Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

I like all the people waiting to learn Swedish until they get to Sweden

I teach Danish in Denmark, and some of my students are people who moved here for a job or love and didn't even know of the country beforehand almost. It's very likely that a lot of that crowd doesn't bother with school settings and just go for duolingo when they have time. And those with native partners end up being quite good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you think Korean and Japanese can write sounds outside their language with their writing system. Korean may have an alphabet but the rules mean it garbles foreign words just as badly as Chinese does. Sprite in Korean turns into Seupeuraiteu, five syllables.

Latin isn't too good at adding sounds not native to Rome either, but it still, like korean and japanese, uses a sound-letter correspondence instead of sound-meaning like chinese.

Latin mangles chinese pretty badly because the tones are not represented for example. Arabic ع frequently gets left out because it's weird too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Distilleries aren't pubs i guess

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Are there any good maps or charts showing the bizarre population situation in Ireland? I was doing some random reading and was just amazed that the total population of Ireland today is still below what it was before the Potato Famine in the 1840s. So is Ireland to this day still packed with abandoned stone houses for its previous population that it still hasn't regained?

Not that I know anything specific, but generally speaking, people live less crammed nowadays, so the 50 square meters that housed two families of eight previously will now be housing one or two people. And generally speaking, houses in disrepair would probably be repurposed or stripped for building materials in a lot of cases.
It should also have had much the same effect on rural areas as urbanization in the twentieth century, since it doesn't really matter if people move to a city or to heaven.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Someone post the map telling you how to get from Petting to loving in Austria.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Neither they nor their parents fought in the Korean war?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like deep blue is bad on that map and has lifetime entrenched dictators, therefore the best country is *checks* oh...

Checks out, North Korea is best Korea.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I already knew that, thanks. What I'm saying is that if I wanted to know at a glance how, say, Leeds voted, the Daily Mail map is the one I'd use because the others distort geography too much. The Guardian map helpfully labels the big cities at least, but the BBC one feels like a district map and a pie chart got together and did something unspeakable. I can tell the big red blob in the corner is Yorkshire, but I'd just be guessing for most of the rest of England.

It's just saying that if i wanted to put a nail in a board, this saw would be a terrible tool for it.

Different maps have different uses, some show where people voted what, others show how nay voted what and yet others show how many of each party got elected. The latter two might possibly have som crossover with pie charts though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My guess is that it's most hated flags to be labelled with in each country, fits with nazi Germany and soviet Finland. The faces I don't get...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or if you want it could give racists a justification to hate Tibetans for being undeveloped monkey-men.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I thought it was weird how they went out of their way to show all the native Siberian languages with 20,000 speakers each, but in Indonesia everyone speaks the same language. I know transmigrasi is a thing but I don't think they've succeeded in eradicating every minority group quite yet

Could be the majority language in the area, so Tagalog obscures smaller languages like Hiligaynon, but Siberia has no Russians anyway so they get tons of small ones.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not comprised of, but pretty much ruled by.

Someone post the graph where "Steve" has 10 nukes within a margin of error.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's like ethnicity and languages are not discrete units but annoying fluid things with fuzzy edges. Han Chinese people might be more akin to Germanics than Danes, but they're still an ethnic grouping, although at a higher level than western nation states usually use. They may not be the most prototypical example of an ethnicity, and have several sub ethnicities though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I like how Florida refuses to be part of the south. Also, where's yard sard?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My favourite dialect map is this one:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Israel, as mentioned, should go in the Eurovision group, or alternatively with the Arab countries on account of the occupation and so on.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm independent Isle of Man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Queen should be called Dame whenever possible, so you can remember to put it on the D tile. Luckily, in Danish, the options are Dame and Dronning, so that works.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Çek or bust.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Needs ð and ðð in the dhdh column. Also gently caress transliteration of Arabic, too many weird sounds like ح ع ظ غ don't have latin equivalents, and that's before the weird dialects like Libyan.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm the border just trailing off between Sweden, Norway and Finland. And by that I mean that I am a barren wasteland unworthy of settling and making borders for.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Scotland gets their own thing, but Denmark as a whole gets labelled based on what one of its colonies does?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

New Zealand pictures and Europe hosed? This is a good map.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have heard some polls suggest that the Protestants who otherwise enjoy being in the UK are getting tired of Brexit and the idiocy associated with it, and thus are getting more into Irish unification. But it's not exactly a clear-cut thing, I'm sure there are similar but opposite anti-EU sentiments among Catholics.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My favorite part about the Roman grid is that it isn't plural. They literally had one pan and then just went with it everywhere, at least everywhere that didn't have a good thing going already. When traveling in the middle East with my history teacher mom, this meant that she could find all the interesting stuff in modern city centres pretty much without looking at a map, because the Romans put it there and everyone else just expanded on it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This seems realistic. I particularly like the choice to bridge the channel somewhere far from the narrowest point. I also can't imagine it works have any negative impact on commercial shipping to northern Europe.

