Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This has got to be an American map because it's drawing the bullshit diagonal line that cuts off the Canadian coast off of Alaska. Seriously, look at that poo poo, the border is a straight line and then WHOOPS LETS CLAIM THE COAST AT AN ANGLE RIGHT WHERE THERE'S OIL!

What are you talking about? Yes, the border jaunts off at an inexplicable angle, but it doesn't net the US any more oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This has got to be an American map because it's drawing the bullshit diagonal line that cuts off the Canadian coast off of Alaska. Seriously, look at that poo poo, the border is a straight line and then WHOOPS LETS CLAIM THE COAST AT AN ANGLE RIGHT WHERE THERE'S OIL!

I'm almost certain it's from The Economist actually. It definitely doesn't look very equidistant though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm almost certain it's from The Economist actually. It definitely doesn't look very equidistant though.
That's BBC's map This is The Economist's map, actually:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm glad they decided to build the arms factory in one of the least defensible areas in the town.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Varkk posted:

Fantasy political maps

Who is John Parker and why does he have a green named after him?

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

Who is John Parker and why does he have a green named after him?

My guess is that it references John Parker, commander of the Revolutionary forces at Lexington Green.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Freudian posted:

What are you talking about? Yes, the border jaunts off at an inexplicable angle, but it doesn't net the US any more oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_claims_in_the_Arctic#Beaufort_Sea

It's probably one of the more stupid examples of US trying to redraw a border advantageous for oil rights, because clearly the border isn't drawn that way between the Yukon and Alaska and it's basically drawn so that right at the ocean boundary you can go straight out from Canada and end up in the U.S. in basically no time at all.

I mean, the whole "The Northwest Passage isn't sovereign Canadian territory and we should be allowed to send our military weaving through Canadian islands as part of international waters" is directly dumber but this one is still pretty bad.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Elim Garak posted:

My guess is that it references John Parker, commander of the Revolutionary forces at Lexington Green.

That makes sense

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is an equidistant maritime boundary that crazy? With the Canadian proposal if you follow the land border out to sea you stay on the border, but with the American proposal, if you head out to sea perpendicular to the coast you stay in whatever country you were in.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

Is an equidistant maritime boundary that crazy? With the Canadian proposal if you follow the land border out to sea you stay on the border, but with the American proposal, if you head out to sea perpendicular to the coast you stay in whatever country you were in.

It's literally a pair of alluvial fans right there, that's not exactly stable land. And it just happens that this is the only border that the U.S. is trying to pull this thing with when it just happens to be right over a really oil rich region should say something. In pretty much every other case they just draw it out reasonably from the land borders instead of this weird oblique thing.

e. https://maps.google.com/?ll=69.629618,-140.951843&spn=0.209614,0.983963&t=h&z=11

ee. Remember that coastlines are a fractal problem, so drawing a border straight out from a coastline is really really really hard to do.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We will fight them yanks for every drop of sweet light crude whale oil.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Smirr posted:

"The Polynesians are generally Barbarous & Pagan" :allears: That map is really great.

Here's one that requires a bit of translation:

The graphic shows the composition of bi-national marriages, split up by genders and German states. The upper three are for German women marrying foreign men, the lower three for German men marrying foreign women. The maps are sorted by rank: the left-most shows the most common arrangement, the middle one the second most common and the right-most the third most common arrangement. The little flags underneath each map show ranking for all of Germany.

I'm trying really hard not to make a joke about catalog brides right now. This graphic is by the Zeit newspaper, and you can find more here. Most of them are pretty good.

Seems to me to be quite obvious that the nationalities and genders are tied to the types of job historically on offer. Turkish immigrant labourers were mostly male, similar story with Italians (same as in Switzerland), both groups being brought over to do mostly manual labour. The US military has had a large presence in Germany, again mostly male. Female immigrant labourers were brought for service jobs, especially in nursing, where language skills would be required. This would obviously favour those from ex-Soviet states where German was a favoured second language and with a solid education system.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bensa posted:

Seems to me to be quite obvious that the nationalities and genders are tied to the types of job historically on offer. Turkish immigrant labourers were mostly male, similar story with Italians (same as in Switzerland), both groups being brought over to do mostly manual labour. The US military has had a large presence in Germany, again mostly male. Female immigrant labourers were brought for service jobs, especially in nursing, where language skills would be required. This would obviously favour those from ex-Soviet states where German was a favoured second language and with a solid education system.

