Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

Maryland was chartered as a colony for Catholics.

To elaborate it was founded by Catholic proprietors and at first was pretty tolerant for its time, even if Catholics were generally preferred for positions of power. Then Puritans became the majority and overthrew the government, establishing a new one which outlawed Catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

To elaborate it was founded by Catholic proprietors and at first was pretty tolerant for its time, even if Catholics were generally preferred for positions of power. Then Puritans became the majority and overthrew the government, establishing a new one which outlawed Catholicism.

And that's why we have the 1st Amendment!

Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, I think, probably the 'best' colonies.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Crameltonian posted:

Lord Baltimore was a huge proponent of the "refuge for English Catholics" idea, hence the city of Baltimore.

the JJ posted:

The last slave wasn't free in Pennsylvania until 1847, thanks to the way they decided to do abolition. Your children would be free, but you'd remain a slave for life.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Farecoal posted:

The last slave wasn't free in Pennsylvania until 1847, thanks to the way they decided to do abolition. Your children would be free, but you'd remain a slave for life.

This suggests that the last slave died rather than gained freedom.

also: Wikipedia tells me that their children were indentured servants until 28.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
SPEAKING OF Colonial America and Maps (to get back on topic):

The Middle Colonies, with convenient color-coding to show where settlements weren't allowed (aka: where Injuns and Frogs were likely). Never seen one actually separate these areas out from the colonies so clearly.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I have a 1938 World Atlas lying around. Any maps you want me to scan out of it? Or possibly descriptions of countries? (Like Hedjaz and Najd being two different sovereign nations involved in a federation named "Saudi Arabia")

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Patter Song posted:

So I have a 1938 World Atlas lying around. Any maps you want me to scan out of it? Or possibly descriptions of countries? (Like Hedjaz and Najd being two different sovereign nations involved in a federation named "Saudi Arabia")

It'd be cool to see China according to contemporaries around then.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Patter Song posted:

I have a 1947 wall map of the world that has some interesting stuff like that. Germany's occupies zones, all the USSR claims in tact, African colonies, Trans-Jordan/Palestine/"Proposed Jewish State", dotted line boundaries in western Poland, that sort of stuff. It's in really delicate condition since it was on my grandad's wall in his workshop for 6 years. It doesn't have any of that in Saudi Arabia, though. I'd like to see it.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Andy Impey posted:

Not political, more social. Certainly interesting if you want to know how far certain cities influence spreads: The United States, divided by the most popular NFL team in each area (according to Facebook likes)

http://deadspin.com/5979970/facebook-data-provides-the-most-accurate-nfl-fandom-map-ever-created

Does this ring true? I like how much of the Upper Peninsula is Packers territory and how Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country. And how the Jets have just one small segment of Long Island where their fans dominate :(

My dad is one of those inexplicable Packers fans in Haywood County, North Carolina.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

say no to scurvy posted:

This suggests that the last slave died rather than gained freedom.

also: Wikipedia tells me that their children were indentured servants until 28.

Yeah,I used the wrong word. Apparently that system became the model for other northern colonies/states.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Winner is Jew posted:

I would post the a picture of the map, but it's interactive and really cool so here is a link to it instead.

Highlight in the entry for Milledgeville, it says: "In the state capital, in a mock legislative session, drunken Union troops voted that Georgia would rejoin the Union."

I have a feeling that this event was probably hilarious.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

It'd be cool to see China according to contemporaries around then.

I'll have access to a scanner tomorrow. I'll also say that this atlas has things like "Ethiopia: See Italian Empire of East Africa."

sum
Nov 15, 2010

the JJ posted:

Rhode Island has the distinction of inventing the concept of "state's rights" (to commit treason when convenient) and essentially opted out of the War of 1812 in favor of selling supplies to the British, although that wasn't when it was a colony per se.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

An ethnic map of Chicago and suburbs. See if you can spot Cook County Jail.
Link to Huge

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Probably that dense rectangle of blue in the orange heartland by the great gray band, I guess? :sigh:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Mercator Projection's Eurocentrism and Americentrism

Mercator are primary navigational (shipping) plots precisely because a Rhumb Line represents a degree of travel (course heading).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

esquilax posted:

Link to Huge

These maps really freak me out because of how obviously "ghetto-ised" American cities are.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

These maps really freak me out because of how obviously "ghetto-ised" American cities are.

In Detroit you can see exactly where 8 Mile is.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
These maps always make me so proud of my home city.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amarkov posted:

These maps always make me so proud of my home city.

Too bad about the boring though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Do similar ones exist for European cities? You may be surprised at how they are.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

esquilax posted:

Link to Huge

That little cluster of whiteness on the Lake on the far right side is Whiting, I think, if I'm reading the map right. Growing up in the area, my parents always told me that Whiting "kept their property values high." I realize now that that was a dogwhistle for "prevented the poor, black people from East Chicago and Gary from moving in."

