Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Politically-loaded maps? Don't mind if I do!

This one is titled "europe-stateless-nations.gif" and is a redrawing of the continent along ethnic and/or linguistic borders, I think.

Something for the historians:

The ultimate revanchist map:

And finally what we always wanted to know:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I just got a good look at the Balkans and jesus christ what a mess! :stonk:
No wonder why they despise each other.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This is an administrative map of Liechtenstein, one of the world's smallest states nestled deep in the Alps, and also pretty much the only state I know of where the monarch actually got more power by a democratic vote (by threatening to leave the country when the vote turned out against him, though). Liechtenstein is a remnant of the Holy Roman Empire and came to be when an imperial decree merged several small villages together to a new principality in 1719. Against all odds, the tiny state managed to survive the end of the Empire in 1806 and gained factual independence when Napoleon added it to the list of member states of the Confederation of the Rhine the same year. Per article 4 of the constitution, all the seven municipalities have the permanent right to secede.

quote:

At the end of World War II, plans were made in the Netherlands to annex German territory as compensation for the damages caused by the war. In October 1945, the Dutch state asked Germany for 25 billion guilders in reparations, but in February 1945 it had already been established at the Yalta Conference that reparations would not be given in monetary form. The plan which was worked out in most detail was the one made by Frits Bakker-Schut, and hence became known as the Bakker-Schut Plan.

In its most ambitious form, this plan included the cities of Cologne, Aachen, Münster and Osnabrück, and would have enlarged the country by 30 to 50 percent. The local population had to be either deported, or, when still speaking the original Low German dialects, Dutchified. The plan was largely dropped after U.S. dismissal of it. Eventually, an area of a total size of 69 km2 was allocated to the Netherlands. Almost all of this was returned to West Germany in 1963 after Germany paid the Netherlands 280 million German marks.

Many Germans living in the Netherlands were however declared 'enemy subjects' after World War II ended and put into an internment camp in an operation called Black Tulip. A total of 3,691 Germans were ultimately deported. The UK responded by expelling 100,000 Dutch citizens living in occupied Germany.

A detailed map of all the communities of mainland France.

Pretty self-explanatory.

And finally: anyone care to guess what this map depicts? :)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Interesting how Atlanta differs from its surroundings in the last map.

Map of ethnicities in Atlanta. Red=White, Blue=Black, Orange=Hispanic, Green=Asian

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

The world weighted by alcohol consumption.

Per capita or absolute consumption?

The world by the year of the first establishment of a McDonald's restaurant.

Administrative levels of the world's states.

And it is a sad fact that for some people, even this map is "politically loaded" as in "not true":

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Where does this large soda area between Memphis and St. Louis come from? It seems pretty out of place.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Just remembered this:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Let's try that again with a different map:

e: At least concerning Africa, that map is still nonsensical, though. For example: The Central African Republic is 90% Christian and still labelled mainly as "Tribal" (whatever that means) for some reason. I think it's like GreenCard78 said: they incorporate indigenous rituals and ideas in their Christianity/Islam there, they must be secretly pagan! :downs:

Totally not Catholic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwzTaizDWc

e2: Possibly the only state that could rightfully be labelled "majority animist" is the South Sudan. The last comprehensive census there was in 1956, though.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 18, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

That reminds me:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

Looking at DC, what's a general hate group? I understand black separatist in DC but not general hate. "We don't take too kindly to folks who don't take too kindly, round nah!"

In the specific case of DC, it's the following groups:

American Free Press, a conspiracy nutbar "newspaper" with a hard right, antisemitic slant (think Dees, if you know of him)
As-Sabiqun, a radical Islamist movement known for their antisemitism.
Masjid Al-Islam, the aforementioned movement's mosque.

