Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm dumb as hell and have no problem with it. Now east and west? Someone needs to label these drat things

Nobody Equips Stupid Weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It's like that because back in the day they let people decide if they wanted to be Belgian or Dutch. So that led to Dutch enclaves in Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands.

The communities do most things together, cause they're really just 1 community.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

It does make me wonder how they dealt with it before WWII and especially during WWI.

During WW1, we Belgians were clever and put a listening post there to spy on German transmissions. The Germans knew it was there but couldn't risk taking it down because then they'd violate Dutch neutrality. Which the Dutch could maintain because it was all done in secret on Belgian territory. I doubt the Dutch were happy, but they couldn't go and invade now could they.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

BonHair posted:

I wouldn't put it past some NIMBY rear end in a top hat to personally fund a ticket for homeless people to go away, and lying about being from the government too.

I may be an rear end in a top hat, but I'm not going to pay the homeless to go be homeless somewhere else.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If it really were a troll-map, they'd have split Belgium into Southern Flanders and Northern Wallonia.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Does anyone know why the hog cloud cloud isn't contiguous, breaking up over east/central Illinois? Something about that area make it less hospitable to hog-raising/more amenable to a different industry?

Consistent rumours of fentanyl production scared off a lot of the hogs to work elsewhere.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

That map brings forth a peaceful Western Europe by rage-imploding the brains of all nationalists.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Belgium should be coloured in because we have massive territorial disputes with ourselves.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

That's true. Again from personal experience, most cartoons and kids' shows over here are dubbed in (Northern) Dutch, as spoken by people from the Netherlands, but no one ends up speaking that way themselves. If they did, people would make fun of them. They adopt their parents' and (especially) peers' speech patterns instead. The most I've noticed is that some children persist in using 'je/jij' instead of the ubiquitous and more typically Flemish 'ge/gij', and no doubt they get ribbed for that from time to time.

One of my nieces pronounced some words in a Netherlands way due to kids' cartoons, Ur she outgrew that relatively quickly.

I literally never heard anyone get ribbed for je/jij, that's a regular-rear end Flemish way of speaking.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Groda posted:

It should be called nothing at all.

"Hi, I'll have a nothing with everything on it."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tei posted:

Forget Godzilla in Japan, guys, I think we have a larger and more numerous problem with seagulls in UK.

What is in all that sewage they've been dumping into the ocean that creates these giga-gulls?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'd be interested in the logistics of a massive cube-house that is the home of the entire human race.

Do farmers commute halfway across the world to tend to their crop? Is there a 20-lane highway just for the cargo? How claustrophobic do you feel living somewhere at the bottom, like the 5th floor, in the center of the cube?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

One of the reasons that Belgian trains often run late is that everything has to pass through Brussels, most notably the Brussels-Central station, which has to process an enormous number of trains each day despite having only six tracks.

I've sometimes wondered why we don't built a big new train station outside Brussels, with the existing tracks into Brussels being used for shuttle trains from that new station into the current ones.
Then I remember how our regions like to gently caress each other over, it'd cost several billions and for some goddamn reason take 15 years to build, and it'd be more poo poo than what we hace now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not going to say all of the decisions made about territory post 1945 were good, a lot (probably all of them) were terrible, but it just kinda strikes me as cute when I read about countries other than USA, UK and USSR making demands. No, you are not making demands of the people that just saved you from the Nazis

The idea was to demand reparations for the damage nazi occupation brought to the occupied states. I recall there being a wild idea for territorial claims after WW1 which would have Belgium annex Dutch Limburg (the Netherlands being a neutral party) and be compensated for that by getting German lands.

After WW2 some lands did get traded in compensation, but we gave it back after realising we couldn't actually afford to administer the gains.

nimby fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 22, 2024