Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I always liked that little strip of south carolina stretching into the distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ah, Nepal is chinese for Nepal.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Frostwerks posted:

Good god Delaware is the most improved name.

I always thought that it came from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_De_La_Warr

Also, I had always heard that Rhode Island was from Rogues Island, and it was a colony of misfits pushed out from Boston.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

aBagorn posted:

"the schools suck"

Aren't 8 out of the worst 10 states in education in the red area?

Schools, not Liberal Indoctrination Centers (LICs)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoa, I've never heard of this one.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

Virginia Beach City (fun fact: incorporated cities in Virginia exist as their own legal entities and are not a part of any county) is listed as blue, but theres a midnight to 6AM restriction on sales.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

KernelSlanders posted:

While we're on the topic of sea borders, I thought this was topical.

I like how mostly everyone has a border that is just X miles off the coast, or in the case of the Phillipines just drawing right angles everywhere.

And then China has the audacity to just scoop up every oil field in existence and say "Yea, this is mine"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah direct contact between the Chinese and the Romans was definitely a thing. I have noticed in the Ask/Tell thread about Roman history that for some reason, a lot of people who post on the Something Awful Forums have a really really special and particular interest in learning about China-Ancient Rome contacts. I've wondered why that is for months now and I've come up completely empty as to a reason.

From what I heard, the Sassanids regularly hosed with any attempts for the Romans and the Chinese to get in contact with each other. They were situated between the two and controlling trade was a very lucrative business for them, at least when they werent constantly warring with the Romans over whateverthefuck. During times of peace Roman envoys would come trying to scout out the trade route and the Sassanids would march everyone around in the desert in circles for months, then claim that China was still 3 months away.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Riso posted:

Basic Risk sucks, every other variant has a points system, and Risk Legacy is amazing.

Risk would be better if it was about collecting multi colored cubes, representing trade goods.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The twelve hour split makes sense when you consider that subdividing a clock face into 24 would be difficult to read, and probably would have been cost prohibitive to make prior to the modern era because all of the mechanisms inside of the clock would have to be twice as precise.

All in all it boils down to a linguistic quirk that makes about as much sense to debate as y'all being a proper second person pronoun, or the singular they being acceptable. Some people do it, some don't, and the only benefit is a little more clarity as to the exact time being said. Its no surprise the military operates on a 24 hour clock even in 12 hour countries, when youre screaming orders into a barely intelligible radio you need as much precision as possible, but in the civilian world who really cares?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

I've always wondered how American counties work in practice. With their arbitrary square shapes that don't have anything to do with geography, it must be extremely hard to keep track of who has jurisdiction where.

All those arbitrary squares are in the great plains where theres no natural borders outside of rivers, though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Soviet Commubot posted:

Some US states also have townships. In Michigan govern the vast majority of places that aren't in legally defined cities or villages.

Red outlines here are counties, of which there are 83 and blue outlines are townships. Michigan has 276 cities, 257 villages, and 1,240 townships.

Virginia has Independent Cities which aren't a part of any county. Growing up I thought counties were an extinct idea because Princess Anne County was turned into Virginia Beach City back in the 70s and I thought thats how it was done all throughout the country.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fandyien posted:

Whats up with Ukraine having such a different word for rose compared to Russia/Belarus? I mean I knew it was a distinct language but I thought it was largely mutually intelligible with other cyrillic slavic ones.

Greek influence with the spread of orthodoxy, maybe?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

I thought the maps were going to be LOL DUMB AMERICANS, but they're not even that bad. They got Western Europe mostly right.

I was pretty blown away that more people correctly labeled Croatia than Greece.

e: Im not so surprised at Georgia though, I wonder when these maps were made? South Ossetia was probably in the news within the last couple months, so it would be fresh. Whats up with everyone knowing where Croatia is though? Seems random.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Looks like I had a personally tailored question as well:

The Brew Thru is just one store in North Carolina though, its not really a term.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kem Rixen posted:

That's what I found too. I guess the cot, caught one alone really limits it. I'm not even sure how you would pronounce those two words differently but I guess you can somehow.

I thought the cot/caught merger was a west coast thing, and East Coast retained the different vowels for the most part?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

made of bees posted:

The only ones that have me confused are 'haunted' for Pennsylvania and Connecticut, and 'good' for Alabama.

Connecticut is probabaly because of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492044/

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SorcerousHam posted:

Are these South Koreans being crazy or North Korean propagandists being crazy?

Because I can understand the latter given they talked about Kim Jong Ill finding unicorns and poo poo, but can't really wrap my head around the South having people putting out that sort of crazy. I mean sure, claim Japan, claim China as some sort of crazy Greater Korea, but England? :wtc:

Nationalist Koreans insist they invented everything. Hanzi are a bastardization of Hangul, etc.

Check out this cute parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Negative Entropy posted:

A non-distorted reverse map:

This guy makes a ton of models of alternate earths and then goes off the wall a little bit and imagines what sort of crazy fantasy creatures would live there. Its still a great read:

http://www.worlddreambank.org/I/INV.HTM

http://www.worlddreambank.org/A/ABY.HTM

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Are those EU3 tech groups?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Torrannor posted:

See Eye-rack and Iraq. Poor Obama.

But pronouncing people's names correctly cannot be pretentious, can it? Do you get flack if you call him Sharl de Goal in America?

Hes not alive to complain about it anymore. Same reason everyones settled on an accepted, if incorrect, pronunciation for Genghis Khan.

I mean, really, what do you expect an english speaker to do when they encounter the name "Charles". If anything the person youre talking to wont think youre being pretentious, theyll just wonder who the hell Sharl Degal is.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lord Hydronium posted:

Grab bag of random racist maps:

Id like to see an aggregate map from a bunch of white supremacists that measure whiteness. Like im guessing germany, scandanavia, britain and northern france would be white according to 100% of respondents and turkey would be zero percent but how white would italy be? Greece? For most of european history russia was out in the vaugely defined lands marked Here Be DRagons, would they be whiter than the rest of the slavs?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kainser posted:

It's a bit out of date, Spain and Portugal has apparently banned it entirely as well.

e; it also has an extremely malformed Iceland :v:

"help me" :iceland:

Are those 3 pixels supposed to be the Faeroes? I support thier attempt at accuracy despite tiny image size.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Everywhere in mainland Florida is grocery stores except the specific dot that represents where I am :downs:

Are you a student? I wouldnt be surprised if the smattering of dots in the southeast are all college towns

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Dolph Lungdren an Adolf with a more media friendly SAG name?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

duckmaster posted:

Rome annexed Thrace into the Empire in AD 46 and made Constantinople its capital in AD 330. Not quite the same thing but close.

The British Empire dominions were made "coequal members" of the British Empire by the Balfour Declaration. They were the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, the Irish Free State and Newfoundland (!).

However:

You might notice that they're all white people. and probably Protestants

I gaurantee you that even the Irish rep in this photo is probably not Catholic

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Torrannor posted:

Naruto? Really?

Are you going to tell me he ISNT blond?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Liam is such a butt-ugly name and im astounded at its recent popularity

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Why is niger different from teh rest of africa

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not true. Wolfenstein: The New Order is great.

My favorite part of Wolfenstien was the secret Jewish conspiracy being too stingy to share even one piece of future tech to help in the war effort, even in the face of extinction through genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What is that, Tuvalu and Transnistria?