Southern Poverty Law Center posted:

These groups [i.e. "General Hate"] espouse a variety of rather unique hateful doctrines and beliefs that are not easily categorized. This list includes a “Jewish” group that is rabidly anti-Arab, a “Christian” group that is anti-Catholic and a polygamous “Mormon” breakaway sect that is racist. Many of the groups are vendors that sell a miscellany of hate materials from several different sectors of the white supremacist movement.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The Holy Roman Empire in 1789. Keep in mind that this map has already been massively simplified. :psyduck:

Estimates of just how many territories could be counted in the Empire range between 300 and 1000, from important European powers like Austria and Prussia all the way down to the "Imperial villages" with only a couple of hundred inhabitants or even the Imperial abbeys whose jurisdiction didn't extend beyond the monastery walls. I love this era :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Is this better?

Must've been an interesting place during the Cold War.

USA left, Russia right.

And here's a closer look on Gibraltar:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

And what an airport they do have:

(No, that's not a photoshop. As you can see on the map, the airport is directly behind the beach.)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I just rummaged a bit through the Flat Earth Forum. This is what they have to say to ships gradually disappearing as they sail away:

A crazy person posted:

The sea is calm to the observer at the shore, but after miles and miles at sea, statistics dictate that you will encounter a swell that will block the ship. The sea is never, never ever, calm for miles and miles, it's a constantly moving thing that never calms to the point of perfect flatness. Personally, I wish it did calm like you seem to think it does. It would be one of the most undisputed proofs of a flat-earth available. Sadly, it does not.

The only explanation for this is mental illness. I refuse to believe that otherwise normal people could ever believe this :psyduck:

Concerning maps, I present to you the Tabula Peutingeriana, a medieval copy of a fifth-century Roman road map (which in turn probably was an adaptation of a map drawn under Augustus), depicting all imperial roads, harbours and important cities; its depiction stretches up to the western reaches of China. The map depicts 555 cities and villages along with 3,500 other objects (e.g. light towers or shrines), as well as seas, rivers, forests, mountain ranges and more than 200,000 kilometres of road. The road segments are marked with the estimated time you'd need to travel the distance

Wikipedia has all segments stitched together, but that's too large to upload to imgur, so I'll give it to you piece by piece, beginning with the westernmost part:

This is roughly how the map segments correspond to the actual geography (the first segment with the British Isles and Spain was left out for some reason):

And finally I want to direct you to this fine site, where you can find out how long travelling a certain distance would have taken, based on the Peutinger data.

e: This site is way more precise with the travel times, but isn't as detailed and extensive as the Peutinger map.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Soviet Commubot, I've been wondering: how did you as an American from Michigan end up with the language revival efforts in Brittany?

quote:

The United States of Greater Austria (German: Vereinigte Staaten von Groß-Österreich) was a proposal, conceived by a group of scholars surrounding the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand, that never came to pass. This specific proposal was conceived by Aurel Popovici in 1906.

As the twentieth century started to unfold, the greatest problem facing the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary was that it consisted of about a dozen distinctly different ethnic groups, of which only two, the Germans and Hungarians (who together accounted for about 44% of the total population), wielded any power or control. The other ethnic groups, which were not involved in the state affairs, were consisted of Italians, Romanians and a group of Slavic peoples (Croatians, Czechs, Poles, Ruthenians, Serbs, Slovaks, Slovenes and Ukrainians). Among them, only Croats had limited autonomy in the Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia. The idea of the Dual Monarchy system of 1867 had been to split the previous Austrian Empire into two realms, one German-dominated, the other Hungarian-dominated. However, after various demonstrations, uprisings and acts of terrorism, it became readily apparent that the notion of two ethnic groups dominating the other ten could not survive in perpetuum.

Franz Ferdinand had planned to redraw the map of Austria-Hungary radically, creating a number of ethnically and linguistically dominated semi-autonomous "states" which would all be part of a larger confederation renamed the United States of Greater Austria. Under this plan, language and cultural identification was encouraged, and the disproportionate balance of power would be corrected. The idea was set to encounter heavy opposition from the Hungarian part of the Dual Monarchy, since a direct result of the reform would have been a significant territorial loss for Hungary.

