Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

More family history related to politically-charged stuff: on my dad's side, we are related to Roger Williams, founder of Providence Plantations, which Rhode Island residents should recognize as a controversial partial-name for their state (Williams was a theologian, not a plantation master, so the term's erroneous. Another fellow founder was female theologian Anne Hutchinson). I know RI has tried to change their name to eliminate the "Plantation" part in recent years due to the negative connotations.

Considering there never were slave plantations in Rhode Island, this is incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Squalid posted:

Weber specifically rejects historical material explanations of the difference in the development between Northern and Southern colonies and instead attributes the failure of southern states to develop capitalist economies to their feudal mind-set.

I can't wrap my head around this one, what does he think created the feudal mind-set, other than material explanations? The profitabilty of importing African slaves into the region was just a coicidence?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Farecoal posted:

What? He was talking about the Roman empire.

Couldn't non-Roman citizens in Rome be flogged merely for wearing the clothes of a Roman at one point?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I've never heard about that in my life. Not saying that it didn't happen, but I really doubt it. There certainly were typical "barbarian clothes" and you see that in roman depictions of barbarians, but I don't think they expected non-roman people within the empire to dress that way, let alone require it. Everywhere that rome conquered and settled you see roman fashions, hairstyles, and culture come into vogue and I highly doubt that would have happened if the only people from Rome itself could dress in Roman clothing.

Admittedly it's one of those things someone stated authoritatively once somewhere but that I can't remember where or how I could possibly look it up.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I really wonder what goes through the heads of terrible map-drawers. Subtle trolling, or someone enthusiastic enough to make their own map, yet utterly incompetent at history, geography, or Google use.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
But isn't the Pakistani Taliban currently trying to overthrow the Pakistani government, that's why they keep setting off all those bombs? Maan, Afghanistan/Pakistan is so complicated.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Negative Entropy posted:

Afghan Taliban and Pakistani Taliban are not the same thing.

Hell, it's amazing the two groups haven't fought each other to follow the general trend of chaos in the region.

Thanks, that does really clear it up for me. So, if I'm understanding right, the Pakistani Taliban are a more recent ideological outgrowth of the Afghani Taliban, but who consider the Pakistani government not Islamic enough, and are trying to overthrow it rather than being supported by it, and this has caused a break in ties between them and the Afghani Taliban. Right?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Each to their own. And I have absolutely no issue with cousin marriages either. But it's basically a truism that if you don't have a certain small town mentality, 90 - 95 % of the land mass of any given country is a pretty awful place to live. My dream in life is to write a whole loving series of novels about the stupid and trivial life in a dying factory town like my hometown, I'd romanticise the gently caress out of it, but I wouldn't want to loving live there.

Tell us more about how your negative experiences in life are universal truisms. I grew up in a small town and was neither isolated nor unhappy, though I did move to the nearest city when I got to my 20s for the better starting job opportunities.

I'd still move back to my hometown if I could find a job there.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 2, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

esquilax posted:

I agree that Lincoln would never have chosen to let the South go, in the same way that Bush and Congress would never have chosen to leave Afghanistan alone after 9/11. I mostly view those as tautologies. As long as we recognize that wars are subject to choices, and that people's actions actually matter in history, and that we can morally judge people based on their actions, I think we're in agreement.

To bring it back to the initial cause of the derail, saying the south started the war before Lincoln came into office implies that he had no role in starting it, and that his (morally correct) actions did not matter in starting the war. I think he deserves the credit for acting to save the union, and saying it began before he came into office robs him of that. I feel a characterization that Lincoln was an actor in starting the civil war (as opposed to a passive observer or inheritor) is more generous to his legacy, more true to fact, and is a more useful/more appropriate lens to view other secession crises. I feel Lincoln's role in starting the war is mostly downplayed due to fear of supporting "War of Northern Aggression" ideas, and that the distinction between Lincoln as a proactive member in starting and continuing the war and Lincoln as a reactive inheritor of the war is not semantic or pedantic. We are doing him and ourselves a disservice when we describe his actions as "consequences" instead of "choices".

But would any president, in 1861, have allowed half the country to secede? I agree, Lincoln did have to choose an action that resulted in war, but unlike things like the war in Afghanistan or Iraq or anywhere else, any president would likely have responded to southern secession similarly. For that reason I have a very hard time blaming Lincoln, personally, for starting the war, because he had no control over the secession.

