Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

computer parts posted:

Do similar ones exist for European cities? You may be surprised at how they are.

http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/evans/docs/Londons_ethnic_groups.htm

The maps don't exactly show "ghettos", but they do reveal how utterly horrible Outer London is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of French cities mapped out in the same way with the banlieues.

That's the reverse situation...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

GreenCard78 posted:

To add to this, don't minorities in Europe tend to live in the suburbs as opposed to the inner city? I've never been to Europe, though.

Well the inner cities in major European cities tend to be historical locales where no one but the stinking rich live, but it depends on the size of the city, migration patterns and infrastructure. London has a lot of interesting layers of current and former minority communities. By comparison, in places like Sweden or Finland where mass immigration is a more recent phenomenon, poor immigrants live in shoddily built housing blocks in the suburbs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Isentropy posted:

Nothing about the CIA-sponsored destabilisation that occured in the late 70s in Jamaica?

Jamaica isn't a part of Latin America, no?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Gonna take a wild guess that the green/brown (weird colour) area has a larger population.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mans posted:

"Portugal isn't a small country"

Portugal is standing up to its masters.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Interestingly, Islam has been rising bigtime in Rwanda since the genocide, as the Muslims generally offered shelter to Hutus, while the priests were out happily clubbing babies to death.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Rodya Raskolnikov posted:

But back on politically charged maps, the sacred cow of coal industry in Kentucky.

Mining as a percentage of employed people's industry

Food stamp expenditures per capita

But of course coal has never done those people any wrong and it's all Obama's crusade against good, honest Mericans.

Did Thatcher's ghost occupy your fingers?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Poland was pretty sparsely populated at the time, and parts of it fluked out. I think we're dealing with a statistical illusion: a country which was later to become a regional superpower and a significant centre of modern history, but which at the time was a largely rural backwater, was mostly spared of the plague in the same way that other less-documented areas far from trade routes were. Then we extrapolate wildly. I mean, that map is terrible isn't it? The Kolan peninsula? Northern Finland? There were probably more plague deaths in Poland than those places. The era might be under documented in Poland too.

That aside, I'm pretty sure the best possible response is that Poland was less well connected than Western Europe, and it had nothing to do with Jews or bathing.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Fandyien posted:

Does the extreme linguistic diversity of the pacific northwest refer to Native languages? Is it more of a severe threat then the southwest because there's less speakers? Wouldn't all of North America pretty much be red or is it that most native tongues are pretty much extinct?

The Northwest has more language families with fewer speakers. Although that's a pre-contact map, so I'm not sure how things have changed geographically.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Countdown to that one bloke popping by to make miniscule corrections to the Breton part.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

No reason for Ireland to shoot itself in the foot now.

Ah yes, bilingualism is completely pointless and unnecessary.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It is relatively easy to express meaning in English even with relatively minimal grammar.

This is a pretty bizarre argument that a lot of people make. It's not as if there's something magic about English, you can reduce any language's grammar to its basics for simple second language communication.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

English does have fairly limited inflection (it's no Chinese though!)

As Jerry Cotton observed, that's irrelevant. And expanding on that, English has incredibly complex and strict rules on word order and preposition use, which can also be largely ignored for pidgin-type communication.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

No, it's not awful. This opinion is way too popular with people who don't know anything about languages but it gets passed around. I don't know what you know but English is not awful. It has advantages and disadvantages. Would you prefer German where everyone would have to learn how to use cases? Or Chinese where the writing system is so hard that literacy hovered around 4% until the 20th century? Or Japanese where we have to learn two syllabaries and modified Chinese and with all that it still can't handle a consonant cluster? People talk poo poo about English but aside from the spelling there's nothing particularly wrong with it becoming a world language. It's not especially wonderful or especially awful.

I don't think what he said was any dumber or weirder than your complains about case or Japanese phonotactics.

In any case a language is only weird or difficult in reference to a learner's first language.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

The non-rhotic accent appears to have been something created by the educated upper classes in the late 18th century

Eh? It was born in the Southeast, where the English upper classes largely hail from, sure, but to say it was "created by" them is fundamentally silly.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Bishop Rodan posted:

That, and they think London is the only inhabited place in the country. I've lived in the US for 14 years, and I've been asked if I'm from London (I'm from Dorset, on the other side of the country) so many times that sometimes I just roll with it and tell them all about how we have carriages and singing chimneysweeps just to gently caress with them. :v:

You're being a bit petty. When I tell people I'm from Finland, they tend to ask "are you from Helsinki?", and I don't take any offence (I'm not). A greater percentage of the British population lives in London that the Finnish one does in Helsinki. It's just the first thing they think of.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LP97S posted:

That world sports map is bad because they don't give percentages of popularity for sports or how the hell they even came to those conclusions.