However, the Archduke was assassinated at Sarajevo in 1914, triggering the outbreak of the First World War. After the war Austria-Hungary was dismantled and several new nation states were created, and various Austro-Hungarian territories were ceded to neighbouring countries by the victorious Entente powers.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

(Black means that less than 1 person/sqm lives there)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Do you have a super huge version of this? It looks right in most places but where I'm at it looks completely wrong. Problem is it's far too small even at 1240*826 to discern.

Sorry, this is all I have. The original data seems to come from here (there are corresponding maps of Alaska and Hawaii as well), perhaps you could just ask the creator?

Smirr posted:

What's that long, dark stretch running north-south in eastern Kansas (assuming it's not just Kansas being Kansas)?

The Flint Hills, perhaps?

On the same topic, I have found this massive interactive map in which every person in North America counted by the respective census bureaus is represented by one dot.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Schleswig is also linguistically quite interesting, because it has five officially recognised languages: Standard German, Low German (still spoken by many people especially in rural areas), Northern Frisian (spoken by about 8-10,000 people along Schleswig's western coast), Danish (spoken by perhaps 50,000 people mostly along the northern border) and Romanes (the language of the Roma and Sinti, spoken by at the most 5,000 people). Some linguists claim that South Jutlandic, a variant of Danish with a strong Low German influence, is actually a language of its own. There is also Petuh, a strange mixture of German, Low German, Standard Danish and South Jutlandic spoken by a handful of older people in Flensburg. A study done in the 1970s German border town of Rodenäs came to the conclusion that 28% of the population spoke all five local languages or dialects (i.e. Standard German, Low German, Standard Danish, South Jutlandic and Northern Frisian) more or less fluently. I'm loving stuff like this :allears:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

There are even some towns there (sort of)! Via Wikipedia: "The major town in the area is Abu Ramad which lies 30 kilometres (19 mi) north west of Hala'ib on the Red Sea coast. Abu Ramad is the last destination of the buses that connect the area to Cairo and the other cities of Egypt such as Aswan, Marsa Alam and Qena. The only other populated place is the small village of Hadarba, south east of Hala'ib town on the coast." Also it appears that some nomadic tribes live in the area. I didn't find any population numbers, though.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Kainser posted:

They are way beaten by the Vatican State with 15625 police officers per 100000 people :v:

The specific circumstances of the Vatican also mean that it has the highest crime rate in the world. Why? Because there are annually about 18 million visitors to the state, and that also means a lot of pickpocketing. In 1992, there were 455 Vatican citizens, with a recorded 397 civil (0.87 per capita) and 608 penal offences (1.33 per capita), adding up to a crime rate of 2.2 per capita :v:

Pictured: The world's smallest state at 0.17 sqm

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

To add to the pedantry: the very concept of 'borders' is rather yougn as well; aboaut until the French Revolution, two neighbouring villages on each side of a border wouldn't necessarily see themselves as French or German or Russian and Polish or whatever; they were just part of two different feudal systems, at the top of which two different monarchs stood. It could well be that twenty kilometres further into say, Germany, there would again be villages and areas 'belonging' to the French monarchy.

One example: The county of Charolais was an area in middle to eastern France that belonged to the Spanish monarchy from 1559 to 1684. That didn't mean that it wasn't "French", though: the people there continued to speak French, the area stayed within the feudal hierarchy of France with the French king at the top and you wouldn't have noticed at all when crossing the border that you had entered "Spain". The Spanish Hapsburgs sold it to a French nobleman whose dynasty continued to keep it as a "sovereign" county until 1761. It wasn't nominally a part of France until then, yet it... was. It's kind of complicated.