Anyway, in related Civil War discussion, people have a hard time wrapping their minds around the idea that the war was fought on the Confederate side to preserve slavery, but was not fought on the Union side to end slavery. Neo-confederates will like to say and to cite quotes showing that the goal of the North was to preserve the Union rather than to end slavery, therefore the war can't have been about slavery. But the one conclusion does not follow the other, and to come to it you have to completely ignore the South's actions and motivations at the start of the war.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 3, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Even more interesting, perhaps, is the distribution of the parent family, Dené-Yeniseian:

This one is still theoretical, though I've heard the evidence for it is growing. Current theory is that the Dene family isn't descended from Yeniseian, but both share a common origin further back in time, presumably in Siberia. Another interesting thing about the theory is that it must mean that either other American Indian languages have all diverged to the point where they can't be recognizable as members of that same language family, or all Native American language families are not related to each other and multiple language families passed through the Bering landbridge.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Killer robot posted:

I guess this counts as political just in the "someone's idea of what the regions of the US are":

Also, drat if Corn and Cotton don't have a bad color contrast for adjoining regions.

Was good for a laugh from me.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

duckmaster posted:

Interesting fact: Tea used to be more popular in the US than coffee, and coffee was more popular in the UK. During the American revolution the tea supply to the US was interrupted to such an extent that they were forced to import far more coffee; this in turn drove up the price of coffee overall meaning that British companies began to import far more tea.

Britain had a thriving coffee shop industry at the time whilst the US had a thriving teashop industry. Within just a generation or so this had been completely reversed.

So yes, Britain is now a tea drinking country primarily due to availability in the late 18th century, and vice versa for America.

I think chicory is still popular in parts of the Southern US in part because it was widely used as a coffee substitute during the Union blockade during the Civil War.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya this is the poo poo I'm getting at. Europeans love to tell each other how multiethnic they are because "Some people (that look pretty much the same as us and pretty much eat the same food) over there speak Russian/German/French and they still vote in our elections!" and then trash America in the next breath. Despite the fact that if we're just going by white people (which Europe almost always is) America is far more diverse and far more successful at integrating.

For Christ's sake Spanish and Italian football fans still throw bananas at their black players.

White people who all speak the same native language and who identify their group primarily as just "white" are not ethnically diverse, no matter what you want to believe. In fact success at assimilation (or integration if you prefer) is the very factor that makes things less diverse, those two things are mutually exclusive.

People who look and talk exactly the same eating different food once a week is not real diversity; people who cannot even communicate with each other and are considered entirely separate national groups within the same country are a real example of ethnic diversity.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 13, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Depends on how different Scots and Northern Irish and Welsh are from the English?

Though it's just hugely difficult to measure diversity. Are ethnically blacks who are fully assimilated into the Flemish culture more different from the white Flemish than the Walloons?

If I was going to make a map arbitrarily charting out diversity, I'd probably give linguistic diversity, racial diversity, and religious diversity about equal weight. Obviously there's more to diversity than both solely linguistic groupings or solely arbitrary racial groupings.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Beamed posted:

I wish I were as young and naive as you.

Yes, yes, the idea that an international militant group would modify a map from a video game to outline their grand plans is pretty funny, but it's completely untrue. I believe that particular map turned out to have originated on a White Supremacist forum, if I remember right.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

System Metternich posted:

There is indeed:

e: This guy has crazily detailed linguistic maps of all of Africa (and the rest of the world) if you're interested; no idea how accurate they are, though. He gives precedence to minority languages and/or those that are under pressure by a new standard (like e.g. Occitan in southern France), but there is at least one instance where he is dead wrong: him depicting Italian and Romansh as Tyrolean languages is really puzzling, as the last time Romance languages have been spoken there probably was 1000 years ago.

I can't say I'd much recommend these maps, crazily detailed or not. First of all, while giving precedence to languages spoken by a minority in a given area to better show the geographic distribution of minority languages is logical, he also seems to have listed wide swaths of territory in some areas as speaking languages that Ethnologue lists as having a couple hundred speakers total, and it's likely that in some of the blotches there's no speakers of the indicated languages there at all.

Also, the way the maps are colored, minor dialectal differences within languages are indistinguishable from borders between actual different languages, meaning that the maps won't tell you much unless you're already very familiar with what you're looking at. For continent-wide maps and especially for maps with a lot of languages he would have been much better off coloring everything mutually intelligible as the same color.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I have to say I guess I don't see what the big deal with school corporal punishment is, as long as it's done with parental permission, as it seems it almost always is. There's nobody to blame but their own lovely parents.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 13, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Freudian posted:

Maybe we could bring it into the workplace. Instead of firing people for failing a drug test, just knock them about a bit, teach them a short sharp lesson.

