Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I took a bunch of night trains when I backpacked around Europe in 2004. IIRC the Barcelona to Turin (I think Turin, might have been Milan) route was the longest I did. Certainly enjoyed it a lot more than if I had flown.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This one is not really canon, since Atlantis was in Bolivia.

:hmmyes:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Some of these are less "translations" and more "adding a bunch of new words" (Alberta)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I'm Moscow.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Count Roland posted:

No context, just some nice maps I came across in my reading

That's a cool map, but why are Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands colored blue? They're independent countries.

Private Speech posted:

On the one hand it's funny how the US still has virtual colonies, but on the other:

it's considerably more comfortable than being an independent pacific nation.

Is this a breakdown of exports? From what country?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

So if I go to England and start sitting on an uninhabited mountain, it belongs to me? It can't possibly belong to any European country, given that they don't have people living on it.

If the mountain is an island and you've gone back in time before nation states existed, sure.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

Good thing the Europeans are in the clear because they started colonialism before there were nation states then. Phew!

I guess I don't really understand your argument. They should belong to Argentina because Argentina is the closest country, despite the population not wanting that? Should Barbados have been forced to join Venezuela? Is East Timor Indonesian?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

Of course. The Falklands are pretty much the least bad form of colonialism the British did. But that doesn't mean that white people should be allowed to go somewhere and claim land on the southern hemisphere because they think the world istheirs to divide up.

No, my argument is that white European settlers shouldn't conquer land in the global south no matter who or what is already on it. Antarctica doesn't belong to white settlers either.

I can't imagine anyone in this thread disagrees with any of that, just not sure why it leads to Argentina being the rightful owners of the Falklands.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

I never said anything about Argentina being the rightful owner of anything

That makes the last couple dozen posts pretty funny then if everybody was actually just agreeing with each other.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

steinrokkan posted:

Who cares about stupid nerd poo poo like justice or rightful claims, return las islas malvinas to Argentina because it would make the English hopping mad

Ok, I'm onboard now.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I hate all English people, and the United Kingdom, I have no problems with the idea of kicking all the Falkland Islanders off the islands, and don't care about what they want one single bit. Any position even slightly less extreme makes you one of these horrible people:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/may/14/fake-british-accents-americans-gen-z

Good post/AV combo

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Germany.png

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Guavanaut posted:

Did someone say bad maps?

"DNA in West Yorkshire is unique within the entire UK."

I guess everyone else in the UK is an identical twin.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

Spain was invaded (among many others) by the goths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

Today people from the canary islands call the iberian people "goths".[1]

The canary island was at some time invaded by spain, and you can quite see the cracks are still visible. Under the dictatorship of fascist Franco, their language was banned (Guanche), and until recently it was against the law to give your childrens Guanche names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanche_language

[1]
https://www.elpaiscanario.com/que-significa-y-de-donde-viene-la-palabra-godo/

Did Franco time-travel to the 17th century in order to ban it?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Grape posted:

What is the methedology anyway? The only thing I can guess is they took primary votes and split them or something? And the SPD areas were where Bernie got more votes than Biden?

That can't be it, Delaware is SPD (I'm sure most of the SPD areas went for Biden over Sanders too, but I don't need to look up Delaware).

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is the population of Egypt trying to draw a dick pointing at Sudan in the western desert?

What the gently caress Egypt, learn to draw

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Ah yes, the famously Muslim countries of Uganda and Mozambique.

What does "Argue with the wall if you disagree" mean?

OwlFancier posted:

Umayyad about it? :smuggo:

Goddamn it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Oh dear.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

The french did this

Goya was Spanish actually

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

The picture is part of the "Disaster of the war" showing the atrocities that the french comited when they invaded spain. Mass shooting of civilians. Hanging bodies with severed parts from trees. Soldiers raping womans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disasters_of_War

It was a joke...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Spazzle posted:

Stalin just didn't want miss out on investing in Eastern Poland.

:hmmyes:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ditocoaf posted:

I think the category names were applied afterwards by the mapmaker, and rather sloppily. Looking at the list of terms that represent that category, it seems to be a grouping for songs that praise God and/or a Monarch. For some reason, the AI made that one cluster.

I'm pretty sure they were just taking advantage of the dual meaning of the word "lord."

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wow, that's good. I hate everything about it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

I was going to say I was disappointed that New England seemed to include all of New England, but on closer look they grouped cape cod with Long Island which is just perfect.

Plus southern Connecticut is in the rust belt

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Grape posted:

When you find the context of the previous three posts make sure to write coordinates for anyone this bad at reading and that quick to make a searing gotcha.

Can I get a map of this sentence?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

Patronyms aren't middle names.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Guavanaut posted:

And that was the last time that England was conquered.

The Dutch were invited! The army invited them and ran away on purpose! :argh:

One weird trick to avoid being conquered

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I don't really understand how the Italian one would work.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

i say swears online posted:

haven't seen a "what's that map" posted here in awhile

Something about spiders given all the cobwebs

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

MeinPanzer posted:

A plane that was apparently shot down within Russia!? It's being widely reported, but that's really weird...

I assume this is a joke, but now I'm imagining Putin as Mr. Magoo just bumbling around while his enemies get killed in comical ways.

*Falls into radioactive poison*

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Guavanaut posted:

Extreme 'known local figure suffered fatal injuries while officers were responding' energy there.

It's a joke about his former employment

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although the nature of self-reporting makes me wonder about whether some of the less-black nations might also be just more heavily stigmatized against blacks.

Very cool map and the graphic's note about Brazil confirms that your thought is correct.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Solution for climate change: Cover Greenland in wind turbines.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RoastBeef posted:

Some great names tho, my favorite nyc bridge crosses the Hell Gate and is cleverly named the Hell Gate Bridge

Aren't most bridges named after what they cross/where they go?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RoastBeef posted:

In New York, the George Washington bridge crosses the Hudson/North River, likewise the Lincoln and Holland tunnels. The Tapanzee crosses it upstate and the Verazanno at the mouth of the harbor. The Brooklyn, Manhattan, and whitestone bridges cross the east river. The tribourough bridge crosses ... Something. The north and east river tunnels do go under the north and east rivers, but no one ever accused the Pennsylvania Railroad of creativity

Most of those bridges are named after what they cross/where they go? The Tapanzee Bridge crosses the Tapanzee, the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge crosses the Narrows, the Brooklyn Bridge leads to Brooklyn, the Manhattan bridge leads to Manhattan, the Whitestone Bridge leads to Whitestone, the Triborough Bridge leads to three different boroughs.

It's certainly not a hard rule, but it's extremely common.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Honj Steak posted:

For some odd reason I’ve heard it as „Habt ihr nur Pfannkuchen zuhause?“ ”Do you have only pancakes at home [instead of doors]?“

This rules

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BonHair posted:

It was whitely regarded as a well run country

Goddamn it

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

British Airways doesn’t fly to central Asia at all, so it might be easier to stick to the established Kazakhstan flight plan than to establish ties to countries whose ATC they have previously not communicated with

Don't they also have to pay a fee for transiting a country's airspace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wouldn’t they be more interest in slaves/goods than useless coinage?

It's not modern currency, the coins have intrinsic value.