Charolais is the yellow blob to the right of the red guy.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Koramei posted:

and regarding border chat, it can't have been so crazy in places that weren't Europe? land had been getting divided up under colonialism for centuries before Napoleon; or was it a different sort of thing

I'm not sure I got I got your question right, but the uncertainty of borders was't eclusively European. "Statehood" was tied to the ruling person/dynasty in other regions of the world as ell, but there was another very important reason for unclear borders I forgot to mention: the cartoraphy of the time simply wasn't sufficient to define clear boundaries, especially in colonialist contexts. Take Africa, for example: Only during the berlin Congress of 1884 were clear borders defined. Before that colonial rule was tied to geological features like rivers or mountain ranges, sometimes also to latitude or longitude (with the added problem that noone knew where that was exactly). And until the second half of the 19th century, it was often also hard to say where colonial rule ended and dependent, but sovereign local rule began. Let's say that a Portuguese colony in Africa is established; at the coast there would be one or several trade colonies, i.e. towns and ports directly controlled by Portuguese trde companies. The surrounding tribes or kingdoms quickly become dependent on the money they can generate through those flourishing trade centres, and by diplomatic cunning and military might Portugal forces them firmly into its sphere of influence. To facilitate trading, the Portuguese now establish a series of outposts along a river into the inner country. Most locals start trading with them as well, but are they now colonial subjects? And if you call a sphere of influence a colonial realm, then where does it end? Up to the outermost extent of military power protection the Portugese could muster? Or encompassing the area where locals have grown dependent on trading with the Portuguese? How do you define "dependent"? Borders in the pre-modern era were mostly a very unclear and debatable issue, even more so in colonial spheres - there the European colonies tended to simply peter out instead of ending at a clearly defined point.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Number of languages

Threatened languages

Languages of Sardinia (check out the city of Alghero to the west where Catalan is spoken)

Decline of the Cornish language

Ways to die

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Electoral map of Poland in the 2007 election. Orange is center-right liberals, blue is national-conservative hard right:

The interesting tidbit comes from the black lines through the middle. These indicate the Partitions of Poland, which ended in 1918. The western part was Prussian/German, the eastern and southeastern belonged to Russia and Austria(-Hungary) respectively. Outside of Warsaw voting liberal, modern electoral geography ends up following the borders between 19th-century empires almost perfectly.

I'd say this is less the heritage of former partition and more because the Prussian part later became part of Germany with a German majority living in it. Virtually all Germans were expelled after 1945 and replaced by Poles coming from the formerly Polish-settled territories in today's Belarus and the Ukraine. When you have to start completely anew and aren't influenced by centuries of tradition, then I'd say you're more likely to be liberal.

So in a way it still goes back to the partitions, I guess :v:

(While looking up the demographic history of Poland, I also found out that as of 2002 there was still a Muslim Tatar minority of 447 people living in some villages in the north-east!)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Man, that was already 5 years ago? drat.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Not pictured: the Ubykh language once spoken in the area around Sochi (right to the north-west of Abchasia). The Ubykh were driven out by the Russians in the 1860s and emigrated en masse to Western Turkey, where their language slowly gave way to Turkish. Its last fluent speaker died in 1992. Why am I telling you this? Because Ubykh is special in the regards that it has 84 distinct consonants versus only two vocals, making it the most consonant-rich known language (if you discount some click languages of Africa)

I'll just link this huge-rear end 1856 map of the Caucasus. While it depicts the Caucasus already as unified under Russian rule, that's not true; the Circassian people (which the Ubykh were a part of) continued to resist at least until 1859.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Northwest, Northeast Caucasian, and Kartvelian/South Caucasian are recognized families, with a number of linguists concluding that Northeast and Northwest Caucasian are related. Others unify even Kartvelian into a larger Caucasian family, but this "Ibero-Caucasian hypothesis" is not usually accepted, even by the lumper Greenberg (who used the questionable mass comparison technique to propose that all Native American languages other than Na-Dené and Eskimo-Aleut belonged to a single family: Amerind and grouped Indo-European, Altaic, and Uralic languages into a dubious Eurasiatic family)

