Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

drk posted:

voting power per vote in US elections

https://x.com/laurenboebert/status/1480282088330907659

When she's right, she's right. Abolish the electoral college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The thing with that is, even proportional systems favor the larger parties to some extent, simply because the number of seats up for grabs in any given electoral district (even if the country is one single district as in Israel or the Netherlands) is limited. Anyone voting for a party that didn't meet the threshold still 'wasted' their vote in such a system.

The problem with the US is that they combine first-past-the-post with having multiple electoral districts for straightforward presidential elections, even though that makes no sense and is completely unnecessary. That's why you get these absurd outcomes like Trump winning in 2016, despite trailing his competitor by millions of votes.

e: I wanted to double-check to make sure I was correct in saying that the Netherlands used a single national constituency for elections, and got these suggestions:

As I am a keen observer of neighboring countries, I think I am qualified to answer some of these questions. The Netherlands does not have nukes. It does have snakes. The traditional enemy of the Dutch is the sea, which they have defeated many times, despite the occasional lost battle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That reminds me, I should post this while it's still relevant.

https://twitter.com/RashaAlAqeedi/status/1782125345476382970

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

e: I wanted to double-check to make sure I was correct in saying that the Netherlands used a single national constituency for elections

The Netherlands has full proportional voting, with the common d'Hondt method for dividing leftover seats. Unlike Germany you don't need some particular percentage threshold to get seats, if your party has enough votes for a single seat you will get it.

For the parliament elections there are electoral districts (about 16 iirc) This matters because parties that haven't had seats before need a number of signatures to appear on the ballot in each district. Smaller parties sometimes focus on the districts with their largest fan base, meaning that people in other districts literally can't vote on that party.
The district that comprises 3 Dutch Caribbean islands has fewer voters than needed for even one seat so many parties don't bother with that one.

The other 3 Dutch Caribbean islands are independent countries in the kingdom with separate parliaments.

For the senate elections we use an electoral college. The members are always the newly elected members of the provincial councils (so when you go vote for the province you also choose a new senate). Except for the 3 Caribbean Islands. They have no province so they vote on EC members directly.

There's no EC winner-takes-all bullshit like in some US states, however if a party has a leftover EC vote that wouldn't lead to an additional senate seat, they may vote for another party they're friendly with, to help build a larger coalition early on. I think after the EC is elected each party sits down and calculates if they have leftover EC votes nationally and then negotiates with allied parties to get the most out of it.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 23, 2024

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

Unlike Germany you don't need some particular percentage threshold to get seats, if your party has enough votes for a single seat you will get it.

I think Germany's threshold of 5% nationally is too high but not having one at all leads to government formations that take several months.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Germany had the bonus that they have two parallel voting systems for distributing seats between parties and individual candidates, so if your candidate wins at the local level, you get into the parliament even if your party didn't make it past the threshold. Hell, they even make up an extra seat for you!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Has anyone ever done election by petition? Population of 50,000,000, 500 seats in government = on each election cycle if you can get 100k voters to put their vote on your petition you get a seat. Some timing issues but I'm sure they're solvable with modern tech

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

I think Germany's threshold of 5% nationally is too high but not having one at all leads to government formations that take several months.

They had an election five months ago and still don’t have a prime minister

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We've had several prime ministers without any elections :smuggo:

You can have one of the spares if you want.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

We've had several prime ministers without any elections :smuggo:

You can have one of the spares if you want.

I don't think even your own country wants your prime ministers (unless you are not British?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the more reason to take one! It's a fire sale!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this is the political equivalent of giving someone a puppy, except it’s a sack of scorpion eggs instead

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Liz truss has been really desperate to find somebody who would let her crash on a couch. You can have her if you promise to feed her occasionally

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There are of course members of US Congress that are worse than Liz Truss (and dumber than heads of lettuce), but I don't think she is eligible to replace them.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Netherlands has full proportional voting, ...

You left you the best part of the Dutch system: if the prime minister fucks up bad enough, he gets lynched and eaten by the constituents.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OddObserver posted:

There are of course members of US Congress that are worse than Liz Truss (and dumber than heads of lettuce), but I don't think she is eligible to replace them.
The place she wants to be the congresswoman for can gerrymander the district to include Liz's house.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

As I am a keen observer of neighboring countries, I think I am qualified to answer some of these questions. The Netherlands does not have nukes.

They do, and they're at Volkel.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are nuclear weapons physically present in the Netherlands, yes. If that's the criterion, Belgium 'has' nukes as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The place she wants to be the congresswoman for can gerrymander the district to include Liz's house.

Thetford, Alabama :hmmyes:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Liz truss has been really desperate to find somebody who would let her crash on a couch. You can have her if you promise to feed her occasionally
With her love of pork, she should come to Denmark.

Our queen has abdicated, so it should be safe.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

With her love of pork, she should come to Denmark.

Our queen has abdicated, so it should be safe.

We have a new queen though! I suppose she's safe from poisoning on account of being Australian?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Re: conversion to Christianity in Europe: it also meant you could no longer be enslaved by other Christians.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Re: conversion to Christianity in Europe: it also meant you could no longer be enslaved by other Christians.

Post/username combo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BonHair posted:

Iceland conveniently adopted Christianity in 1000 ad by essentially a big compromise (and some violence and instability beforehand). I get the impression that it was mostly about foreign relations, and maybe some people didn't actually convert in the sense that they stopped believing in Thor and friends.

Also England went Protestant because the king didn't like his wife. Religion on a societal level is mostly politics.

Part of the deal was that everyone was supposed to publicly convert but everyone was still allowed to worship the old gods at home, eat horse meat, and leave any unwanted children to the elements.

Even to this day Icelanders still speak of weather being shaped by "The Weather Gods" and whatever God related idioms we pilfer from other languages usually have gods in the plural.

I've also read a invisibility spell in a 17th century grimoire where Baldur, Odin, Thor (and a number of their relatives and colleagues) are invoked to cloak the user from their enemies. The same grimoire also features more Christian focused wards and spells. So syncretism was obviously common with the wizardry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't already you'd probably enjoy the Esoterica youtube channel, lots of videos on historical occultism from an academic perspective.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

We have a new queen though! I suppose she's safe from poisoning on account of being Australian?
Not a queen regnant.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't already you'd probably enjoy the Esoterica youtube channel, lots of videos on historical occultism from an academic perspective.

I put him on to soothe me to sleep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He does have a very nice speaking voice

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently this is the designated day to commemorate this.

I think there are a lot of Turks on reddit who are upset about this, posting in defense of Turkic atrocity.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The one you quoted has mostly people downvoting the genocide deniers, but if you look at the upvoted comments on your first map, well:

+190 karma post posted:

Concentration camps? Historic armenian borders? If you want to write fiction then don't pretend it's a real map.

+66 karma post posted:

Only kim kardashian believes that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 24, 2024

taters
Jun 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/onlmaps/status/1591757257393700864

Ole

Edit - has the rest of Scandinavia asked Stockholm to keep it down?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to see Iceland on its seasonal migration

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've sailed down to Spain to ask them to keep the noise down.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I imagine Andalucia is just a constant din of British and German tourists shouting to be heard over non stop Flamenco music.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Iceland manoeuvering ever closer to launch its annual raid on the Basque Country, staying quiet until the time is right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nice to seehear Manchester on the map.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

This is based on what exactly, some kid on his gap year's travel journal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hell of a gap year, if so

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Population density correlation to loudness? Except for spain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think of the Dutch as an especially loud people. Well except for Amsterdam but then it's just a bunch of louts from Britain getting wasted.