Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nolanar posted:

From the looks of things, I guess regions without their own franchises generally default to "Steelers fans" or "Cowboys fans" depending on some arcane formula. I do like the voids where people presumably don't watch football (or don't answer surveys), and how certain fandoms stop dead right at the state line.

Mostly Cowboys fans.

EDIT: Whoops, that link was already in the original post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Andy Impey posted:

Does this ring true? I like how much of the Upper Peninsula is Packers territory and how Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country. And how the Jets have just one small segment of Long Island where their fans dominate :(

This is most certainly a thing, it's even a stereotypes that Yoopers are treasonous Packers fans. This has a lot to do with distance, of course, as Green Bay is a lot closer to much of the UP than Detroit is. Also, since the UP was essentially cut off from the rest of Michigan for much of the year before the Bridge was built it makes sense that they're culturally more connected with Wisconsin in some ways.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Not even Oakland supports the Raiders. That's just sad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Montana what the hell are you doing make up your mind :psyduck:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Not even Oakland supports the Raiders. That's just sad.

Oakland supports the Raiders but the rest of Alameda County apparently doesn't. Or at least they don't talk about the Raiders on Facebook.

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher

Just prior to independence the irredtentist movement in Macedonia was hinged upon the remaining Ottoman territory in the Balkans prior to the first Balkan War. All maps showing "ethnic" or "real" Macedonia basically show the Ottoman territory of Macedonia. That map here shows that. There were claims on Alexander the Great but it was second to righting the wrongs of the "injustice" done during the Second Balkan war where Macedonia was "ripped apart by invading forces". Independence in the early 90s was seen as the first step to unifying all the remaining parts.

The whole antiquisation and glorifying of ancient history pretty much gained strength as a result and as a response to Greece. Greece at that time claimed that all things Macedonian as Greek and that Tito invented the ex-YU Macedonian ethnicity as a way to destabilize Greece. There was also the embargo embargo Greece imposed on Macedonia. The embargo was pretty much done to convince Macedonia to change its name. It was pretty poo poo living there during that time. There was literally nothing going well in the country and the elimination of subsidies and major trade partners with the dissolution of Yugoslavia forced the country into complete poverty. And yeah, those are pretty much ideal conditions that lead to grandiose nationalistic delusions.

I can say that then, and especially now, most Macedonians view that whole antiquisation and building of giant statues of Alexander as an embarrassment and terrible ways to spend money. Most don't care about being descendants of ancient Macedonians but they also think Greece are assholes. There is also a feeling that have been calling themselves Macedonians long enough that, Alexander the Great or not, they don't want to give in to Greece. Macedonians just want to be able to enter NATO and the EU if they are able without Greece cockblocking them all the loving time. To Macedonians, Greece's veto power in those organizations means that Macedonia cannot have a non poo poo actual European future and that they'll be stuck in being so very, very Balkan. In the pejorative sense of the word Balkan and all the baggage that it entails.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Have you noticed the GOP is all but dead at the state level in California? Well, political entrepreneur and Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone has and plan to do something about that! No, it's not "treat Hispanics with dignity." It's a secessionist movement! Behold, the glorious state of South California:

This thread has been fascinating, I've been learning so much.
No no no, San Bernardino did not agree to this poo poo.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 9, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lycus posted:

No no no, San Bernardino did not agree to this poo poo.

Well look, how else are you going to link Orange County with Kern County while ignoring all the people in LA? Speaking of which, according to the Football map, Kern County are Cowboys supporters. Even if succession is off the table I think we know what place to kick out of the state. :argh:

Also apparently Alpine County are fans of the Bears? That's pretty much all forest and mountains, what's up with that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also apparently Alpine County are fans of the Bears? That's pretty much all forest and mountains, what's up with that?
Species solidarity?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Soviet Commubot posted:

This is most certainly a thing, it's even a stereotypes that Yoopers are treasonous Packers fans. This has a lot to do with distance, of course, as Green Bay is a lot closer to much of the UP than Detroit is. Also, since the UP was essentially cut off from the rest of Michigan for much of the year before the Bridge was built it makes sense that they're culturally more connected with Wisconsin in some ways.

