Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Varkk posted:

Fantasy political maps

Who is John Parker and why does he have a green named after him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Elim Garak posted:

My guess is that it references John Parker, commander of the Revolutionary forces at Lexington Green.

That makes sense

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm really surprised at how popular the Steelers are in the Carolinas, it's not like there's no local team.

Well North Carolina does have a fair amount of Northern transplants in Research Triangle, plus there's also the bandwagon effect. I fully expect to see an uptick in Ravens fans here in Florida.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, still no loving connection to Dulles (unless it's on the Gray Line)? C'mon man.

The Silver Line connects to Dulles, that's the whole reason for it's existence.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

I'm not sure whether to feel relieved or insulted as a Canadian that the big bads always seem to ignore us even to such a degree that they'd be strategically compromised. I like how the Japanese Empire leaves a US friendly state on its border for no apparent reason.

Well in the book Germany has atomic weapons and isn't afraid to use them, so I doubt that Canada would try anything.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Andy Impey posted:

We're involved in France's Mali campaign at the moment, special forces on the ground training Malian troops, transport planes helping the French get their crap over there and such.

Another one ticked off the list then...

:britain:

That's not an invasion...

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

yoctoontologist posted:

That seems like a much less elaborate version of the Atlas of True Names:

See here's what I don't get about this, Maryland is listed as "Land of the Rebellious One" but isn't it just "Queen Mary's Land"? Like how do you get the former out of the latter. I think these literal name guys are just making poo poo up.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Andy Impey posted:

Openness to foreigners, worldwide:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs..._washingtonpost

The accompanying blogpost says there isn't a unifying theory here, but I disagree. I think it's pretty clear that countries with more nationalistic governments are less welcoming to foreigners. China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Argentina, Pakistan...

With a few inexplicable outliers. Why you hate foreigners so much, Denmark?

How the hell is Japan more welcoming of foreigners than the US and Denmark?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Kainser posted:

I'm sure you think it's bizarre that Norway claims 1/6th of Antarctica as well :norway:

e; a map of Antarctica have probably already been posted, but just in case:

lol of course Argentina is loving with Britain

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Kassad posted:

That's pretty much it. There's no equivalent to the "Press 1 for English" talking point because the French state has done an extra good job of eliminating the regional languages and those of the immigrant communities (at least from the public sphere) in the past. That has nothing to do with the Académie Française though, it was primarily achieved by using the school system ("speak French or get punished").

That doesn't mean you'll get jumped in the street for speaking a foreign language, mind you. We're not Arizona.

Cool except that doesn't happen in Arizona either. Except they're actually a step ahead of France because they have bilingual education, signs, and services.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

univbee posted:

The predominant French belief is that if you make French + any other language "equal," French will lose, and that French must be treated as the authority if it's to survive. Discussing this is a huge :can: though.

Fair enough.

Have Greater Finland:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

How many foreigners has North Korea arrested for no good reason and put in buttfuck detention centres/how many foreigners has the US arrested for no good reason and put in buttfuck detention centres?

haha the minute that that map was posted I just knew that someone would bust out with something like this and try to argue that the US is worse than North Korea or Iran or someplace

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

3. Majority Ukrainian.

I'm sure Stalin was very concerned about the Ukrainian people.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

They have the biggest army.

I don't think their army is going to be a big help in the middle of the sea.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Riso posted:

Not to mention the lack of the Suez short-cut would force ships to go around the long way again.

I think that if you're investing enough money to dam the Mediterranean then you probably also have a few bucks to fix the Suez Canal too.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm a little surprised basketball isn't more popular than football in some of those midwestern states.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

As a Californian that is completely uninterested in Basketball, I find it surprising basketball is so popular here. Is it the Lakers? Socal goons probably have a better idea.

Well California has four NBA teams, so basketball has got to be at least somewhat popular.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

Interesting that Iran moved away from Facebook.

Facebook is/was blocked in Iran.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

quote:

Here is a map of Greater India, when Ghandi gives India independence to India by 1923, rather than 1947. At this moment of time, India becomes an empire and begins its expansion, starting with Afghanistan, one of the closest islamic states. Under the reign of a wise and religious oligarchy, the people of India then go eastward towards the Dutch colonies in the Pacific, Thailand, and French Indochina. Within the empire, English and Hindi have both become the two official languages of India. By the 1950's, Arabia and Ethiopia are conquered and thus East Africa is rename "New India". In 1965, two years after the Pakistani Rebellion of 1963, India conquers Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, and iraq in an attempt to create technology far beyond that of the USA's and the Soviet Union's, escalating the Cold War. By 2003, After having new conquests within Latin America , the Pacific, and Africa, India becomes the world's largest empire and forms an alliance with the USA, since the american helped Indian Forces take over Hong Kong.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

India being more technologically advanced than the US or USSR in the 1960's was also a nice touch.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What's hilarious about it is that the dude that made it up isn't even an Indian nationalist as far as I can tell. He also has a thing where the Middle East unites into a Third Roman Empire and conquers Europe and America and a thing where Texas becomes Nazis or something.

edit: look and despair at your leisure http://generalhelghast.deviantart.com/

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Have any countries actually formed (and kept) the "greater" versions of themselves? The only one I can think of is the US with manifest destiny.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

China?

They don't have the ROC borders but Taiwan isn't considered a separate part by either government.

I wouldn't count China, because they don't actually control Taiwan and plus there's a number of islands in the South China Sea that they don't control either.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Peruser posted:

That doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would

Well other than NC and PA...

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

There was no big cause like a famous woman named Jennifer. It just sort of caught on as a trend which gained more momentum as Jennifer-density intensified.
County-by-county support for the top 25 NCAA football teams.

I like that Oregon is more popular than Stanford, USC, or UCLA in California. Also that the colors are really hard to tell apart.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

withak posted:

You can say stuff like "he is from Marin" or "he is from Kern County" and everyone knows exactly the kind of person you are talking about.

So what kind of person is from Marin or Kern counties?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

withak posted:

I like how the map leaves out the name of the bay area's largest city in the label. Must suck to live in San Jose and have most people barely know that your city exists.

San Jose is on there, right in the middle of Santa Clara County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

1959 Mao eradicates famine

:eng99:

edit: I know it's an alternate history but that seems particularly optimistic to say the least