Yeah, all good points. All that, plus simply neighboring countries like Austria for Bavaria, Poland for Brandenburg and the Netherlands for Lower Saxony / NRW. The non-joke about catalog brides was mostly aimed at the presence of Thailand in the lower right map. But then again, the sample size for those two states is really small to begin with.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Angiepants posted:

I enjoy this thread immensely. Thanks all y'all. Unfortunately, this is all I have to contribute.

Tibet, East Turkestan and Mongolia.

The Upper Midwest region is completely distinct from the Great Plains. People always forget this. Iowa and Wisconsin have nothing in common with Kansas and Oklahoma.

But.. you've only given Tibet proper away!

To be really politically loaded you need to give all of greater tibet away!

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

The Dammam territory was give to Saudi Arabia a while ago so the UAE still having that piece looks like a gain to me. Also everyone forgot Arab Shia State
:goonsay:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fizzil posted:

Also everyone forgot Arab Shia State
:goonsay:

Except those people who pointed it out. :)

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd just like to say that as a proud Wisconsinite, I can truly understand the Palestinian struggle. The Toledo War had nothing to do with us, we didn't take sides so we don't deserve censure (or reward, but we aren't asking for a reward). Despite that, our land was taken from us and given to a foreign power, utterly unlike us. I understand that the current residents of the UP are also blameless in this struggle, they have a right to live there, of course. To visit that injustice upon them would be to recreate the same injustice that was imposed upon us and that would be the height of barbarism. Thankfully, if you look at the current culture of the UP, you will see that it is 'Sconie to the core. As I recall, the self-determination of nations is one of the 14 points. So, all I'm saying is that there should be a plebiscite to determine whether the UP remains with the foreign occupiers at Michigan or recognize their true status as Wisconsinites. Naturally, Wisconsin Militia members need to be present in the UP to ensure that the vote is fair and that Michiganders do not use force to influence the vote.

Of course, that is a pipe-dream for the future. I know it won't happen immediately. However, with the help of the Wisconsin Militia I have been able to establish a small settlement within our ancestral territory. When the plebiscite comes, these will be instrumental in ensuring that Greater Wisconsin can thrive.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Have you noticed the GOP is all but dead at the state level in California? Well, political entrepreneur and Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone has and plan to do something about that! No, it's not "treat Hispanics with dignity." It's a secessionist movement! Behold, the glorious state of South California:

This thread has been fascinating, I've been learning so much.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There was almost a war over this proposed state:

Largely because the people of franklin were like "gently caress all y'all we are seceding from your state"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Have you noticed the GOP is all but dead at the state level in California? Well, political entrepreneur and Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone has and plan to do something about that! No, it's not "treat Hispanics with dignity." It's a secessionist movement! Behold, the glorious state of South California:

Why'd they stop the Central Valley secession at Merced?

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
A small, inaccurately-named Balkan country, dreaming of greater things:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kavak posted:

Why'd they stop the Central Valley secession at Merced?

Merced is a dirty Liberal stronghold. But according to the 08 election map so is Fresno, San Diego, and Riverside so who knows.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 8, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Isn't one of the platforms of the Golden Dawn "invade Macedonia and make them change their name" ?

I remember hearing that.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Red_Mage posted:

Isn't one of the platforms of the Golden Dawn "invade Macedonia and make them change their name" ?

I remember hearing that.

Greece is Mad About Names and refuses to allow Macedonia into any IGOs that require consensus under the name Macedonia, hence why they are "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" in the United Nations et al. I hear it's really all because of who gets to claim Alexander as their own, but I don't know if that's true (though it sounds silly enough to be plausible).