Greenberg was a really fascinating guy who dedicated his life towards finding new language connections and going always deeper into the rabbit hole of historical linguistics. While I understand that his work can and should be scrutinised and criticised, as a linguistically-minded historian this stuff is right up my alley! :D

Greenberg proposed a lot of new language families and phyla, for example:

Afroasiatic (~300 languages with about 300 million speakers; generally accepted. It's not a really new proposal, more of a strong modification and renaming of a previously proposed family)

Nilo-Saharan (~200 languages with about 50 million speakers; mostly accepted, but some languages are still awaiting research. It's believed to be Greenberg's "wastebasket" family into which he packed everything he wasn't too sure about.)

Niger-Congo (~1,400 languages with about 400 million speakers; generally accepted. Easily the family with the most languages)

Khoisan (17 languages with maybe ~350,000 speakers. Not accepted and only kept around as a convenient term for "click languages not belonging to a known family". With a few exceptions, all of the languages range from endangered to extinct)

Amerind (a lot of languages, of which most would have gone irrevocably lost during the European colonisation. Hotly debated and generally not accepted.

Eurasiatic (generally not accepted, even though the media seem to love the idea for some reason. Greenberg thought Amerind to be its closest realtive, but never mapped out a new phylum connecting the two. Some especially daring linguists have done so, calling the result "Nostratic" which is accepted even less.)

And of course, just after I gathered all those images I find this nifty little map neatly summarising all of Greenberg's proposed language families:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I think language maps are a good possibility to gauge where natives lived pre-Columbus, as the European concepts of "borders" and "claims" don't really apply.

Northern America and its language families. I don't know why large swaths of the eastern US and Florida are classified as "unknown" (I can't imagine that they were uninhabited), is there really so little information to work with?

Another map for the lower 48, going into much greater detail.

So it seems that there were indeed hardly any parts of the country that hadn't been settled/claimed in one way or another.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

MrMenshevik posted:

English uses 'Germany' by drawing on Greek and Latin for the place name instead of the Germanic roots of either the local language or English itself. English just loves to muddle its etymological roots and sometimes does really odd stuff with foreign names. The Arabic philosopher ibn Sina becomes Avicenna (ah vi senna), which makes sense as a corruption, but ibn Rushd becomes Averroes (ah vare oh ees). Why? Because English says, "gently caress you!" that's why.

To be fair, he's called Averroes in pretty much all European languages. He got that name as a Latinisation of his original one, though I have no idea what the medieval translators were thinking.

On the topic of the names for Germany I'll just crosspost this older post of me:

quote:

Germany has actually a lot of different names depending on what language you're speaking. The country calls itself Deutschland, coming from the Old High German adjective diutisc, "of the people". All Germanic languages with the sole exception of English (and Scots, I guess) derive their name for Germany from that, along with Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese. The demonym "Dutch" actually stems from that. The English Germany comes from the Latin Germania, which was the collective term for all Germanic tribes used by the Romans (and later on by the tribes themselves). It isn't entirely clear where it comes from, but English shares that origin with lots of other languages like Mongolian, Hebrew or Esperanto. The Spanish derive their name, as you said, from the Alemanni tribe which was the direct neighbour to the Galloromanes of France in the time before the formation of the Frankish kingdom; it entered the French language through that and spread from there throughout the Iberian peninsula, eventually reaching the Arab, Turkish and Persian languages as well. While the Slavic languages have different names for Germany, their adjectives all come from Old Slavic němьcь, "foreigner", which in turn comes from the word for "mute" (as they couldn't speak Slavic). The Hungarian and Romanian languages adopted that term as well. The Finnic languages derive their name for Germany from the Saxon tribe (e.g. Finnish Saksa), Lithuanian and Latvian call it Vokietija and Vacija, respectively - this probably comes from the Skandinavian Vagoth tribe. The Navajo say Bééshbichʼahníí bikéyah ("iron helmet"), as this was the code name for Germany during WWII. Medieval Latin and Greek derived their name from the Teutons and Franks, and in Rwanda and Burundi the names for Germany comes from "Guten Tag" ("Hello"), as this was what they heard the Germans saying to each other during the colonial era. :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I don't know of any, sorry - it's pretty much only Germany that has such a multitude of demonyms as far as I know.

