Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Andy Impey posted:

Hawaii is apparently hardcore Steelers country.

Mostly because of Troy Polamalu (who is of Samoan descent) and Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala (born and raised in Hawaii) I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What does electronic clearance mean? It costs like $15 to purchase a tourist visa at the airport in Istanbul, for instance.

In the case of Australia, it means this. You don't have to lodge a regular visa application and wait for it to be approved. Even though Americans can travel to Australia without a de jure visa, this is basically a de facto visa in my opinion.

Also, in the case of Australia you are required to purchase the ETA before you fly. Maybe you can purchase one last minute at your departing airport, but once you arrive in Australia I think you're boned without it.

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

wukkar posted:

Ya know, I could actually see "we have to go back to plant a new flag to replace the stars and strips MERICA!!" being a rally cry for dumb congressman to finally increase NASA funding enough.

The Onion article basically writes itself here. Maybe with just a little less bombast.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It'd be funny if someone made a Civ 5 mod lumping all Euro-American civs into a single "White People" civilization led by the white Jesus. Then we could have different Native American/African/Indian/Polynesian nation-states or civilizations to choose from.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Since it's where I live, how about some politically loaded maps of Hawaii?

Kaho'olawe was a Navy bombing range from 1941-1990. Of the eight main Hawaiian islands, this is one of two you're likely to never set foot on. The other is Ni'ihau, home to approximately 200 native Hawaiians and the only place in Hawaii where Hawaiian is the primary/native language.

Second one comes from this website: http://www.nohohewa.com/occupied-areas/ Long story short, there is a vocal minority of activists who believe that the Hawaiian Kingdom was illegally overthrown in 1893 and has since been under occupation. Thus the various political entities of Hawaii over the years from independent Republic, to American territory, to American state are all null.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll go with consumption of beef.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Frostwerks posted:

Is there a hawaiian mob

Da Hui, brah.

I can confirm that Honolulu is mostly a dump. Doubly-so if you can only find minimum-wage work. You can get a run-down piece of poo poo 1BR in town so you can live close to work, but enjoy sharing it because you'll work the entire month just to make rent. Or, you can rent something only slightly cheaper 'Ewa side but then get to enjoy the worst traffic in America on your way to work.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
That globe also appears to show Taiwan as part of China, and there appears to be a dashed line extending far south into the South China Sea. Oh, I wonder what that could ever mean.

The Korean classroom globe that was apparently made in China called it Sea of Japan, must be some Sino-Japanese conspiracy against Korea to force such an illegitimate name upon the world.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

It's too bad that nobody in Colorado gets to enjoy Colorado marijuana. Those drat Wyomingans. :argh:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hawai'i should be color coded yellow.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd like to know how '2nd' or '3rd' could be more popular than '1st'.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

Hawaii
Lehua, 20
Kukui, 13
9th / Ninth, 12
4th / Fourth, 11
Kahili, 11
11th / Eleventh, 10
12th / Twelfth, 10
Aloha, 10
Malulani, 10
13th / Thirteenth, 9

I live in Hawaii and this is somewhat of a headscratcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Japanese phonology is pretty drat easy for English speakers. Way, way easier than Mandarin. The syntax isn't all too difficult either once one gets used to SOV word order and postposition usage, though I still get tripped up by when exactly to use wa/ga or ni/de, just as Japanese students learning English frequently mix up in/on/at. The sociolinguistic and paralinguistic side of things is a bit more challenging.

If all you wanted to do was get to conversational competence, it ain't so bad. But tossing the writing system in makes Japanese the nightmare that is to really master.