Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This has got to be an American map because it's drawing the bullshit diagonal line that cuts off the Canadian coast off of Alaska. Seriously, look at that poo poo, the border is a straight line and then WHOOPS LETS CLAIM THE COAST AT AN ANGLE RIGHT WHERE THERE'S OIL!

I'm almost certain it's from The Economist actually. It definitely doesn't look very equidistant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

Wait, aren't modern Macedonians of Slavic origin? The Slavs didn't leave the Urals until like, 800 years after Alexander died.

Well they speak Bulgarian so basically they are just Bulgarians who through a quirk of history ended up in a State of Serbo-Croat speakers in a region the Ottomans called Macedonia because it was in vaguely the same area as Macedonia.

That whole region is just ridiculous; did you know Serbs, Croats, and Bosnians are all ethnically the same and speak the same language? The only difference is their religion.

e: Albanians and Kosovars are a whole different kettle of fish though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

esquilax posted:

An ethnic map of Chicago and suburbs. See if you can spot Cook County Jail.
Link to Huge

These maps really freak me out because of how obviously "ghetto-ised" American cities are.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Crameltonian posted:

This seems to be a blind spot with the UN's decolonisation process. Obviously colonialism is bad and all but what do you do when the population doesn't want to be 'decolonised'? Apparently you declare that they're wrong and they should be forced to become part of another country against their will in the name of freedom.

Here's a 19th Century French writer's vision of how Europe would look in the 20th Century.

I love that this dude apparently didn't know about the existence of any cities in Poland or Ukraine

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Britain also launched expeditions into what is now Saudi when they were defining the borders of Yemen, the borders remained pretty undefined though which led to the Saudi-Yemeni wars in the 30's which I think Britain was also involved in as the "protector" of both countries.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well shoot, learn something new everyday. Thanks! :tipshat:

Content:

The Sultan of Sulu signed an agreement with a British commercial syndicate back in Jan 1878 regarding Northern Borneo. The British interpreted the agreement as a cessation of Northern Borneo, while the Sultan of Sulu understood it to mean a lease-in-perpetuity.

Every year, the Malaysian Embassy cuts a check for 5,300.00 Ringgit to the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu, as the payable amount stipulated in the agreement, which Malaysia assumed the responsibility for after the formation of that nation-state. Malaysia follows the British interpretation that the amount is a "cession" payment, while the Sultan's descendants still consider it as rent.

The Philippines still maintains a claim to the area via its ties to the Sultanate of Sulu, while Malaysia disputes the validity of the claim due to the lack of desire from the people actually in Northern Borneo to fall under the sovereignty of the Philippines or the Sulu Sultanate.

The history of Borneo is incredibly complex, probably my favourite part are the White Rajahs of Sarawak a British dynasty who ruled the north-west of Borneo for over 100 years.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mano posted:

When have the British "invaded" Switzerland?

During the Hundred Years war I seem to remember.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Other outdated models of our universe, stuck between some good data and Biblical assumptions/reverence for Greek thinkers:

Geocentric model of the solar system, with the orbits of the Sun, Venus, and Mercury shown. Accounts for the apparent retrograde motion of those planets. Wikipedia says this is a copy of a Cassini drawing, and that it appeared in the first edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica in 1777, when it would have been known to be false. Interesting, because Cassini himself would have known it was a false model too, at least later in his life.

Is it really a geocentric model? It seems to me like it's actually just a way of working out the position of the planets as they appear in the night sky throughout the year.