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Wait, aren't modern Macedonians of Slavic origin? I thought the Slavs didn't leave the Urals until like, 800 years after Alexander died.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 8, 2013

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

eSports Chaebol posted:

Greece is Mad About Names and refuses to allow Macedonia into any IGOs that require consensus under the name Macedonia, hence why they are "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" in the United Nations et al. I hear it's really all because of who gets to claim Alexander as their own, but I don't know if that's true (though it sounds silly enough to be plausible).

Basically. It's a slap-fight about who was a bad enough dude to take down the Persian Empire. It's a giant oneupmanship contest; the Greeks get mad about Macedonia's name, so the Macedonians rename their airport after Alexander. The Greeks build a giant statue of him, so the Macedonians fly some Pakistani tribe supposedly descended from Greek/Macedonian colonists into their country and hold a big homecoming festival. I heard the Greeks were planning on making a giant Mount-Rushmore-esque Alexander the Great mountain-bust a while back. The debt crisis put an end to that one, I think.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Wait, aren't modern Macedonians of Slavic origin? The Slavs didn't leave the Urals until like, 800 years after Alexander died.

Very probably. The migrating Slavs probably intermarried with the local population, but the ancient kingdom of Macedonia was well outside the borders of the modern republic anyway, so there probably isn't any real link.

Red_Mage posted:

I remember hearing that.

Ha! Hadn't heard that one. Those crazy Greek Nazis! What will they think of next?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

The Sin of Onan posted:

Basically. It's a slap-fight about who was a bad enough dude to take down the Persian Empire. It's a giant oneupmanship contest; the Greeks get mad about Macedonia's name, so the Macedonians rename their airport after Alexander. The Greeks build a giant statue of him, so the Macedonians fly some Pakistani tribe supposedly descended from Greek/Macedonian colonists into their country and hold a big homecoming festival.

It must've been the Kalash people who live in the Chitral region along the border of Afghanistan.

During the Great Game, the British came up with the idea that they and other ethnic groups in the region (Pashtuns mostly) must descend from Greeks because they can look white on occasion. Of course this was bunk and it turns out they're native to the area.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
For all the complaining about the perceived racism in the flat projections, I gotta say its a significant improvement over whatever the gently caress Coppo was using.

Africa looking like an upscaled Norway is pretty boss though. Other highlights include a coral reef shaped Ireland, the English channel separating England and Scotland, Korea just flat out not existing, and Mauritius being the same size as Madagascar.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 8, 2013

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another way to divide up Antartica. I believe this stems from the UK using the Falklands as the base of a claim, saying they had southern facing coastline that faces directly at Antartica, delineated by longitude.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TheIllestVillain posted:

Wait, aren't modern Macedonians of Slavic origin? The Slavs didn't leave the Urals until like, 800 years after Alexander died.

Well they speak Bulgarian so basically they are just Bulgarians who through a quirk of history ended up in a State of Serbo-Croat speakers in a region the Ottomans called Macedonia because it was in vaguely the same area as Macedonia.

That whole region is just ridiculous; did you know Serbs, Croats, and Bosnians are all ethnically the same and speak the same language? The only difference is their religion.

e: Albanians and Kosovars are a whole different kettle of fish though.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm bad at/casually interested in ethnography, and I remember reading about Slav tribes living south of Denmark during the first century, noted in correspondences amongst Roman military leaders. Is this not true, or is there some distinction between North and South Slavs that's applicable?

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I'm bad at/casually interested in ethnography, and I remember reading about Slav tribes living south of Denmark during the first century, noted in correspondences amongst Roman military leaders. Is this not true, or is there some distinction between North and South Slavs that's applicable?

Slavs probably originated from the Ukraine, and probably didn't start major expansion until the 4th-5th century. You're likely thinking of the Saxons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

This Jacket Is Me posted:

According to wikipedia, this group was likely misidentified by Ptolemy, and actually belonged to some other language groups than the Slavs. I'm guessing they were Germanic, since the area is pretty much in the heart of Germanic culture of the time.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well they speak Bulgarian so basically they are just Bulgarians who through a quirk of history ended up in a State of Serbo-Croat speakers in a region the Ottomans called Macedonia because it was in vaguely the same area as Macedonia.