It's just a public perception thing and not really based on any sort of metric (how the hell would you come up with "percentages of popularity for sports"?), but I don't see much to disagree with there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

You could count* people who are members of associations for various sports I guess.

*) Ask these associations how many members they have, actually.

That would e.g. make football the most popular sport in Finland, while it's self-evident that hockey is much more of a big deal.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

Or Finland out of Suomi or Japan out of Nihon. Those ones have never, ever made sense to me.

"Finland" is a completely separate word, which was used by early medieval Scandinavians to refer to the lands to their north and east, possibly in reference to the Sami. Tacitus also mentions the "Feens" or something like that in Germanica, and describes them as a nomadic people somewhere around the Baltic Sea.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

MrMenshevik posted:

I have no reason to think that etymology is true, but it is a fun story none the less.

It is true, though. It might even be Proto-Indo-European, since there is a similar word in Sanskrit. EightBit's explanation is a folk etymology.

Etymoline:

barbarian (adj.)
mid-14c., from Medieval Latin barbarinus (source of Old French barbarin "Berber, pagan, Saracen, barbarian"), from Latin barbaria "foreign country," from Greek barbaros "foreign, strange, ignorant," from PIE root *barbar- echoic of unintelligible speech of foreigners (cf. Sanskrit barbara- "stammering," also "non-Aryan," Latin balbus "stammering," Czech blblati "to stammer").

Greek barbaroi (n.) meant "all that are not Greek," but especially the Medes and Persians. Originally not entirely pejorative, its sense darkened after the Persian wars. The Romans (technically themselves barbaroi) took up the word and applied it to tribes or nations which had no Greek or Roman accomplishments. The noun is from late 14c., "person speaking a language different from one's own," also (c.1400) "native of the Barbary coast;" meaning "rude, wild person" is from 1610s.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Davincie posted:

Basque is, interestingly enough, making somewhat of a comeback and especially in the Spanish parts of the Basque 'country'. There's also been a lot of progress in making it a written language and adapting it to a common language understood by all instead of being divided in 6 dialects with enough of a difference people could not understand the others from 2 dialects over. Now that Franco has been dead for a while it has definitely been easier to expand the language without getting shot.

Catalan is booming too. I hear that nowadays it's only unfortunate old people who only speak Spanish in Catalonia, while 40 years ago it was pretty much the other way around.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

What's with "none" in Mauritania and UAE? No doubt some horrible reason...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LP97S posted:

It's not Mauritania, it's Western Sahara which doesn't officially have anything when it comes to anything on most maps.

Ah, right, I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Riso posted:

Something very theological about the nature of Jesus.

The Oriental Orthodox Churches oppose the mainstream idea that Jesus is one entity with two natures, divine and human. For what it's worth, it's the mainstream positions that have always struck me as frankly absurd, compared to the Nestorian, Arian etc. heresies.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Is Victor Vermis a self-hating Southerner or some more generic variant of bigot?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize region-specific illiterates were a protected population. Can I lynch myself now or do we have to wait for the social justice clown-car to arrive?

Does class discrimination only exist in the minds of the politically correct social justice brigade?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

the jizz taxi posted:

Speaking of which, apparently something odd is happening in the Pas-de-Calais and Nord region since they decided to offer Dutch courses. The traditional dialect of the Dunkirk area is West-Flemish and only old people speak it, but the young people who learn Dutch get taught Standard Dutch, meaning that they probably still can't communicate with their grandparents!

France continues its very impressive history of not understanding other languages at all.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

One of the core tenets of fascism is that a nation is bound by racial or ethnic bonds stretching back centuries or millennia. It's very much an "Old World" thing because the oldest states in the Americas are only a couple hundred years old and most of them only came into being because of a large number of old world migrants. Funnily enough the groups in Americas that were most inclined towards fascism back when it wasn't immediately synonomous with evil were native american groups such as the American Indian Federation, what with aboriginal groups having national histories going back thousands of years.

Basically, being young nations largely composed of a hodgepodge of immigrants from all over the Old World makes the New World less disposed towards renegade nationalism. At least that's what I think.

Ehh. Certain interpretations of fascism were all the rage in Latin America, with for example the Brazilian Integralist movement going all in for the Italian style of fascism, and dictator/president/fascinating character all around Gétulio Vargas cultivating a similar populist movement too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

And was Latin really the dominant spoken language in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations?

Hard to answer as such, since there were obviously other languages spoken there too, but yes, Latin was widespread throughout the whole now Slavic speaking area in the Balkans. The Dalmatian language for example only died out in the 19th century.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly is going on in northern Italy? Do they burn tires for warmth or something?

Climate & geography. The winds can't push them beyond the Alps, so all the poo poo sort of concentrates in the air there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

Oh, those heathens... Why can't they just speak standard Parisian French like the rest of us normal, local language repressing folks?

