Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
I enjoy this thread immensely. Thanks all y'all. Unfortunately, this is all I have to contribute.

Tibet, East Turkestan and Mongolia.

Red_Mage posted:

The biggest problem with 9 nations is it is 30 years old at this point. Alaskan as an identity is far more pronounced now than when it was written, the spread of both nutbag libertarianism (especially in the Idaho compound vein) and Mormonism has rendered the idea of an empty quarter monoculture archaic, The border between the foundry and New England would be a lot more complex given the various efforts since the 70s to revitalize the cities that were built on the steel industry, and don't even get me started on the rabid xenophobia/cartels that make meximerica and the islands untenable. Its not a bad template for a balkanized america, it just doesn't take into account the shifts in culture over 30 years (cultures change a lot faster than ethnic groups do).

The Upper Midwest region is completely distinct from the Great Plains. People always forget this. Iowa and Wisconsin have nothing in common with Kansas and Oklahoma.

Angiepants fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

It is, but they are not so different that they couldn't band together as a nation for convenience and security. Personally I think a forcibly balkanized US/Canada would break into ~11 parts (and 3 city-states/independent zones like hong kong) with some of them infighting/not agreeing on borders, and at least 2 of them would claim to be "The United States of America"

Gonna really have to disagree here. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, maybe Missouri. Swing state-topia.

Red_Mage posted:

For another controversial map:

This rules.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Milwaukee is supposedly the most segregated city in the US. I buy it.

Another fun round of "Spot the Prison" here.

Angiepants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 11, 2013

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Boon posted:

More like "Spot Marquette"

Spot the Prison would be really fun if there was a statewide map.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

GreenCard78 posted:

There is. That's a screen shot of the NYT's Mapping America. It's posted in this thread and interactive for all kinds of census data.

Holy christ, I dunno why I didn't click that link when I clicked the other one.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Do videos count? I've always loved this clip from the West Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?n8zBC2dvERM

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

YF-23 posted:

In Greek, yes, why not? I don't think there's any nationalism attached to using the Greek name for a city in Greek; you don't need to call things the way the natives call them (otherwise you'd be calling Japan "Nippon"), and they at least have "Istanbul" under "Constantinople" in parentheses.

If there's something nationalistic about that map it's that the European portion of Turkey's coloured differently.

:ssh: It's a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQrKZcYtqg

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Buzzfeed threw up a goldmine today. Most of them aren't particularly political but they're still interesting.

Every country England has ever invaded.

Writing systems of the world.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Folks posted:

Stuff about England

They may be going off of this Daily Mail article.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

What's so special about Botswana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
The end result of the Berlin Conference.