Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Lord Hydronium posted:

Edit: Irredentist stamps.

Reminds me of these stamps from the German "Westmark" period for Saarland (my family is from here):

And the accompanying maps:

Sudeten stamp for good measure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

If I recall correctly, the premise of the map was "if we had the benefit of hindsight when redrawing the map of the middle east post-WWI and through the era of decolonisation, what would have been the best way to do it?"

I somewhat doubt this would indeed be the best way to do it. So, in a similar vein:

Maryland goes with Hudson/Del. (the Eastern Shore is no different from Delaware), WV goes with the CSA, and NoVA is rolled back into DC (as it originally was) to form a Singapore-style city-state.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Varkk posted:

Fantasy political maps

Can't wait til we get some maps for this one, too:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/01/glenn-beck-theme-park-tea-party

Thought this one was interesting. The world as The Guardian sees it (size determined by what they wrote about the most):

Anyone know if something like this exists for other media outlets?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Red_Mage posted:

There was almost a war over this proposed state:

Largely because the people of franklin were like "gently caress all y'all we are seceding from your state"

A portion of my wife's family lived in Franklin and was one of the families to help start it. Basically, the State of North Carolina had no way of providing any kind of protection for them from dangers of the frontier (Cherokee, lost British soldiers, etc), so they actually tried to just take some land and start their own central government. When they weren't accepted as a state (they named it Franklin in hopes of securing the sympathies of at least one certain founding father), they proclaimed a republic. Eventually NC decided they didn't like that and took it and the rest of their territory west of the Appalachians and made Tennessee, which the US government recognized and most of the Franklin residents were happy with this(John Sevier, a Franklin sympathizer, local resident, and colonel at the Battle of King's Mountain, became the 1st TN governor).

More family history related to politically-charged stuff: on my dad's side, we are related to Roger Williams, founder of Providence Plantations, which Rhode Island residents should recognize as a controversial partial-name for their state (Williams was a theologian, not a plantation master, so the term's erroneous. Another fellow founder was female theologian Anne Hutchinson). I know RI has tried to change their name to eliminate the "Plantation" part in recent years due to the negative connotations.

I've never been able to find a map showing the division in RI (if it really exists). I know the area around Portsmouth was included, as was Providence.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

ThePutty posted:

In spirit of Eastern Europe: Jobbik's wet dream in Hungary

Huh? How does a Hungarian nationalist group justify taking Croatia? Eastern Europe Catholic solidarity? Or is it just "gently caress it, we need a port"?

Protocol 5 posted:

Also a Rhode Islander, and the controversy is pretty dumb. At the time it was named, plantation just meant a place where trees, crops, etc. were planted rather than naturally occurring. The idea of using slave labor for farming in New England is laughable on its face anyway, since why the gently caress would you want to feed, clothe and house your labor force year-round with such a short growing season? What are you going to have them do over the winter, shovel snow?

The name is certainly something that only the older generations use (like my 90 year old Grandmother). I'm sure it was the consequence of someone from outside coming in during the culture wars of the 60s, seeing that, and thinking "PC FORCES...ACTIVATE!" so they can make themselves feel "enlightened." It's really, really dumb. It's like people who don't like the Native American names for teams but also won't let high schools be the "Warriors" instead because "some warriors were also Native Americans." Never mind that it's a universal term.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2013

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Jacobin posted:

Lets just remind ourselves a huge proportion of the atlantic slave trade was through Rhode Island and a large number of the cutesy palatial estates and manors that still exist were built on profit from selling other humans before we get all flippant about it

P sure the slave traders arrived long after the name was bestowed, unless there were some secret Puritan slave traders selling slaves to colonists that secretly snuck over to North America long before everyone else.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

SPEAKING OF Colonial America and Maps (to get back on topic):

The Middle Colonies, with convenient color-coding to show where settlements weren't allowed (aka: where Injuns and Frogs were likely). Never seen one actually separate these areas out from the colonies so clearly.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Patter Song posted:

So I have a 1938 World Atlas lying around. Any maps you want me to scan out of it? Or possibly descriptions of countries? (Like Hedjaz and Najd being two different sovereign nations involved in a federation named "Saudi Arabia")

I have a 1947 wall map of the world that has some interesting stuff like that. Germany's occupies zones, all the USSR claims in tact, African colonies, Trans-Jordan/Palestine/"Proposed Jewish State", dotted line boundaries in western Poland, that sort of stuff. It's in really delicate condition since it was on my grandad's wall in his workshop for 6 years. It doesn't have any of that in Saudi Arabia, though. I'd like to see it.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Well it appears Georgetown is as poor as SW DC!

The gradient here isn't distinctive enough. With that metro area map up in the corner, I know for a fact that the Virginia counties are both at least 2 to 3 times more wealthy in terms of household income than Prince George's County, MD (black majority, NE of DC).

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Snoggle posted:

Generic term used for soft drinks in the US.

The South will rise again and put those soda and pop drinking assholes in their place.

I'd like to point out that North Carolina doesn't use Coke, partially because that's where Pepsi is from.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Cygni posted:

Most common location for a craigslist missed connection by state.

Georgia- "The Car"
Indiana- "At Home"
Rhode Island- "Parking Lot"

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Tony Jowns posted:

ahem

If Canada will do it with oil, why not water?

Eh, there's a ton of these things already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

The "pop" line is funny. My wife's family in southern WV all says pop despite being much more southern in the rest of their speech.

Also weird that "Coke" spills over some into New Mexico. I always just thought of the "Coke" thing as being in the Deep South (partly b/c Coke is from Atlanta).