That whole region is just ridiculous; did you know Serbs, Croats, and Bosnians are all ethnically the same and speak the same language? The only difference is their religion.

e: Albanians and Kosovars are a whole different kettle of fish though.

The whole issue, in typical Balkans style, has been blown completely out of proportion. The Macedonians are a Slavic group who inhabit what was in antiquity Upper Macedonia, but which was called Macedonia by the Ottomans. They have called themselves and been known as Macedonians for centuries now. When the Slavs moved to this region, they intermixed with the various populations that had lived their previously in antiquity, and thus the population does have some indirect link to the ancient Macedonians, though if you wanted to identify the majority of the "true" descendents (whatever that means - genetic descendants?) of the ancient Macedonians, you'd have to look to what is now northern Greece.

During the post-Ottoman period, the Greeks wanted to re-assert their links to the ancient past, and they began a campaign of, for instance, re-naming places according to what was believed to be their ancient names. This led to the ridiculous notion that there can only be one "historical" Macedonia in northern Greece - despite the fact that this was Lower Macedonia in antiquity and FYROM was Upper Macedonia. At this time, the Macedonians made little claim to Alexander or the ancient kingdom of Macedon. When archaeology really became prevalent in both countries, however, the antipathy intensified, and in the process the ethnic identities of the inhabitants of FYROM and Greece as we know them today were formed, then hardened.

This whole conflict is especially ironic considering the constant fighting in antiquity over whether the Macedonians were Greek or not. (The concept of Greekness was constantly changing throughout antiquity, so it's a stupid point anyway!)

It's kind of like the French claiming a "Gallic" identity, despite the fact that modern France comprised only one part of the area inhabited by Gallic peoples in antiquity, and that massive population movements since antiquity (including the invasion of the Franks, who gave the country its name) have brought various peoples into this region since.

Basically, ethnicity is a flexible, political category that is constantly defined in opposition to other groups!

A politically-loaded pro-FYROM map of ancient Macedonia before its expansion under Philip II, father of Alexander the Great, claiming a "historical ethnic Macedonia" as if that was some concrete entity that was somehow invaded and occupied already in prehistory by non-Macedonian peoples.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/07/fox_news_expert_on_solar_energy_germany_gets_a_lot_more_sun_than_we_do_video.html

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011
Not political, more social. Certainly interesting if you want to know how far certain cities influence spreads: The United States, divided by the most popular NFL team in each area (according to Facebook likes)

http://deadspin.com/5979970/facebook-data-provides-the-most-accurate-nfl-fandom-map-ever-created

Does this ring true? I like how much of the Upper Peninsula is Packers territory and how Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country. And how the Jets have just one small segment of Long Island where their fans dominate :(

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Andy Impey posted:

Not political, more social. Certainly interesting if you want to know how far certain cities influence spreads: The United States, divided by the most popular NFL team in each area (according to Facebook likes)

http://deadspin.com/5979970/facebook-data-provides-the-most-accurate-nfl-fandom-map-ever-created

Does this ring true? I like how much of the Upper Peninsula is Packers territory and how Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country. And how the Jets have just one small segment of Long Island where their fans dominate :(

From the looks of things, I guess regions without their own franchises generally default to "Steelers fans" or "Cowboys fans" depending on some arcane formula. I do like the voids where people presumably don't watch football (or don't answer surveys), and how certain fandoms stop dead right at the state line.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm really surprised at how popular the Steelers are in the Carolinas, it's not like there's no local team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm really surprised at how popular the Steelers are in the Carolinas, it's not like there's no local team.

Well North Carolina does have a fair amount of Northern transplants in Research Triangle, plus there's also the bandwagon effect. I fully expect to see an uptick in Ravens fans here in Florida.