:rolleyes: I meant that I don't see a great deal of difference between parents hitting their children, and parents giving schools permission to hit their children. The blame ultimately still rests on the parents deciding that it's good policy to hit their children.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

All you other language families can suck it.

The crazy thing about this is that there's 200+ entirely separate language families on earth, but 2 of them include the native languages of something like 60% of all humanity, and the top 10, 85% of all humanity.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

cebrail posted:

If I was a cow, I'd much rather fight a dude in a funny dress or hunt tourists in a street than stand in my own poo poo while my legs break from my own fatness before I get slaughtered for meat.

Pretty sure fighting bulls lead pretty similar lives to ordinary cattle up until the bullfight. And cattle are usually raised in fields, regardless of where they end up slaughtered.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah, thats why the vast majority of the best universities in the world are in the United States.

not defending the absurd amount that is spent on university athletics, but this is post is just wrong.

You'll notice that none of the US's internationally top-ranked colleges are known for their sports teams.

Personally I pray for the day when some court rules that college football and basketball players have to be paid, so we can end this charade.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

University of Texas is ranked 30th internationally and has the largest football program. but yeah, a lot of the more popular teams are larger state schools.

(shrug) I only glanced at the top 20 or so. Most of them are sports non-entities.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I really question anyone's level of social advancement if they find themselves unironically stating that Europe is home to the world's most advanced cultures and Africa home to the least advanced cultures. A paradox.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

But countries with English as an official language are clearly more advanced than those without, which is why Nigeria and South Africa are below Britain :downs:

I believe the hidden factor in this chart that you're looking for here is whiteness.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eh, I don't know, I think it could be justified as the modern expression of traditional tendencies towards xenophobia/favoring the in-group. Plus modernity is not exactly modern anymore.

Yeah, but it fails to account for when "the in-group" doesn't line up with nationality. Which is the likely situation in a large number of countries, particularly post-colonial ones. Unless for those brackets for "nationality" they also swap in the relevant ethnic nationality.

Also I expected more than a lousy five questions for each axis on that chart. Though I suppose that's why countries have moved so drastically in position in what I assume was only a couple years.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

Not that it even meant all that much. Borders 500 years ago meant comparatively little in an era where nation-states, rule of law, nationalism, identity politics and mass literacy didn't exist.

They probably still mattered to the guy collecting taxes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Still slimmer than Murica.

Mexico actually has an even worse average obesity problem than the US, but it must be very class-skewed, judging from the map.

Also, people, in the US and elsewhere can't seem to figure out that the main reason that they're fat is because they eat too loving much.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

How can a whole country's dominant political force be a regional group?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Related question from someone who's very unfamiliar with the subject: What's the key difference between Serbians and Montenegrins? They're Serbo-Croatian-speaking Orthodox Christians too, right? Why did Montenegro wind up becoming its own separate country?

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 15, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The humid tropics were absolute deathzones for Europeans until the mid 19th century when quinine became widely available.

For something potentially-politically-loaded, it's probably no coincidence that the Mason-Dixon line corresponds almost exactly to the northernmost range of P. falsiparum.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I dunno. Their, perhaps cowardly, strategy, caused minimal losses in their population, and most of their Jews survived.

In my country, the Netherlands, the government tried opposing the nazis, failed, and fled. And then a German puppet government was set up, and their goons were very harsh against the people. The Jews that survived, survived because resistance movements spread throughout the country hid them from the nazis.

I wonder, if the Dutch government had taken a similar strategy of seemingly allowing the Germans in without protest, while silently shipping the Jews to British safety, if things would have gone better then, and Anne Frank would be an unknown old lady living in some care home now.

I really don't know if things would've been better. In any case, I'd always choose the strategy with the most survivors over a brave but stupid strategy. And that's why I'd never be popular as a politician.

The flip side of this is of course that the fewer Nazi troops spent defeating and occupying the Netherlands (or anywhere else), the more Nazi troops freed up to fight elsewhere. So if you were the leader of a western European country whose people were mostly considered fully human by the Nazis, the strategy of surrendering would be good for the survival your people, but bad for the chance of victory in the war as a whole. Quite the difficult decision, I would imagine.