The guy who created it also did some other interesting maps, though:

Wikipedia posted:

The first official published description of [Danubian endemic familial nephropathy] was made by the Bulgarian nephrologist Dr. Yoto Tanchev and his team in 1956 in the Bulgarian Journal Savremenna Medizina, a priority generally acknowledged by the international nephrological community. Their study was based on a wide screening of inhabitants of the villages around the town of Vratsa, Bulgaria. Their contribution to the understanding of this unusual endemic disease of the kidneys was their description of symptoms which were not typical of common chronic nephritis, i.e., incidence only in adults (no children affected), absence of high blood pressure, xanthochromia of palms and soles (Tanchev's sign), early hypochromic anemia, absence of proteinuria, and slow progression of kidney failure.
A striking feature of the disease is its very localized occurrence. There are approximately ten small areas where it occurs, all of them more or less rural, but nothing seems to connect those areas other than the occurrence of this illness. Tanchev and colleagues suggested that the condition was sui generis. Their initial tentative hypothesis for its cause was intoxication with heavy metals, because the affected villages were supplied with water coming from nearby Vratsa Mountain, a karst-type mountain.
The disease was originally called "Vratsa nephritis," and became known as "Balkan endemic nephropathy" later, after people living in Yugoslavia and Romania were found to be suffering from it as well.

The etiology of DEFN is not certain, although chronic exposure to dietary aristolochic acid has been identified as a major risk factor for DEFN and other, related disorders.
In the Balkan region, dietary aristolochic acid exposure may come from the consumption of the seeds of Aristolochia clematitis (European birthwort), a plant native to the endemic region, which are thought to comingle with the wheat used for bread. This theory has recently been further supported by the research of cancer biologist Arthur P. Grollman, director of the chemical biology lab at Stony Brook University in New York, and his colleague Bojan Jelaković, an associate professor at the Zagreb University School of Medicine. Aristolochic-acid-containing herbal remedies used in traditional Chinese medicine are associated with a related—possibly identical—condition known as "Chinese herbs nephropathy". Exposure to aristolochic acid is associated with a high incidence of uroepithelial tumorigenesis.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This muturzikin guy has made linguistic maps for pretty much the entire world, and they're all like this - generally OK from a historical viewpoint, but wildly differing in what period it wants to depict and miles away from being current in any way. Cornwall hasn't been majority Cornish-speaking for at least four centuries (hell, the language actually died out in the 18th century and only experienced som sort of revival since the early 20th cenutry with a whopping 557 L1 speakers in 2011!), for example, and Romance languages have been extinct in Tyrol since the early Middle Ages.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Though to be fair, the non-German-speaking parts were mostly less involved in the laws and institutional dealings of the Empire than the rest. The princes of Imperial Italy for example weren't allowed to sit in the Imperial Diet, their territories weren't incorporated into the Imperial Circles and the statues of the Ewiger Landfriede didn't apply to them (the Reichshofrat continued to play an important role there, however). The elites of the Burgundian Circle (Burgundy and the Low Countries) felt little connection to the Empire already by the early 16th century (leaving Imperial jurisdiction in 1548) and chose to rebel against Spain/the Hapsburgs in 1568, leaving the Empire for good with the Treaty of Westphalia (as did the Swiss). Silesia belonged to the Bohemian crown until 1742. From the 15th century onward to 1708, the King of Bohemia only acted in his capacity as a prince-elector during actual elections; Bohemia wasn't part of the circles as well. On the western border, territories and cities like Savoy, Metz etc. were slowly, but steadily pulled out of Imperial influence by the French, even though they legally remained a part of the Empire for much longer, Savoy even up to 1801. And then there were the many German-speaking territories which held a privilegium de non appellando/evocando, meaning that Imperial jurisdiction was limited there as well; especially Prussia distanced itself massively from the Empire during the 18th century. On the other hand, the territories of the Teutonic Knights in the Baltic regions were regarded as part of the Empire far into the EME by the Emperor and the Diet, even if this was far from reality.