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

computer parts posted:

Do similar ones exist for European cities? You may be surprised at how they are.

http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/evans/docs/Londons_ethnic_groups.htm

The maps don't exactly show "ghettos", but they do reveal how utterly horrible Outer London is.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ras Het posted:

http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/evans/docs/Londons_ethnic_groups.htm

The maps don't exactly show "ghettos", but they do reveal how utterly horrible Outer London is.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of French cities mapped out in the same way with the banlieues.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol
Since these maps seem pretty popular, why not link to the whole set? Plus an interactive NY Times version of the map:

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157626354149574/detail/

e: my hometown

Click for huge

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 11, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of French cities mapped out in the same way with the banlieues.

That's the reverse situation...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Here's a small selection of sort of kind of ethnic maps for Berlin:

Turkish nationals

Polish nationals

Nationals of Arab states, including Palestine

Combined total of a) foreign nationals, b) Germans born abroad, c) Germans under 18 years of age born in Germany with at least one parent who was born abroad

Skin color/race isn't recorded, though, so this is probably as close as you're going to get to those dot maps for American cities.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Hello Towel posted:

That little cluster of whiteness on the Lake on the far right side is Whiting, I think, if I'm reading the map right. Growing up in the area, my parents always told me that Whiting "kept their property values high." I realize now that that was a dogwhistle for "prevented the poor, black people from East Chicago and Gary from moving in."

I think that's Hegewisch, isn't it? I lived there as a baby back in the 80's. From what I remember, the Calumet River kind of sectioned it off from the rest of the South Side and Wolf Lake from Indiana. It's still got a lot of Polish and Italian I think.

E: No that's Hyde Park. Hegewisch is the now-Latino area south of the Lake.

EE: But it used to stay white out later, if you catch my drift. The 2000 version:

menino fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 11, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
When you post these Ethnographic maps, could you also put down what city it is? I can recognize Amarkov's as San Jose, but I have no idea where Senor Gato's is.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

You're right that Hegewisch had a lot of white people until recently, but I'm talking about the bit I circled in red here. It's down on the very edge.

E: And looking at the newer map vs. the older one, you can see that there are already a number of Latino people moving into that area.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Did any European cities (or countries) have the same sort of housing discrimination/white flight cycle that caused the hyper-seggregation of the big northern cities in the US?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Hello Towel posted:

You're right that Hegewisch had a lot of white people until recently, but I'm talking about the bit I circled in red here. It's down on the very edge.

E: And looking at the newer map vs. the older one, you can see that there are already a number of Latino people moving into that area.

I see. That's weird. I didn't know Whiting existed. My family is from South Holland/Hammond/Highland and I always assumed it was all Hammond next to Chicago. Whiting seems to be just that one cluster of houses between Indianapolis Blvd and the lake?

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Dusseldorf posted:

Did any European cities (or countries) have the same sort of housing discrimination/white flight cycle that caused the hyper-seggregation of the big northern cities in the US?

So far as the UK is concerned, yes, roughly speaking - just look at that map of the ethnic concentrations in London. I don't think the discriminatory practices were as blatant, at any rate after anti-discrimination legislation came in, in the 70s, but white people moving out of inner city areas once they start being heavily populated by whatever ethnic minority is every bit as common.

My mother grew up in part of Bradford that would have been pretty much totally white at the time, and fairly middle class. It's now mostly populated by people of Pakistani or Indian origin, and it's become a stereotypical inner city area with the usual problems.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

menino posted:

I see. That's weird. I didn't know Whiting existed. My family is from South Holland/Hammond/Highland and I always assumed it was all Hammond next to Chicago. Whiting seems to be just that one cluster of houses between Indianapolis Blvd and the lake?

Indianapolis Blvd runs though Whiting. A little part of it extends all the way down to Cline. Hammond surrounds Whiting on two sides, with the lake and East Chicago on the other two. Glad to have someone to chat about NWI with, hah.

For content:

As a whole, Gary, IN is 85% African-American, largely due to white flight in the 1970s. This map shows race distribution in the area (darker blue = higher % African-American) The part on the far right, colored lighter, is called Miller, or Miller Beach. It was formerly an independent town, and was taken by the city of Gary in the 1918. It includes parts of the well-known Indiana Dunes. It's interesting (and extremely unfortunate) to me to see the racial polarization in the suburban area where I grew up, accompanying the demise of the steel industry.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ras Het posted:

That's the reverse situation...

Er yeah. I shouldn't post while on a lot of cold medication.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Milwaukee is supposedly the most segregated city in the US. I buy it.

Another fun round of "Spot the Prison" here.

Angiepants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 11, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Dusseldorf posted:

To add to this, don't minorities in Europe tend to live in the suburbs as opposed to the inner city? I've never been to Europe, though.

Fun fact, the places that are getting abandoned the most now are the first ring suburbs. It'll be interesting to see if that eventually spreads to further out suburbs because they won't be economically viable anymore to commute from anymore.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Angiepants posted:

Milwaukee is supposedly the most segregated city in the US. I buy it.

Another fun round of "Spot the Prison" here.

More like "Spot Marquette"

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Boon posted:

More like "Spot Marquette"

Spot the Prison would be really fun if there was a statewide map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Angiepants posted:

Spot the Prison would be really fun if there was a statewide map.

There is. That's a screen shot of the NYT's Mapping America. It's posted in this thread and interactive for all kinds of census data.