Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Angiepants posted:

I enjoy this thread immensely. Thanks all y'all. Unfortunately, this is all I have to contribute.

Tibet, East Turkestan and Mongolia.

The Upper Midwest region is completely distinct from the Great Plains. People always forget this. Iowa and Wisconsin have nothing in common with Kansas and Oklahoma.

But.. you've only given Tibet proper away!

To be really politically loaded you need to give all of greater tibet away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Mister Adequate posted:

Those will be the mining settlements I would presume.

khwarezm posted:

I was thinking that might be it, funnily enough I was able to dig up an old national Geographic map in the same vein from 2004 that shows some of the different sources of the light at night:

Red is natural gas burn off, yellow is the result of fire in forests or scrub-land, Blue is night fishing light (most obvious near Japan and the Falklands) and white is urban light. Oddly this seems to say that (at least in 2004) most of that Australian light in that area was the result of natural fire? That seems hard to believe considering the other fire hotspots don't stand out on the other map.

(Heres a link to the map so people can get a closer look)

Nah, it is fires. All the mining/drilling is much closer to the coast. What people usually think of the desert is kind of like an idea of the Sahara, rolling dunes of sand when in reality a lot of the Australian desert up that way is just wall to wall dried up shrubs. There's seasonal monsoon rain that occasionally dumps inland so you get desert blooms with the remaining shrubs living on for a while. The dried up remnants can spark up and because few people live anywhere close it can just burn and smoulder for long enough to show up on one of those "earth at night" pictures. It's not like it's always burning just it can sometimes and those pictures caught a lot of it happening all at once.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

R. Mute posted:

That wasn't exactly what I was referring to, though. They were different tribes in that they generally lived in separate communities (which seems logical if you have nomadic herdsmen and farmers), but they were essentially the same ethnic group. Moreover, you could switch between being a Hutu or a Tutsi by simply taking up the lifestyle of the other group, which did happen. IIRC, the herdsmen were the upper class and the farmers were the lower class. Then the Belgians came (after they took Rwanda from the Germans) and said: well, this wont' work and suddenly they were ethnic groups. They did try to use physical appearance to divide them, but not all the tall, angular faced people were necessarily herdsmen and not all short, round faced people were farmers. The pseudoscience wasn't even consistent. Though generally, the groups did conform to those physical markers, because the lifestyle/diet of herdsmen generally generates tall, skinny people, while farmers tend to be more stocky. Something like that.

Well it didn't really matter in the end because what they wanted was an over-class and an under-class, one that they can have be educated and moneyed and use to both maximise their own profits out of it while keeping the local population under more control.

The British did the same with their empire all over the world especially with Indian peoples and you ended up having situations like in Fiji where in latter 1900s the Fijian-Indian population was more than local polynesian. They've since had 2 sets of Polynesian military dictatorships which have caused exoduses of the Fijian-Indians though. Fun thing is they have their own Fijian Hindi language which has its own wikipedia translation: http://hif.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahila_Panna

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Trench_Rat posted:

neo_colonialsim.bmp

is this map still accurate when it comes to french influence in africa. I think Hollande promised to end french intervention in africa in a speech.

Is there a reason poor Burkina Faso, Senegal, and Tunisia don't get to join the francophonie party, but Egypt does?

-EDIT- vvv my bad, senegal is in the party.

Spirit Tree fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 3, 2013

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising
Another fun one was DVD Regions.

Pretty much arbitary as the countries don't even necessarily synch up with the PAL/NTSC divisions that existed. Mostly it was a cynical ploy to make money off people/prevent people buying DVDs for cheap in another country, and helping the studio's ability to control prices in some markets. As usual Australia gets the poo poo end of it.

There's a Blu-Ray region setup as well that is not as broken, but still seems sus in some areas.