Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Posting this picture on Facebook could quite possibly get you banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm surprised the government was releasing accurate maps like this to the public during the war.

Back in 1940 a fight to the death on east German soil probably seemed like a very distant possibility seeing that the Soviets had just been humiliated and the Americans very still strictly isolationist.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

3peat posted:

Gas prices

Seeing that the price at the pump in Finland is currently 1,6 EUR per litre this chart is missing something.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Technocrat posted:

I wonder - it seems that European illness was absolutely catastrophic to the Americas, but if (for the sake of argument) the first sea trip had been the other way around, are there comparable afflictions that would have devastated Europe?

If I remember the ol' Guns, Germs and Steel correctly in order to have those really nasty population-wiping diseases while being able to survive them yourself you need to have population concentrations and animal husbandry.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This despite the fact that, linguistically, the Hungarian language is far closer to Finnish than any other European language (If it's even loosely related to European languages at all; Finno-Ugric languages have not been accepted as having any relation to Indo-European languages).

Estonian is way closer than Hungarian. Estonian is partially intelligible to Finnish speakers while Hungarian is pretty much a moon language. I imagine the difference is something like the difference between English and Russian despite both of them being Indo-European languages.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

LP97S posted:

It's really useful how Israel never has to change it's borders in any of these maps.

Also, Turkey with regards to Kurdistan.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Finally! A map where the Scandinavians look bad. You are found out, you coffee addicted people.

Have to make up for those 2-month-long annual holidays somehow.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

This seems like the kind of thing that's already been posted in this thread but I don't remember seeing it so sorry if it's a repeat:

That's the best they could come up with Florida? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The Netherlands, any of the Scandinavian countries, and Singapore are all pretty decent as they come.

A single-party state where income equality is pretty high, homosexuality is illegal and you can get death penalty for weed? Say what now?