Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

All Of The Dicks posted:

How about "the coal industry in this region does not provide the people involved with it a sufficient income on which to eat, and instead must be subsidised by the state, making it a net loss, and therefore should be reformed or replaced rather than protected in its current form"

Resource curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Mans posted:

I'm sure a lot of people working at Macdonalds are on foodstamps too. Does this mean Macdonald is unprofitable?

Which county or region has greater than 50% of its people employed at McDonalds?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Some people take issue with "american" as an ethnicity because of the Sara Palin-esque, nativist, 'real america' stuff that the right is always going on about. 'Those northern hyphenated-americans aren't real americans' is an attitude I've heard expressed earnestly.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I've always wondered about that, for all the talk about right-wing xenophobia in the US, the reaction to mass immigration from Mexico and the rest of Latin America has been surprisingly tame. Perhaps it is linked to my first observation, with Americans being so self-confident that they don't really feel threatened.

The xenophobes and racists are actually a (very) noisy minority. We're all taught from grade school that America is a melting pot and a nation of immigrants, and most of us don't have a big problem with it. But our useless media feel compelled to 'give equal airtime to both sides'.

Many of the people that do have a problem with immigration are more upset by the economic effects of undocumented workers being paid off the books and thus not paying taxes. This is a legitimate problem - but one of regulation and enforcement (of the employers) - but it makes this category of people more susceptible to the racist rhetoric being spewed by the other anti-immigrant groups.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 5, 2013

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

And second most popular sports in the US. I imagine they're working off of different polls because of some discrepancies like Kansas.

Maybe Kansas just loves basketball so much that it's their #1 and #2 sport. (And Missouri really loves baseball for the same reason apparently)

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Kainser posted:

I live in Skåne and this is really not a thing unless you with 'some support' mean an incredibly small amount of people. I guess autonomy is a thing but that's still a very minor issue currently.

Anyway, alternate history greater Sweden:

I like the subdivisions and the usage of the Vasa coat of arms :sweden:

What is the basis for Sweden's claim to Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland in this alternate history?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

withak posted:

As far as other CA county generalizations go, San Mateo and Santa Clara are pretty solidly soulless tech industry suburbanite NIMBYs, specifically opposed to any kind of public transit.

:smug:

I concede to the having no soul thing, though.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Tommah posted:

Missouri has a lot of weird cities. Here's a list of some:
Versailles

The best part of this is their pronunciation of the name: "ver-SAY-els" or something like that. I cracked up when I heard that from my in-laws.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Here's an html5 map quiz, with a choice of regions, for those on flash-less platforms:

http://www.html5games.net/puzzle/world-map-quiz/

e: drat, Africa is by far the hardest for me. I know the big ones but all the little fiddly ones are a complete mystery to me.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2013

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

From here.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Meet The Tiny Rock That Could Start World War III

From here.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

BerkerkLurk posted:

Colorado has been the least obese US state for years (just looked it up: since 1990).

In my opinion it's because if you're inclined to be outdoorsy, there's a ton to do here. Denver gets 300 days of sunshine a year and if it isn't sunny then it snowed so hit the slopes.

Sadly, the actual truth is that obesity is strongly correlated with poverty:

More.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

rscott posted:

What do the colors on the map mean?

e: Red areas are poor and blue areas are wealthy?

According to the source of the map, red indicates high correlation between obesity and poverty, blue indicates low correlation.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Because tectonic movement works on geologic time scales. Even if we could safely lower the stuff into the ocean floor, by the time it actually got to the "melt into the mantle" part, it wound't be dangerous any more. Plus you'd have to worry about the container rupturing under the water pressure and potentially spreading throughout the ocean, which would be A Bad Thing.

Radioactive waste really isn't dangerous enough to be pulling risky gambits like that, we just need to find a hole where it can sit for 10,000 years and then leave it there. Or find ways to reprocess it into even less dangerous forms, which people are looking at all the time.

Couldn't you plug the hole?

What could possibly go wrong!

Family Values fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2014

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

How is Ireland so dependent on Russian energy, yet still has a positive balance of trade? What are they selling back to Russia? Or am I reading this thing wrong?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Patter Song posted:

If you fast-forwarded to 500 BCE you'd see an explosion of expansion of blue on that map, especially in the Mediterranean/North Africa, parts of India, and China.

