Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
In a similar vein:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The joke is no Central Europe.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

sigh, this is actually a major improvement in the status quo

(for those who cant read american, these are roughly 250-400 km/h)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird map to explicitly leave out this thing. Florida may suck generally, but private enterprise did manage to do something for once.

I think there's other plans for high speed rail as well, but it's hard to sort out the "real" plans and the wishful thinking. I don't think high speed rail is going to be a major panacea for the state of rail in the US as a whole, but maybe if it gets more people interested in rail in general Amtrak might try getting more of its act together. Maybe some there'll be more people inspired to make use of local light rail systems.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Brightline Florida is only 200 km/h, which doesnt qualify as high speed rail.

Its fast for the US, but not technically high speed.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

It's a little hard to tell because of the projection, but Florida extends even further south than Texas, so I think they just forgot most of the state.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

Egypt has extended as far west as Siwa for roughly 2,500 years, even though the southwesterly corner of modern Egyptian territory is incredibly empty and the various nomadic groups that would've passed through occasionally would be very hard to keep track of.
What is wild about the south-west is that there is archaeological evidence of an extremely long goatpath from the Nile to ??? that supposedly ancient Egyptians used regularly, often even, to trade with people out that way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 1, 2024

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Norwich council has an interesting border.

quote:

the city council is also the port authority for the Port of Norwich, and as such the council controls the navigable River Yare downstream as far as Hardley Cross.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What wild about the south-west is that there is archaeological evidence of an extremely long goatpath from the Nile to ??? that supposedly ancient Egyptians used regularly, often even, to trade with people out that way.

By ancient you mean like prehistoric - like before 3500 BC? The Western Desert was more like the Western Steppe until something like 6000-5000 BC when it turned into desert, and it probably wasn’t uninhabitably dry desert until like 2000 BC. Cave of Swimmers was painted around 5000 BC, give or take 1000 years.

There’s enough of an overlap that the first written Egyptian records might have still been going on while people were still living out in that plateau, but they were definitely long gone by 1500 BC, as far as anything southwest of Mut / Kharga goes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Norwich council has an interesting border.

These norwich names make em think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEAIpEy5yvw&t=234s

"terrington st clement"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Saladman posted:

By ancient you mean like prehistoric - like before 3500 BC? The Western Desert was more like the Western Steppe until something like 6000-5000 BC when it turned into desert, and it probably wasn’t uninhabitably dry desert until like 2000 BC. Cave of Swimmers was painted around 5000 BC, give or take 1000 years.

There’s enough of an overlap that the first written Egyptian records might have still been going on while people were still living out in that plateau, but they were definitely long gone by 1500 BC, as far as anything southwest of Mut / Kharga goes.
Unfortunately I did not bookmark the thing I read on it and its been a while so I cant remember.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mean (arithmetic) and median population center of the USA over time. I guess the mode would just be NYC?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They should move the capital based on that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Mean (arithmetic) and median population center of the USA over time. I guess the mode would just be NYC?

Mode is wherever the deepest recursive piggyback is currently taking place.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wouldn't the mode population centre be like, wherever there's currently a woman giving birth to triplets/quadruplets/etc? Those are really the only points where the mode arguably isn't 1.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I guess the mode would just be NYC?

Yeah pretty much. The number 2 city jumped around a lot, but NYC was always in the lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_populous_cities_in_the_United_States_by_decade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_historical_population

Although going by most populous state, it's a bit more dynamic. NY was only number 5 in 1790, climbed to number 1 in 1810, and then outpaced by CA in 1970. NY has since fallen to number 4.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_historical_population

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Feel like it's come up before, but Florida has seen insane growth over the decades, they're in third place now. It only had 2.8 million people in 1950. Don't pay attention to the memes, Americans loving love Florida.

California's been losing population these last few years, but the trend could reverse itself with international migration picking back up again.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, and this has been going on non-stop for decades and decades now. It's crazy. They love Florida.

Illinois not doing so hot, although I wasn't aware they even had metro areas other than the one around Chicago.

Puerto Rico is not a state, but if it were, it would be the only one (other than I guess Hawaii, which does surprise me) that is fully purple in the second map. Combination of a low fertility rate and a highly negative net migration rate.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I had to spend 15 years in FL and I have no loving idea what's bringing people there. The weather sucks. It's completely flat and no interesting scenery. 95% of the state is either subdivisions or strip malls. The economy sucks for everyone that isn't a rich retiree.

Pretty sure people have this view of FL as a year round vacation paradise that does not at all match up to reality.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It bothers me that the bubble size and the position on the X axis mean the exact same thing.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

It bothers me that the bubble size and the position on the X axis mean the exact same thing.

Look the creator had just learned that they could map size as an aesthetic to geom_point okay

Lmao I also just noticed they had to lower the alpha on the points because the scaling lead to more widespread overplotting issues

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

many of these trends are probably right but notable that these are based on the population estimates which ended up being really wrong over the last decade and which they have not changed the methodology for

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kennel posted:

They should move the capital based on that.