Also

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Bigger version of that map thing for people who want to read the text:

It's worth reading the bible quotes because (as always with these things) they don't seem to say that the world is flat at all.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Smirr posted:

I realized just now that I've got a politically-loaded map right here on my wall. It's a map of Leipzig. Here it is in its entirety:

I'm surprised the government was releasing accurate maps like this to the public during the war.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about the axis is basically how japan refused to change tactics to counter the submarine threat and really the lack of change in Japanese tactics overall until it was basically too late. :psyduck:
Edit: I just looked up the submarine war and it looks like japan even refused to do basically any commerce raiding at all or intercept the massive lifeline to the soviet union that the us had set up. :psyboom:

The Japanese did everything possible to avoid a conflict with the Soviets for good reason

The Japanese position in China was very weak and a Soviet attack into Manchuria would have destroyed their war effort, at the same time the Soviets couldn't afford to pull troops from their western front which is the reason for their strange ceasefire throughout the period.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

SpecialK2 posted:

Poking around the OkTrends blog, which does "research" based on OkCupid's users and data and found this map.
From: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/

Hey Salt Lake City. What up?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Someone take all these obesity and life expectancy charts and overlay it onto a map showing poverty.

That's pretty much exactly what people were doing?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

All I'm seeing is obesity, life expectancy, diabetes, and gay rights?

The second one posted was the Human Development Index which includes relative income.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Spain has an unemployment rate of 55.5% ?! :psyduck: I knew it was bad, but I never thought it was that bad.

Youth unemployment rate of 55.5% yes.

Lot of angry young people in Europe these days with a lot of free time. Not dangerous at all.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's so distorted I can't really make out the countries at all :(

Adghanistan, Somalia, Columbia, Cambodia (basically)

But yeah I hate those super distorted maps.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The Monkey Man posted:

Yeah, the three major parties don't run candidates at all there.

Though the UUP is affiliated with the Tories and I believe the SDLP actually take the Labour whip at Westminster.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The Isle of Mann shouldn't really be the same colour as the UK given that
1. it isn't part of the UK and,
2. this sort of stuff is happening http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-22511962

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Some really great and interesting posts, the independence and partition of India is almost endlessly fascinating. Also worth reading up on the conflicts between India and China.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

The state of Celtic languages:

I had totally forgotten about that one year where Cardiff and Swansea swapped place for kicks.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Bad Iberia, Western Europe is over there.

Also Albania 2. The Caucuses are crazy.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

- Both maps seem overly generous in showing the spread of some minority languages such as the Celtic languages

People always seem very surprised by how widespread Welsh is. I was talking to one of my English friends the other day who'd been to Wales for a holiday (I live in Manchester) and he was amazed that when he went into shops and restaurants people would speak in Welsh first until he told them that he was English.

I mean I'm from Swansea which is linguistically a very anglified area but I still knew a lot of people, especially from the north of the county, who would speak in Welsh as their first language.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Emanuel Collective posted:

After all, modern Tunisians and Algerians probably don't have much in common with the Carthaginians.

I don't know the original Carthaginian settles were from Phonecia which was along the coast of modern Lebanon and Israel-Palestine, so they probably weren't too dissimilar from the mixed Semitic and Berber population of modern Tunisia.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

3peat posted:

Internet speeds! (from speedtest, so probably not completely accurate)

Interactive map here http://www.netindex.com/ . I find it interesting that Nigeria has a higher average than the US

My dad worked in telecoms in Nigeria for a bit and there was a lot of work done to boost connectivity for the oil firms in the delta, I'm assuming that's why it's so high.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's less people in North-America and Europe than I thought.

North America is very sparsely populated, it has about two thirds the population of Europe in about two and a half times the land area.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

TinTower posted:

I'm surprised Welsh is so high for Britain; I would've thought it would be Polish or Urdu.

Yes, I've just checked the 2011 census:
  1. Welsh: 562,000
  2. Polish: 546,000
  3. Punjabi: 273,000
  4. Urdu: 269,000
  5. Bengali: 221,000
  6. Gujarati: 213,000

I swear we have to stop every few pages for people to realise that Welsh is an actual thing that Welsh people actually speak.

I'd highly recommend that English people watch S4C and check out one of our many farming themed gameshows.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

1/2 of Cornwall's MPs are Tory, I think you're overestimating how not-popular they are (once you exclude some of the weird side effects of FPTP, very few parts of the UK that aren't stockbroker belts of the home counties are actually solid blue Tory.)

