Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume that's Oklahoma.

US American states love their panhandles, I assume for marketing and tourism purposes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phlegmish posted:

I assume that's Oklahoma.

US American states love their panhandles, I assume for marketing and tourism purposes.

wrong, this one was for mass resettlement as part of a genocide and also slavery

(if texas poked up that far then it would enter the latitude where slavery was forbidden as part of the missouri compromise and so gave it up as indian territory)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
apologies, it was not officially part of indian territory but rather an area of "public domain", as the resettled indians learned when they tried to own or rent land there

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

I don't think of the Dutch as an especially loud people. Well except for Amsterdam but then it's just a bunch of louts from Britain getting wasted.
They're only just on the loud side of the legend, so it really depends on who you compare them to. As mentioned, it also appears to correlate with population density to some degree, so the Dutch might not be particularly loud if you adjust for that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Over here, the Dutch are known to be, uh, 'open' and assertive. I guess it's all relative. If you're from a loud culture yourself, they probably don't stand out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Over here, the Dutch are known to be, uh, 'open' and assertive. I guess it's all relative. If you're from a loud culture yourself, they probably don't stand out.

Blunt. Not overly tactful.

Still, not loud.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Helsinkians are not the loud Finns, Karelians are, and we've got our tentacles everywhere

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Updating my romantic escapades map of Europe, labeling the dutch as "open, loud."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

1932 Japanese map of the world
https://earthlymission.com/japanese-stereotype-map-world-1932/

And if that's too much to poke through, I found the whole map after seeing a version somebody cropped to mainly the continental US.

Although if you poke around the larger map, the map also is very conscious about noting the outer reaches of the Liberian empire as very militarized with lots of guns, moreso than it is wary of the British or Russian empires (and potenially even unaware of the Dutch and French empires).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's up with the guy with a huge forehead, struggling over the book? He's near NYC.

Lots of sports emphasis, which I don't see too much of on these stereotype sort of maps.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Count Roland posted:

What's up with the guy with a huge forehead, struggling over the book? He's near NYC.

Lots of sports emphasis, which I don't see too much of on these stereotype sort of maps.

looks kinda like a cross between the two hoovers (herbert and j edgar)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I don't think of the Dutch as an especially loud people. Well except for Amsterdam but then it's just a bunch of louts from Britain getting wasted.

Like Phlegmish said, it's relative. To most Belgians, the Dutch are loud. But then I realise we are actually very quiet compared to most of our neighbours. When my friend's now American wife visited Belgium for the first time, she thought the country was in mourning because someone important like the king had just died, because she found us soo eerily subdued and quiet.

In that respect, visiting Norway was like heaven to me. The only actually pretty loud place I remember was Bergen, and even that was very manageable.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Dutch are definitely loud — famously loud at campsites across Europe. I don’t really have that stereotype of them being loud *in NL*, but when they’re abroad they’re super noisy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've done a couple of camping road trips around Sweden and Denmark and one curious thing I noticed is how many Dutch people are everywhere. Especially in the also strangely large number of Dutch owned campsites.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've done a couple of camping road trips around Sweden and Denmark and one curious thing I noticed is how many Dutch people are everywhere. Especially in the also strangely large number of Dutch owned campsites.
I've literally never seen a Dutch person. Then again, I'm not into camping, so perhaps they stay out of my way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
politically-loaded maps:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I've literally never seen a Dutch person.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
The Dutch are just really into camping. I was staying at a camping near Interlaken last summer and I was not expecting 80%+ of people to be Dutch.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also every campsite in Europe has a handful of Germans.

These come in two flavours:

-Bicycle Germans in tiny tents who are only stopping to sleep before carrying on biking to god knows where.

-Retirees usually in huge camper vans. They will scold you for breathing after 17:00. They bring all their food from home as not to spend a single coin on anything in whatever country they are currently terrorising. None of them speak English.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Germans are infamous in Denmark and the Netherlands for digging deep holes in the beach.
They're infamous in Sweden and Norway for stealing "beware of moose" signs.

This comic ties those facts together.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I go on big hikes sometimes in North America, where you have to camp along the trail. I always run into a German couple. Rarely other foreigners.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It depends. My family is really loud and my friends are even louder. Sometimes I feel bad at restaurants.

I guess in Canada, you would hear me talk with my friends from every corner of the territory.

I am trying to learn the skill to talk low, so only the person in front of me can hear what I say, but is hard to forget a habit.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
if haiti was on that chart it would be a vantablack that sucks in all surrounding monitor light

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there are a lot of Turks on reddit who are upset about this, posting in defense of Turkic atrocity.

The world’s first spambot, Serdar Argic, was created to deny the Armenian Genocide.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
forget loudness is social situations, i wanna know which regions post the most

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Tree Goat posted:

forget loudness is social situations, i wanna know which regions post the most

Per capita? Gotta be the Finns, they're all on SA

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SimonSays posted:

Per capita? Gotta be the Finns, they're all on SA

I would say Iceland just because the populations so small and I know there's quite a few of them on here.

Finns are definitely second with probably norweigans 3rd

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I would say Iceland just because the populations so small and I know there's quite a few of them on here.

Finns are definitely second with probably norweigans 3rd
The thing is, Finns also pretend to be Balkan nationalists on the internet, so there's gonna be a systemic undercount of them if you go by posted self-identification.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Germans are infamous in Denmark and the Netherlands for digging deep holes in the beach.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As far as I know there are only two Finns here.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Checks out. I am German and I enjoy digging holes at the beach.
Though I haven't done it in 20 years. By it I mean going to the beach.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I went to the easternmost point in the EU once, a lake in the middle of nowhere in Ilomantsi, and there was a German camper van guy doing a vlog there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is why they dig holes, the hollow earth is full of Germans. Surface Germans are a cover operation, backpacking Germans are hollow earth Germans on holiday.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are they trying to return to the hollow earth, or are they trying to bring more Germans to the surface?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I am a Deutsch and I'm digging a hole. Diggy diggy hole. Diggy diggy hole.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ras Het posted:

I went to the easternmost point in the EU once, a lake in the middle of nowhere in Ilomantsi, and there was a German camper van guy doing a vlog there

When I googled the easternmost point of the EU and clicked on maps it showed me the "Easternmost point of Greater London".

Google respecting are soverinty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just looks like a field with some streams.

World class city? pff

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Private Speech posted:

When I googled the easternmost point of the EU and clicked on maps it showed me the "Easternmost point of Greater London".

Google respecting are soverinty.

I think if you were to be invested enough in the history, culture and geography of London for the easternmost point of Greater London to be a meaningful spot to you, I think you'd actually know more of the world than by zooming around the planet visiting the easternmost points of international federations like I do

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So what happens if you step over the border? It must be a temptation for the tourists, right?

Do the Russians chase you when you go back to Finland or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ras Het posted:

The eastern most point of the EU is Réunion.