The best description of the UP that I've heard is that it's a foreign country heavily populated with Americans. Having visited more than a few times now, I think that's pretty apt.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Andy Impey posted:

Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country.

Mostly because of Troy Polamalu (who is of Samoan descent) and Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala (born and raised in Hawaii) I think.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Red_Mage posted:

There was almost a war over this proposed state:

Largely because the people of franklin were like "gently caress all y'all we are seceding from your state"

A portion of my wife's family lived in Franklin and was one of the families to help start it. Basically, the State of North Carolina had no way of providing any kind of protection for them from dangers of the frontier (Cherokee, lost British soldiers, etc), so they actually tried to just take some land and start their own central government. When they weren't accepted as a state (they named it Franklin in hopes of securing the sympathies of at least one certain founding father), they proclaimed a republic. Eventually NC decided they didn't like that and took it and the rest of their territory west of the Appalachians and made Tennessee, which the US government recognized and most of the Franklin residents were happy with this(John Sevier, a Franklin sympathizer, local resident, and colonel at the Battle of King's Mountain, became the 1st TN governor).

More family history related to politically-charged stuff: on my dad's side, we are related to Roger Williams, founder of Providence Plantations, which Rhode Island residents should recognize as a controversial partial-name for their state (Williams was a theologian, not a plantation master, so the term's erroneous. Another fellow founder was female theologian Anne Hutchinson). I know RI has tried to change their name to eliminate the "Plantation" part in recent years due to the negative connotations.

I've never been able to find a map showing the division in RI (if it really exists). I know the area around Portsmouth was included, as was Providence.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

More family history related to politically-charged stuff: on my dad's side, we are related to Roger Williams, founder of Providence Plantations, which Rhode Island residents should recognize as a controversial partial-name for their state (Williams was a theologian, not a plantation master, so the term's erroneous. Another fellow founder was female theologian Anne Hutchinson). I know RI has tried to change their name to eliminate the "Plantation" part in recent years due to the negative connotations.

Considering there never were slave plantations in Rhode Island, this is incredibly stupid.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
A map of undersea cables that power the internet

Linked for huge. The article says that we're only using about 20% of the network's total capacity, but I'm sure that varies by market and peak times. The US and the west are not surprisingly the biggest consumers of bandwidth.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671777/infographic-the-550000-miles-of-undersea-cabling-that-powers-the-internet#1

Link to zoomable map: http://submarine-cable-map-2013.telegeography.com/

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

dr.gigolo posted:

A map of undersea cables that power the internet

Who owns those cables, and who keeps them in working order?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Sucrose posted:

Considering there never were slave plantations in Rhode Island, this is incredibly stupid.

Also a Rhode Islander, and the controversy is pretty dumb. At the time it was named, plantation just meant a place where trees, crops, etc. were planted rather than naturally occurring. The idea of using slave labor for farming in New England is laughable on its face anyway, since why the gently caress would you want to feed, clothe and house your labor force year-round with such a short growing season? What are you going to have them do over the winter, shovel snow?

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
GREATER ROMANIA

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

In spirit of Eastern Europe: Jobbik's wet dream in Hungary

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Someone's taken Balkan nationalist maps to their logical conclusion. :v:

More here: http://geocurrents.info/place/europe/mega-nationalist-fantasy-maps-of-the-balkans

hotgreenpeas
Apr 12, 2008
nm

hotgreenpeas fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 14, 2013

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Edit - Oops

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

lil sartre posted:

GREATER ROMANIA

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

WreckSov posted:

I think they're all owned or co-owned by various telecom companies and they're maintained by various telecom companies or subcontracted out to companies like Tyco's SubCom. It could vary depending on the country though.

Another Israel is Gaza, West Bank and Golan heights map, now with rocket travel times. From one of my favorite blogs, Strange Maps

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/587-maps-as-war-by-other-means

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

ThePutty posted:

In spirit of Eastern Europe: Jobbik's wet dream in Hungary

Huh? How does a Hungarian nationalist group justify taking Croatia? Eastern Europe Catholic solidarity? Or is it just "gently caress it, we need a port"?