I would say earlier than that. By 800 BCE Greece was emerging from its dark age. Which brings up an interesting point, if the map had been of the world circa 1200 BCE there would actually be more blue than 1000 BCE; Greece, western Asia Minor, and Crete had the Mycenaean and Minoan civilizations which were destroyed by the Dorian invasion and the 'Sea Peoples'.

e: oops new page, better add a map

The Dorian invasion:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The source has an interactive version.

New York and Oregon really surprise me.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

According to the text under the image for that article the tip of the peninsula is technically the "headland" :haw:

It just goes to show that it really doesn't matter what your local culture is known for, if you live on a peninsula that's even vaguely phallic looking you'll get called a dong on these stereotype maps.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Hasn't Europe had a lot more wars, and more brutal to the civilian population?

e: a related chart:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Reposting from last year when the map showed up here before:

This map can gently caress right off. Neither California nor Texas would willingly share a successor state with each other. :colbert:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

BART owns, and is easily the most decipherable map posted yet.

I think it's worth pointing out that that map is a system overview, it's missing a whole bunch of stops. For instance the vast majority of VTA stops:

If you added every stop it would get pretty hard to read pretty fast.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does it really matter? Unless we assume some cultures are far more prone to lying/exaggeration, the overall trend should still hold.

Machismo is a thing, so... possibly? Nearly 100% variance between the min/max is surprising, anyways.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That is not how a cat's ears go when eating. :colbert:

So it's not food it's a hairball.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Good! We rightfully belong with the other nations of the Pacific Rim, not these filthy Americans!

The California Republic shall rise again!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The fact that California is "Taiwanese" just tells you how many Chinese restaurants there are here, that they differentiate by sub-regional specialty. Map accuracy confirmed.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'd have thought that a lot of those Taiwanese joints are actually just boba joints.

I'm thinking of places like Mama Chen's.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Another map of American regions/cultures/whatever, this time from some professor

Is the person that wrote these descriptions and created this map aware that the 19th and 20th centuries happened? New York is the way it is because of the Dutch? Wha?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, New York really is the way it is because of the Dutch though? There's all sorts of weirdness in New York law and culture both in the City and upstate, that is directly traceable to the Dutch, and it's present to a lesser extent in North Jersey. And it's no coincidence that descendants of the big Dutch settlement families have been major forces in New York politics to this day. Hel there was an even a US President from New York whose native languague was Dutch and only learned English later in school (Martin Van Buren).

Are you aware that the 19th and 20th centuries happened Fishmech?

My point was not to deny the colonial origins but that those colonial origins define the region today in any more than an obscure trivial way. It's similarly weird to me to lump Philly and the Oklahoma panhandle together because of the Quakers somehow.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

lmao that's a pretty poor selection

e: content
I don't remember seeing a bi-axial color scheme like this before:

It's kinda hard to read. It'd be interesting to see a map like this for Spain.

So urbanites - especially Londoners - self-identify as British and rural folks English? Seems like this would mostly result from immigrants adopting the nationality but not the ethnicity of their new home?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Rumda posted:

To move it away from racism and on to other things you Americans should be ashamed about

This seems like A Bad Map. Craigslist is organized by city, so this map can't be an accurate representation the underlying data. Or am I wrong?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Not in itself politically loaded, but an interesting read for map nerds:

http://www.joshuastevens.net/cartography/make-a-bivariate-choropleth-map/

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Gray hair in English always refers to age related grayness. I'm not sure if this is just an americanism but you sometimes hear 'dishwater blonde' which isn't terribly complimentary I suppose.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Meat consumption in pounds?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

What does this even mean

The US has joined the Warsaw Pact?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

2013:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

kalstrams posted:

How are these accurate?

2012 data:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

2015 data:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

Family Values fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 6, 2015

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

The Russian version:

I have to imagine that in this timeline Poland is getting mighty nervous. Or is it just taken for granted that Poland's already been annexed?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Basically because prop 13 has limited the property tax base, California's revenue is unusually volatile. A much bigger share of revenue comes from income and capital gains taxes than most states, so in a recession the state's revenue takes a big hit.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

XMNN posted:

Guess that map.

(Google reverse image search recognises it for some reason, but that's cheating).

Something agricultural? I wanted to say apple production but Florida and Texas are in there. Fruit in general maybe?

e:

XMNN posted:

It's Bigfoot.

d'oh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

I was looking around for a map of general fruit production and I found this. I think the mapmaker is trolling the poo poo out of me with that Upper Peninsula situation.

We've found bigfoot's weakness: clearly he's drawn to fruit orchards.