Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Best way I heard someone describe Wilson was "The smartest president with the most ignorant beliefs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Riso posted:

Not split up?
I remember Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus, Poland, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and many more being part of it.

There are still 21 Republics within Russia which are based off of the "titular nationality" and have their own parliaments, laws, and can assign their own language but Russia represents them for international relations. Over the last 10 years, Putin has been trying to lean on them more.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
You do know that Acadians are actually a group with a large amount of people living in Maine, right?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Peanut President posted:

Thanks for the clarifications

I thought Acadian was an archaic term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadians

They love using it, and there's about 30,000 living in Maine and 96,000 up in Canada.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Here's a tongue in cheek map of how Americans view the world, drawn up to look like the game Risk.

It's not even a Risk map.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

As far as I know, the game doesn't actually ever show the whole map, I'm pretty sure that's fan made from taking the bits and pieces the game does show.

I can only assume whoever made it lives in Louisiana, because that's the only reason I can surmise that it's borders are the only on in the lower 48 that are exactly the same.

Not just Xbox, there was a PC game before that and the whole franchise is spawned from a board game by FASA, the guys who created other board and tabletop games like Battletech/Mechwarrior and Shadowrun. Also, :goonsay:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

You sure did put a lot of muslims in Orthodoxia.

I'm sure it will all be settled easily, I hear Sunnistan is looking for immigrants.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Americans are so cute, thinking they have distinct dialects.

Yeah, god forbid you look up what a dialect means.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Gods drat it Americans, learn to use proper units already.

Do what most Americans do and convert it in your head, it's easier than asking some assholes on the forum change federal laws.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's really useful how Israel never has to change it's borders in any of these maps.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty much beaten twice, but yeah, Russia's just loving terrifying.

That's 10 243km, or 123 hours. North-easter siberia has gently caress-all for roads, but there's the M56:

which looks like this:

so good luck with your road trip!

A friend of a friend is seriously into offroading and cheap cars (as am I on the latter part) so this is something we were thinking about. I'm a bit too chickenshit to jump into it, but slowly coming around. Having to sign up a year in advance is really sucks though, seeing as how you don't need a whole year to prepare your poo poo car.

That's if you start off in the Kaliningrad enclave (Formely Königsberg, East Prussia) and drive through Lithuania and Latvia, you can save 564km and 7 hours if you start right at the Russo-Latvian border.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

They're firecrackers by today's standards. By 1945 standards, they were unbelievably powerful. Yes, the firebombing of Tokyo did more damage in the end and killed more people, but that was over a long period of time during sustained air raids that lasted half a year. Furthermore, air raids are things that involve some sort of direct combat. You can shoot down bombers and kill the pilots dropping the bombs to minimize damage.

The first big B-29 on Tokyo raid on March 9th of 1945, consisting of 330 bombers carrying 20,000 pounds of incendiary bombs each, killed 100,000 in a single night. The cost was 14 bombers. The worst raid in USAAF history in terms of US losses up to that point was Operation Tidal Wave where 53 B-24's were shotdown with light damage on targets and 16 killed and 50 injured. If we're factoring in after the war the US lost 16 B-52s over North Vietnam during Operation Linebacker 2, an 11 day operation with 8 B-52's shout down on the second night. For the cost comparison the firebombing was a loving bargin.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

dethslayer666 posted:

In seriousness, the USA does have too many states. Either amalgamate or break up, either way the world only needs one Dakota.

Jesus that's a dumb idea. You there's more than 300 million people living there, right? Hell, Mexico has 31 states. Also it's still less confusing than Russia with their 46 Oblasts, 21 Republics, 9 Krais, 4 autonomous okrugs, 1 autonomous Oblast, and 2 federal cities. Sorry that Canada and Australia has a whole lot of nothing.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
You wouldn't even need to go up to 1000 representatives, if you did it via the Wyoming rule (smallest district by population as the unit) you would only need to increase the house from the current 435 to 547, with data from the 2010 census. Of course there's the cost of offices, elections, and the nightmare of redistricting since it's up to states on how to do that.

Hell, do that and get rid of the electoral college and your set since the idea of merging states or redrawing state lines for 'balance' is the single dumbest argument I've ever read in this thread and other sites. I can't think of any subdivision that has ever merged in recent history. Canada actually created a new territory out of an old one back in 99.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Why is Philadelphia clumped in with the midlands? What did we do to deserve that?

Also, why does Greater Appalachia stretch well west of anything resembling Appalachian culture?

Because we're not good enough for the walking rich Boston stereotype that engages if base, classist regionalism and wrote that loving article, don't you feel like your brethren in the Oklahoma Panhandle anyway? Also we're not part of New Netherlands despite having the first capital of New Sweden (which was taken over by the Dutch) right down the drat Delaware River! Hell, where the hell does he think Schuylkill comes from!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's also conveniently ignores historical settlements when it doesn't fit the narrative, like New England being founded and run by Christian extremists who banned Christmas and preached regularly about damnation in gruesome detail. By that it lists these things as positives instead of pointing out that it's loving STUPID. Also the map is poo, just poo.

Edit, number of times "poverty" shows up in the article: Zero

LP97S fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 7, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If these silly foreigners would just quit all their squabbling and let white people tell them where their borders ought to be, the world wouldn't have so many problems :wotwot:

You know who made those borders in the first place, right?

LP97S fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 9, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm just mentioning that the whole "meddlin overseers!" phrase kinda falls apart when trying to defend the horrible, horrible Middle East borders, unless your backing Israel and Turkey who are more than happy to have their current borders and more since they'll take the kid gloves off.

Edit: To clarify, my opinion is "poo poo's all hosed up" and those borders are no more sacrosanct than the fake kingdoms created off of them.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 9, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

:thejoke:

And obviously the people there weren't able to solve the problems those borders created, so we'll have to come in and fix things for them again. Now let me tell you about the viability of a state named Shiastan...

I realize I came off as someone who would support those maps, for the record I don't, breaking up states among solely ethnic lines is loving stupid. I was just assuming, like an idiot, that people think the current borders are absolutely perfect.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

What IS the deal with Pennsylvania?!

What, your region doesn't have poo poo named after what ever they felt like in whatever language they cared to do it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The Yugoslav Front of World War II is the direct cause of the ethnic tensions in what was Yugoslavia. Prior to that, there wasn't a lot of tension. During World War II, the Axis invaded Yugoslavia, split the lands into client states, and lead to lots of ethnic cleansing and genocide on all sides with various resistance groups collaborating when it was convenient. More than a million Yugoslavians died on all sides (collaborators and resistance, military and civilian) while Germany only lost 24,000 men and 12,000 missing in action. It's one of the more depressing chapters of an already horrible war.