virginia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Budzilla posted:

All this and they don't restore Constantinople to the Greeks? I am outraged. Paradox will be hearing about this! :argh:

e; wait, Syria owns Lebanon in the 'Before'? e2; nevermind I see it now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Doesn't work since they ceased being the government of Virginia when they voted themselves to secede from Virginia and become West Virginia.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Lord Hydronium posted:

Edit: Irredentist stamps.

Reminds me of these stamps from the German "Westmark" period for Saarland (my family is from here):

And the accompanying maps:

Sudeten stamp for good measure:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

I'm kind of surprised to see Azerbaijan expanded.

The northwest corner of Iran is populated by Azeris, who are the largest minority group in the country and are heavily concentrated in that region. Most of the world's Azeris (11-12 million) actually live in Iran, as against ~9 million in the Republic of Azerbaijan. They are generally very well integrated in Iranian society and government and display virtually no interest in separatism or joining the Republic of Azerbaijan. As an example of their integration, Ayatollah Khamenei is half-Azeri on his father's side.

quote:

Also, giving northern Afghanistan the tribal areas of Pakistan "these areas are ungovernable from a distant and centralized government, have fun!"

The entire map is a staggeringly dumb and unworkable fantasy and almost every part of it exposes the people behind it to ridicule. The "Free Kurdistan" section is the weirdest. Looking at the area you were just talking about, the Republic of Azerbaijan will get the presently Iranian provinces of Ardebil and Gilan. Ardebil is populated by Azeris, but Gilan is not, but whatever we don't like the Iranians let's take more of their poo poo. Meanwhile, the Iranian provinces of East and West Azerbaijan, which contain the bulk of the Azeri people in Iran, as well as Tabriz (historically their principle city) will be awarded to Kurdistan. Presumably they get West Azerbaijan because there's a minority of Kurds among the large majority of Azeris, and they get East Azerbaijan because gently caress it who cares. Also Turkey will somehow be convinced to cede the eastern 1/4 of their country to Kurdistan and Armenia, probably because they're just so fond of Kurds and Armenians.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

What the gently caress is this? Just random redrawing of borders for...what purpose? The mere expression of American power? Because it looks cooler?

Because I'm sure Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iran, and Pakistan would be real happy about losing territory for no reason whatsoever.

I presume it's someone (most likely American) wanting to do for the Middle East what Woodrow Wilson wanted to do for Europe after 1918.

Because ethnic nationalism has been such a striking success over here...

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

General Panic posted:

I presume it's someone (most likely American) wanting to do for the Middle East what Woodrow Wilson wanted to do for Europe after 1918.

I looked Ralph Peters up, and apparently he's an op-ed columnist for the New York Post.

Also, guess what "Arab Sunni State" has as its initials.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
So, in conclusion, that map illustrates the S.H.I.T. below the A.S.S.

Nice!

(Are there any actual calls, from anyone, for a "Free Baluchistan? Apparently there is such a thing as Baluch nationalism, but it's a more-or-less-exclusively Pakistani phenomenon, as far as I can tell.)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

"The South: Where is it?" is a few decades old but a real interesting attempt to define the American South geographically.

Baptists

Where the kudzu weed grows

"Dixie" used in business names, compared to "American".

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Interesting how Atlanta differs from its surroundings in the last map.

Map of ethnicities in Atlanta. Red=White, Blue=Black, Orange=Hispanic, Green=Asian

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

General Panic posted:

If I recall correctly, the premise of the map was "if we had the benefit of hindsight when redrawing the map of the middle east post-WWI and through the era of decolonisation, what would have been the best way to do it?"

I somewhat doubt this would indeed be the best way to do it. So, in a similar vein:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Reveilled posted:

If I recall correctly, the premise of the map was "if we had the benefit of hindsight when redrawing the map of the middle east post-WWI and through the era of decolonisation, what would have been the best way to do it?"