Protocol 5 posted:

Also a Rhode Islander, and the controversy is pretty dumb. At the time it was named, plantation just meant a place where trees, crops, etc. were planted rather than naturally occurring. The idea of using slave labor for farming in New England is laughable on its face anyway, since why the gently caress would you want to feed, clothe and house your labor force year-round with such a short growing season? What are you going to have them do over the winter, shovel snow?

The name is certainly something that only the older generations use (like my 90 year old Grandmother). I'm sure it was the consequence of someone from outside coming in during the culture wars of the 60s, seeing that, and thinking "PC FORCES...ACTIVATE!" so they can make themselves feel "enlightened." It's really, really dumb. It's like people who don't like the Native American names for teams but also won't let high schools be the "Warriors" instead because "some warriors were also Native Americans." Never mind that it's a universal term.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

De Nomolos posted:

Huh? How does a Hungarian nationalist group justify taking Croatia? Eastern Europe Catholic solidarity? Or is it just "gently caress it, we need a port"?
Like usual in Europe: History!

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Protocol 5 posted:

Lets just remind ourselves a huge proportion of the atlantic slave trade was through Rhode Island and a large number of the cutesy palatial estates and manors that still exist were built on profit from selling other humans before we get all flippant about it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Jacobin posted:

Lets just remind ourselves a huge proportion of the atlantic slave trade was through Rhode Island and a large number of the cutesy palatial estates and manors that still exist were built on profit from selling other humans before we get all flippant about it

It was given the name by an abolitionist, though. I mean, Rhode Island is the only of the colonies with a genuinely benevolent origin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eSports Chaebol posted:

It was given the name by an abolitionist, though. I mean, Rhode Island is the only of the colonies with a genuinely benevolent origin.

Was Maryland the one that was all "Catholics and Jews can come here!" (I'm guessing so due to the name)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Can you explain this one a little bit? Why did the Japanese mess up the U.S. and Central America so much while everything else is pretty much intact? I think it looks like it might be some sort of WWII era propaganda though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Can you explain this one a little bit? Why did the Japanese mess up the U.S. and Central America so much while everything else is pretty much intact? I think it looks like it might be some sort of WWII era propaganda though.

They also call Canada "Faraway Land" and Argentina "Neue Karlsland"

EDIT: Good job talking about a creepy rear end anime.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There's no reason a mercator projection needs to use the conventional north-south earth axis.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 9, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

computer parts posted:

Was Maryland the one that was all "Catholics and Jews can come here!" (I'm guessing so due to the name)

Maryland was chartered as a colony for Catholics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dusseldorf posted:

There's no reason a mercator projection needs to use the conventional north-south earth axis.

Africa will devour us all! :ohdear:

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

Comrade Putin shall defend Eastern Europe's sovereignty from the Western Homo Nazis! It's the fault of Ukrainians and Westerners that they keep getting in the way of our beatings and missiles!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is a very strange map. It is pre-WWI, as evidenced by the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires most notably, and is for the most part highly accurate. However, North America is completely outrageous, and WTF is that island in the middle of the Pacific?

Edit: I guess I would suppose that it is a copy of a Western map which had been damaged/incompletely copied, and then the rest was filled in from memory, or some such. And maybe they found a little map of that island in the Pacific somewhere and decided it had to belong :p

archaeo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 10, 2013

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
It's from an Anime.

That said, Japanese world maps were pretty hilariously behind the times before they opened up in the mid 19th century.

For example, here's a Japanese map of the world from ~1850. It resembles European maps of the world from about 300 years earlier.

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

WreckSov posted:

It varies. http://www.submarinecablemap.com/ gives a nice interactive map. You can click on individual lines, like say alaska united east that runs the closest to the alaska/ canada shoreline and it gives the owners and a URL: http://www.alaskaunited.com/ . I don't think they are all so good but that URL does a decent job explaining the route, how they prevent line breakages, etc.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Jacobin posted:

P sure the slave traders arrived long after the name was bestowed, unless there were some secret Puritan slave traders selling slaves to colonists that secretly snuck over to North America long before everyone else.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dusseldorf posted:

Jesus Africa, you really let yourself go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
Here's a Hollywoody-loaded map, does that count?