On the other hand, Dokkerland is cool and good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Various deaf communities making up their own language is actually surprisingly common. Or at least it used to be, I don't know how globalization interacts with that.

Also, I want to add that most sign language are completely unrelated to spoken languages. As I remember it, American sign language is completely different from British sign language for instance, since they developed independently with an ocean between them. Of course, modern words still get loaned, like how "computer" is basically the same in every language (I know Icelandic and Finnish made their own cool words, as did others).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess Hawaii is extremely medicated.

They're pretty HI :toot:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

rather, that'd be the polynesians.

This is your yearly reminder that Madagascar wasn't settled from Africa. Polynesians were some crazy people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This seems a good time to mention that if you distributed the population of Earth evenly across the globe, including the water, the population of Australia would triple or quadruple. Population density is very much not meaningful on a planetary scale, at least if the planet has features of basically any kind.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Actually I think you'll find that "gently caress off we're full mate".

With a side of "Australia is mostly unfit for human settlement," yes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

So I'm always on the lookout for when French Guiana is colored differently from France, but Greenland is a situation I'm less solid on. Should it always be colored the same as Denmark? Yes, Greenland has fewer cases than Denmark, but presumably Scotland has fewer cases than England.

Greenland is it's own country, which is in a :airquote:union:airquote: with Denmark. They have some degree of independence, except their economy is completely dependent on cash from Denmark, and Denmark dictates foreign and military policy. But they are not members of the EU for instance. It is most definitely not a colony, because we stopped having colonies long ago.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Then again, the Greenland flag and coat of arms are hilarious.

What's wrong with a sunset and a polar bear? I'll give you that the flag looks very similar to Japan's, but compared to the average flag, it's pretty good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grape posted:

Danish Puerto Rico

Greenland actually gets two (of 179 I think) seats in the Danish Parliament though. Same as the Faroe Islands.

Also a more fun comparison is the Virgin Islands, which the USA bought from Denmark. Because we stopped having colonies, you see.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wasn't Greenland a kind of member of the EU once?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

lol

I've actually started noticing this too, especially in older British productions. Not so much the color (a slight yellow tinge is normal, and unnatural teeth whitening isn't necessary in most cases), but how crooked they often are. I think it's just that orthodontics wasn't really a thing in the UK in the past? I guess it's true that many of these corrections are just aesthetical, anyway.

The comedy answer to English people being ugly is that the Vikings stole all the hot women (and killed/enslaved the strong men), leaving the worst specimens to become the British empire somehow.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I sometimes think about what it must be like to be a true-blue Luxembourger and most of the country is Eurocrats, tax dodgers, and foreign workers. Represented internationally by horrible slime Juncker (until recently). You can't organize a Lexit movement because you'lll never reach a majority of the electorate. You also probably don't want to since (I imagine) at least some of the €€€ is making it back to you.

Is there anything other than tax dodging going on in their economy actually? I mean, aside from the mandatory agriculture and tourism (which is probably inflated by tax dodgers).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Has there ever been a Canadian PM who could speak to the Inuit?

I don't think they know that Inuit translates to people really...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

This applies more widely.

Deutschland roughly means Nationland meaning Germans are just Nationites.

My favourite is the Khoe-khoe of southern Africa, which of course means "people people". As opposed to the Khoe, who are "people". The two are obviously related.

As for good bilingualism, my guess is that everywhere has a lot of baggage, imperialist or otherwise, attached to any language spoken, so equal languages probably only exist in the "separate but equal" sense. My best bet would be something like Papua New Guinea, where all the weird languages are. Because the languages are completely unrelated, Tok Pisin is the lingua franca, which probably a large part of the population speak. But I have no actual knowledge about the actual situation, I'm just guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Similarly, barbarians were people who said "bar bar bar" instead of proper Greek words. Berber is derived from that I'm pretty sure.