I somewhat doubt this would indeed be the best way to do it. So, in a similar vein:

I can never oppose the existence of Cascadia :allears:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mister Adequate posted:

I can never oppose the existence of Cascadia :allears:

I can when it apparently doesn't include NorCal and the Inside Passage. 60th parallel or strongly worded letter!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Hudson Delaware Republic? I could get behind this.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

EvanSchenck posted:

The entire map is a staggeringly dumb and unworkable fantasy and almost every part of it exposes the people behind it to ridicule. The "Free Kurdistan" section is the weirdest. Looking at the area you were just talking about, the Republic of Azerbaijan will get the presently Iranian provinces of Ardebil and Gilan. Ardebil is populated by Azeris, but Gilan is not, but whatever we don't like the Iranians let's take more of their poo poo.

Excuse me but pretty borders are by far the most important part of redrawing the map, gently caress every other consideration!!! (Hardcore Paradox games player here, sorry)

Aug 4, 2010

Antarctica is fairly interesting to me, and while not exactly politically charged right now thanks to the Antarctic Treaty and the ban on the exploitation oil and natural gas fields until 2048 this could always change. Then you have the USA, Russia, Peru and RSA who have reserved the right to claim territory or the Brazilian "zone of interest".

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I like how most of the mideast except Israel is in Africa.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Minnesota does not like its placement.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Reveilled posted:

Maryland, DC and NoVA do not like their placement.

I'm surprised there isn't a Megalopolis nation from Virginia Beach to Boston plus some country side so we can watch the leaves change colors.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Reveilled posted:

Move Indiana and West Virginia into the Confederacy (they'll be happier there this time). Move Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa into the Hudson-Delaware (Great Lakes Republic?). Add together the rest of the remaining United States with Deseret and Sequoyah and rename it "The United States of Garbage".

EDIT: And make Colorado independent.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Minnesota would likely be happy with Canada. We already sound Canadian anyway.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Why is Sweden gone? Is this a Danish wet dream?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Highspeeddub posted:

That or those who are deeply opposed to particle board furniture.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

General Panic posted:

What was Woodrow Wilson's border plans for post-1918 Europe? I'd like to see.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Budzilla posted:

Afghanistan losing Herat but getting back the NWFP sounds like the reverse of what happened in the 1800s, the best part is that the frontier region is even less governable than Afghanistan propers current tribal areas. There's a reason the Afghan monarchs didn't bother to reclaim the territory.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Budzilla posted:

Despite Afghanistan gaining territory it's labelled red because it loses Herat.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

I'm not sure whether the Arab Shia State (rear end), the Sunni Homelands Independent Territories (poo poo), or the total failure to resolve Israel/Palestine is the most risible part of this map.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

:confused: What's the context of this one? Someone just really hates Sweden?

Most Finns at some time or another, probably. (A simplified version used to be somewhat popular as a T-shirt at some point.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That redrawn Middle East map is automatically poo poo because it has a Kurdistan, a Baluchistan, but no Pashtunistan. Without going into any complexities about the lines of borders that on its face automatically discounts the thing. Looks like even when someone gets to just crap all over a phoney map with their ideas of compact nation-states, the Pashtuns still get the shaft. Does the author just imagine that the redrawn Afghanistan would be basically a Pashtun state? Gotta gently caress over a lot of people for that to happen in their personal concept of Afghanistan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Highspeeddub posted:

Then Scania would still be there, and returned to Denmark.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Politically loaded maps heh ?
I'll leave this here then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9IlR3-_-A

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

cheerfullydrab posted:

That redrawn Middle East map is automatically poo poo because it has a Kurdistan, a Baluchistan, but no Pashtunistan. Without going into any complexities about the lines of borders that on its face automatically discounts the thing. Looks like even when someone gets to just crap all over a phoney map with their ideas of compact nation-states, the Pashtuns still get the shaft. Does the author just imagine that the redrawn Afghanistan would be basically a Pashtun state? Gotta gently caress over a lot of people for that to happen in their personal concept of Afghanistan.

Pashtunistan and Afghanistan mean the exact same thing, Afghan and Pashtun can be been used interchangeably. As for the Pashtun nationalist concept of Pashtunistan (or Loy Afghanistan), the redrawn Afghanistan gives you a pretty good idea of what it would look like.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Red_Mage posted:

I can when it apparently doesn't include NorCal and the Inside Passage. 60th parallel or strongly worded letter!

I'm surprised you'd accept Idaho. This might be a better setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Yeah I can't imagine northern New Brunswick would be okay being in New England, what with French being the primary language and all.

I'd live in ecotopia so hard though.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 6, 2013