Then again, the Slavs didn't get that choice, and if they had they might have surrendered rather than fought to the last man. So you can see how the Nazis were the authors of their own military defeat.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

doverhog posted:

Gini index is about income distribution. Doesn't have to mean anything W/R/T absolute wealth. The metrics used might be just plain wrong, doubt that's the case tho.

And yes I admit the red red red colour of the US on this map incited me to bash it, me and the map were on the same side it seems.

I'd still rather live in the US than India.

Seriously though, the real measure of well-being is how the bottom 10% and the median are doing.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 27, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

fishmech posted:

Originally New York had all the land in New Jersey before it got split off, and it didn't stetch as far north or west as it does these days, due to the 1763 Proclamation Line establishing a boundary for English settlement:

The 1763 Proclamation Line wasn't really the boundary for English settlement; it only barred the private purchase of Native lands beyond that point. The Line was moved west several times to encompass most of present-day West Virgina, Kentucky, and Tennessee between 1768 and 1774.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

fishmech posted:

Well yeah, the colonists said "gently caress that" pretty much immediately, but there still wasn't much settlement beyond it for quite some time. The colonies might as well have ended at its line.

Mostly because many of those treaties opening those territories up to white settlement had been negotiated with the Iroquios and not the actual tribes that lived there, who were technically under Iroquois overlordship/protection but who were pretty loving angry about their land being sold from under their feet and the proceeds going to another tribe. Understandably, they went into revolt, delaying settlement west for several years.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Your sexual fantasies tend to get twisted when you live with your parents until you're 40.

I shouldn't be making this joke as insane housing prices are actually leading to the same phenomenon here

Population growth in Europe 2001-2011
:

Blue is decline, red is growth.

Are some of these Eastern European countries just going to be completely hosed 10-20 years down the line, when they have a whole bunch of retirees and no younger generation to support pension payments, etc? It looks like it will be bad even on the personal level, since I imagine many of these retirees will have no adult children to help them out.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They will have to try and attract immigrants or rely on technological improvement. The alternative, above 'replacement rate' population growth, just kicks the can down the street for another generation.

It's real hard to convince people to start families when there's no jobs.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So? What do my feelings matter? As for the point about stability not being natural, what do you mean? Of course it's not perfectly stable in the long term, but it'd probably be a great idea to dial the current instability back to natural levels. Like how extinction is a perfectly natural thing, it's just that current number of extinctions far outmatches the base level.

The Sun will destroy the Earth before it runs out, ergo it's a perfectly sustainable source of energy for an Earth-based population,

We're never going to dial the current instability back to natural levels, that ship sailed at about the end of the Old Stone Age there. Every species expands and expands in population until it hits some sort of limit in the environment that causes its population numbers to collapse back down to equilibrium levels and other species catch up in the evolutionary arms race. We've never hit that limit.

The way I see it, our goal is not to return to some sort of natural equilibrium with nature, because short of wiping outselves out it's not possible to do that. Our goal is to prevent or delay that collapse that comes at the top of exponential population growth.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

davebo posted:

Different methods work for different people, so I'm not for banning the behavioral correction of people with fear and pain across the board, but are you in favor of some teacher you may not have even met yet hitting your (on other people's) kid with a stick without even hearing everyone's story first?

From my understanding these schools that allow corporal punishment always have a parental opt-out option. But of course, the parents in a district that allows corporal punishment are no doubt overwhelmingly in favor of it, which is why it's allowed there in the first place.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

never trust an elf posted:

American English are very much a democrat voting bloc

The votes of pretty much every white American ancestry group varies depending entirely on their region and income, they don't form blocs. New Englanders and Southerners have the most British ancestry in the country, and they're complete polar opposites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Golbez posted:

* "American" for whites in the South... Does anyone know the origin of that?

It's not a South thing in particular; I was doing genealogy work recently and all my New York and Michigan ancestors in the 19th century wrote "American" as their ethnicity. They were mostly English and Dutch descendants. Like another poster said, it's because the South didn't have as much immigration as the rest of the country around the turn of the 20th century.

Tei posted:

It seems all the places the spanish colonized are hosed places from hell, while the places colonized by anglos are much more modern with better culture and economy.
I am sure theres a map of that somewhere.

Racial caste system isn't the best beginning for a prosperous and harmonious society. Much "better" to wipe out most of the natives and replace them with your own people.

Though I don't know how this accounts for Argentina and Uruguay, which had/have Native demographics similar to the US/Canada/Australia.