Cornish people vote liberal, English people who have moved to Cornwall because it is so quaint and it is great to be able to raise Julian and Crispin in the countryside vote tory.

e: see also why Pembrokeshire has Tory MPs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Holy poo poo, why would you even sail there after like, the 50th ship has gone down?! :psyduck:

Because you have to go through it if you want to sail up or down the eastern seaboard. Sticking to the coast is still a safer option that heading out to sea and it's faster because of the way the ocean currents work. the reason the cape is there is because it's where the north and south bound currents hit each other.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Nah, the border basically follows the 22nd parallel.

Which I think it where it is because it roughly marks the second cataract of the Nile. The waters above the second cataract in Sudan are fast flowing making them difficult to navigate and less inclined to flood. Below the second cataract in Egypt the waters are slower and more inclined to flooding leading to better farmland and more effective riverine navigation.

This led to the development of two different forms of society with the Nubians developing into a spread out pastoral culture and the Egyptians becoming densely populated agriculturalists.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

It's kind of cool how you can pick out major cities and urban areas on the map in most places. I can see what I'm guessing are the capitals of all three Baltic countries, Kiev, and Budapest, all picked out by their higher purchasing power.

Germany and Italy really mess with the pattern.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Estonia is apparently importing 167% of its gas consumption from Russia. Interesting.

Importing at a cheap rate and then selling it to Germans at a higher rate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

We should reset the calendar to have :911: be year zero. Because after that everything changed.

Would the eleventh of september be the start of the new year under this system? Also 11/9/911 A911 is going to be off the loving chain.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We should set the current time to [some arbitrary number] Before New Common Era. Not only is it completely fair, it would also give people in the future something to look forward to.

This combined with the tomb of nuclear evil is a recipe for success.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Try and find a pattern from this sporting event map:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I think the question was more like "what explains which countries play rugby?". I reckon it's something like rugby getting some kinda hold in places like Italy or Argentina before football.

Yeah this was the question. Why do Argentina, Japan and Georgia have world class rugby teams but Armenia, China and Chile don't? There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who plays rugby.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

They don't - "World Class" probably describes the ten countries that play in the six nations and the Rugby Championship; and even that's being generous towards Italy and Scotland...

I'll have you know that Japan produced the world's leading test match try scorer!

Also they are hosting the world cup in 2019.

Family Values posted:

How is Ireland so dependent on Russian energy, yet still has a positive balance of trade? What are they selling back to Russia? Or am I reading this thing wrong?

Well Ireland is a small country so they probably make the money back by exporting booze and "financial services"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lesser known fact, like vodka, Shoju actually reduces radiation sickness. That is, if kimchi didn't already make one immune to such lesser western diseases like "radiation sickness". Just have some hot water with it an you'd be fine.

Have a highly reputable and not in the least bit exaggerated map:

Even though I don't buy that map I've often wondered about how many christians there were in China. I went out with a girl from Guangzhou for a bit when I was at uni and I remember being really surprised to find out that her and a lot of her friends were christians.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

Was she Christian growing up or just since coming to university? I know there's kind of a concentrated effort to convert a lot of Chinese in the US so they can go back and spread the word.

I'm pretty certain she was a Christian before she got here because her dad was as well, and this was in the UK.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

If I had my time again I'd convince teenage me to stay in Wales for uni I think.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pakled posted:

Hah, that's weird. Was there any particular reason for this arrangement?

Great post in general.

I'm not sure but I think the counties did get MPs they just didn't vote for them every election, kind of like senators in the United States.

Also it's worth noting that the straight lines on the map show that two (or more) members are elected for the seat. This was the norm in English and Irish seats until the 1884 Representation of the People Act, but not in Scottish or Welsh seats.

Another weird anomaly were University Seats whereby members of universities elected their own members of parliament, these persisted into the 20th century and maintained the multiple member system.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Here's a much better climate map, although they probably could have made the colors contrast more. The green in the American South is a slightly different shade than the green in Western Europe, and they're both different from the green in Northern India:

Some sort of key for the acronyms at the bottom would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXs9cf2YWwg

edit: In case you think he's kidding. Basically imagine a drunk australian.

Sounds a bit Cornish to me.