It's interesting how reading about the history of French languages has made me basically think of Northeast France as a cradle of fascism. How loving romantic.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

the jizz taxi posted:

Thank you so much for this, very cool. Though really, smallest ratio? I thought that would be North America.

There's like 300 indigenous languages still spoken in North America, not to mention European languages and creoles. Europe doesn't get anywhere near that, no matter how you try to twist the dialects around.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Fun fact: 'might could' is perfectly good English.

No it isn't, if people don't consider it so. You mean it was once (and still is in that dude's dialect, sure).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

computer parts posted:

Good job, Poland.

I'd like to see the criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Poland

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Austria gains a bit as well.

And Lithuania I think.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

In one genetic map I saw, the genetic difference between eastern and western Finns was larger than the difference between Swedes and Italians. And the Finland-Swedes (ethnic minority in Finland that speaks Swedish as its native language) was clearly a western Finnish population.

This is a pretty complex issue, and often in sciences like genetics one appealing report makes its way to the popular consciousness, while other studies never make it beyond obscure journals. Finland is genetically interesting because it's sort of isolated from Europe and pretty homogeneous, so it offers a lot of interesting data. The differences between the Western and Eastern populations might be exaggerated due to specific samples representing something weird, but there is definitely a clear difference, possibly due to much of Eastern Finland being settled very late, like after the Middle Ages. So you can probably still see the founder effect in places like Savo and Kainuu, while in the west coast the Scandinavian contribution to the genetics is much greater.

This one paper was arguing against the differences being due to the founder effect, but due to, well, something else:

The regional differences in the Y-chromosomal diversity in Sweden are also small,23 and gene flow from Sweden could thus homogenize the Y-chromosomal diversity between south-western and northern Finland. The large Y-STR differences between the western and eastern parts of Finland are thus plausibly explained by regionally restricted gene flow, extending to the south-western and northern Finland. The Late settlement area in turn, would seem to retain more of the Fenno-Ugric genetic composition originating from the regions east of Finland. This is reflected in the haplogroup distribution: the Scandinavian haplogroup I occurs with frequencies >30% only in western Finland.4 Haplogroup N3, typical for Fenno-Ugric populations of north-eastern Europe,48, 50 is observed in all parts of Finland but reaches high frequencies (∼79%) only in eastern Finland.

[...]

The results propose Scandinavian gene flow as a source of inter-regional differences in Finland. As the whole of Finland has been continuously inhabited since the early Holocene,52 it may be assumed that these early populations have also contributed to the present-day gene pool. It is possible that, at some stage, the majority of the males in this prehistoric population carried the Y chromosomes of haplogroup N3.48 The subsequent Scandinavian gene flow has then affected the genetic composition of the south-western as well as the northernmost parts of Finland only, creating the large Y-chromosomal differences between western and eastern parts of the country. In other words, the Scandinavian influence can be seen as an additional genetic element in the ESA region (and Lapland), whereas the Finno-Ugric genetic component remains still more prominent in the east of Finland. It also fits to the notion of slight yet significant substructure observed in autosomal SNP markers.7 If this gene flow has been male biased, it could also credibly explain the large differences between the Y-chromosomal and mtDNA/autosomal diversity patterns. Under the model proposed here, the patchy occurrence of FDH diseases, especially in eastern Finland, is better explained by long-term drift, more acute in the sparsely inhabited eastern Finland, rather than by relatively recent founder effects. The distances observed between the LSA sub-populations also support high drift in this area (Figure 4). Alleviated by the Scandinavian gene flow, the drift has been less severe in the western parts of the country.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2986642/

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Kavak posted:

What're the other languages in eastern Massachusetts? Chinese and Portuguese?

Portuguese and Portuguese Creole, I'd imagine.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

A lot of outfits use the exact same amount of money, meaning the dubs are done by friends and relatives.

Well, it probably doesn't take long to record one of those one-voice-fits-all dubs, but if you're using an actual cast and poo poo, the cost is significant compared to subs.

Lord Tywin posted:

It's weird seeing UK as using subtitles since almost every British documentary I have seen have used some dubbing with lovely accents when some German or other non-English speaker is talking.

Documentaries use dubs like that often, yes, but you don't see dubbed films (discounting children's cartoons) in the UK. Another thing to note about documentaries is that they're generally done with re-recorded voiceovers even in countries where subs are used, like Finland.

quote:

That doesn't any sense at all since Norway and Sweden is among the largest countries in Europe.

It was a dumb point, but there might be something to it considering the omnipresence of English-language media in Scandinavia and such, compared to France, Germany or Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hip Flask posted:

You see dubbed interviews on TV in the UK, though.
Like if they're showing an interview with Angela Merkel, it's dubbed rather than subbed. (?)

You mean in like news programmes? If it's like a thing that's on TV three hours after recording, that might actually also be because it's easier for an interpreter to record a new audio track for it than type & integrate subs.