Until 2030, Congress meets in Princeton (this time in Indiana rather than New Jersey) and the President resides in a white house along Beaver Creek in rural Missouri. Until the US adds/subtracts states, the Supreme Court convenes several miles north of Belle Fourche, South Dakota.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 2, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Wrong. Bubble size is the absolute value, while the X axis has positive and negative values.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mustang posted:

I had to spend 15 years in FL and I have no loving idea what's bringing people there. The weather sucks. It's completely flat and no interesting scenery. 95% of the state is either subdivisions or strip malls. The economy sucks for everyone that isn't a rich retiree.

Pretty sure people have this view of FL as a year round vacation paradise that does not at all match up to reality.

Isn't that a decent chunk of the people moving there though?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Why don't people just move to Hawaii instead? Seems like it would be a much nicer retirement place to move to if you have the money for it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Why don't people just move to Hawaii instead? Seems like it would be a much nicer retirement place to move to if you have the money for it.
The cost of living of Hawaii is 75% higher than Florida. You have to be pretty drat rich for that not to matter. Also, Florida being popular with old people makes it more popular with old people, who can create entire towns where the minimum age is like 65 and there's even less of a risk of having your views challenged.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I guess if you move to Florida to retire, at least you might die before the whole state slides into the sea.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The cost of living of Hawaii is 75% higher than Florida. You have to be pretty drat rich for that not to matter. Also, Florida being popular with old people makes it more popular with old people, who can create entire towns where the minimum age is like 65 and there's even less of a risk of having your views challenged.

It's also way more convenient to get to Florida, particularly from the East Coast.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you move to Hawaii you give your estranged adult children the easy excuse of it being a several hour flight when you complain that they don't visit you often.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, Hawaii is incredibly expensive, but regardless, I get the impression that people tend to overstate how old Florida's population is. For it to have such sustained growth decade after decade, clearly something is drawing young people and families as well. This is its population pyramid, despite a slight overrepresentation of the retired cohorts it's not radically different from that of the USA in general:

Mustang's post was interesting in that regard. He couldn't understand why people would want to move there. My immediate thought was that it probably involves factors similar to the ones that compelled him to live there for 15 years himself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wendover has a a video on the development of Florida if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqxfBhlwx0 A lot of having to terraform the land.

I think a lot has to do with technology, a lot of places were much more of a pain to inhabit before air conditioning. The population of Texas has tripled since 1960. California had its population boom a bit earlier, from 5 million in 1930 to 20 million in 1970. Arizona and Colorado have more recent population booms in the last few decades. Arizona growing a bit faster, but it seems like that should be doomed from its water issues. Maybe someday Alaska will have a boom.

Private Speech posted:

More expensive to live in, more expensive to get to (so forget about the grandkids visiting), more expensive to leave if you wanna visit others or if you priced your living wrong (there's a big trapped homeless population in Hawaii). Not much space in general, Hawaii is #43 in the US for size but #13 for density. The US's other island territories like Puerto Rico and Guam are also pretty up there in density.

The nature is a lot less neutralized than the Floridian swamps. CGP Grey wasn't a fan.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

many of these trends are probably right but notable that these are based on the population estimates which ended up being really wrong over the last decade and which they have not changed the methodology for

Can you expand on this? Which estimates are wrong, and how is it known they're wrong?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wrong. Bubble size is the absolute value, while the X axis has positive and negative values.

...Huh, you're right. Hadn't thought of that. I bow to your superior nitpicking.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, Hawaii is incredibly expensive, but regardless, I get the impression that people tend to overstate how old Florida's population is. For it to have such sustained growth decade after decade, clearly something is drawing young people and families as well. This is its population pyramid, despite a slight overrepresentation of the retired cohorts it's not radically different from that of the USA in general:

Mustang's post was interesting in that regard. He couldn't understand why people would want to move there. My immediate thought was that it probably involves factors similar to the ones that compelled him to live there for 15 years himself.

The entire sunbelt is where all of americas internal migration is going because of better weather and cheap(er) land except for California because they gave up on the cheap part.

Florida is starting to become horrendously expensive as well though especially since global warming means absurd homeowner insurance rates that just keep increasing. It still has a bit before the state gets to California levels but once it does it’s probably going to start bleeding people

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what could go wrong with rapidly increasing the population of a state directly in the front line of climate change?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reveilled posted:

Wouldn't the mode population centre be like, wherever there's currently a woman giving birth to triplets/quadruplets/etc? Those are really the only points where the mode arguably isn't 1.

it’s a 2D map, so “tallest apartment building” is probably it if residence is the question

E: but then mode is “most common”, so it’s “everywhere with either 1 or 0 depending on which is most common at the chosen granularity”?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Can you expand on this? Which estimates are wrong, and how is it known they're wrong?

I don’t have a link to the article now but I’ll quote you again if I find one

The main way we know they’re wrong is that the estimates said all of last decade that certain places were losing population (Chicago is the main one I’m aware of since I live here, but it applies elsewhere) and then when the census happened that turned out not to be true