In short: it's complicated, as is everything concerning the HRE :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

"For reasons of history, economic structure, favorable geography and the welfare of mankind, the U.S.A must, altruistically, assume the leadership of the newly established, democratic order."

"Altruistically" :allears:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tis is why I like the Bavarian election system: all first votes that didn't go towards the winner aren't lost, but are instead considered when determining the parliament's final composition as well.

Oh, and I found this totally rad video about the difference between Holland and the Netherlands, I think especially A Buttery Pastry would appreciate it:

link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 4, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

In the same vein:

(yellow=Catholic, purple=Protestant, blue=unaffiliated.)

Keep in mind that this has already been strongly simplified; in some regions, you can still find nearly 100% Protestant villages neighbouring Catholic ones etc. Man, that would make for some pretty borders! :waycool:

fake edit: Can you spot the former GDR?

VitalSigns posted:

This actually happened, briefly. I give you the Bavarian Soviet Republic!

In the aftermath of WWI, a Communist revolution deposed the Bavarian monarchy and declared independence. [...]

The best part is how the revolution began: the story is that King Ludwig III went for a stroll through the Englischer Garten as he did every day, when he met a couple of workers who told him "Your Majesty, go home - we've got a revolution!". Ludwig went home, saw that most of his personal detail had already vanished, left Munich and a couple of days later freed all Bavarian officials from their oath towards him so that the country could continue to function.

Other fun stories from this weird revolution include the then mayor of Cologne Konrad Adenaur (he would later become Germany's first post-war chancellor) demanding that a train full of revolutionary soldiers towards Cologne would be stopped; the Imperial Rail Agency refused to do so, as keeping the schedule was more important than potentially delaying a revulution. When the soldiers arrived in Cologne, Adenaur received them politely, advised them to keep down the guns, made room for them in the city hall and ordered 300,000 litres of alcohol to be poured into the Rhine as a precaution. Duke Ernst August of Brunswick asked for half an hour to think, then signed his abdication and left the state, never to return. The King of Saxony received news of his deposition by phone; when asked whether he would abdicate willingly, he said: "Oh, well, I suppose I'd better." and (supposedly) left the country with an annoyed "Then do your stuff alone!"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I'd not heard that before; those stories were awesome. The Bavarian Wittelsbach monarchy always seemed pretty cool (even the crazy one just wanted to be left alone to build sweet palaces :3:). I still don't understand what made them change their minds about their historical Prussian enemies and agree to call the Hohenzollern "oh hey has it been 30 years already, welp, time to drown Europe in blood again" family their Emperors.

It was a combination of things. A big factor was the general nationalist trend prevalent during the time. Bavaria had fought alongside Austria in 1866 against the Prussian aggressor and lost; many people yearnig for a unified Germany accepted this as a sign that such a new country could only exist under Prussian leadership and with the exclusion of Austria. While a majority of Catholic Bavaria didn't share this sentiment at all, many Protestants in Franconia (the northern part of Bavaria) and the bourgeoisie in the larger cities supported that notion; especially the second group was able to exert significant influence. The nationalist fervour that swept all German states with the French declaration of war in 1870 (and the cunning diplomacy and PR of Bismark beforehand, in particular the publication of a shortened version of a telegraph by the French emperor which made it sound much more aggressive and threatening) made it pretty much impossible for the Bavarian authorities not to join in the war effort. The fact that Bavarian territory extended to the French border at the time and therefore was directly part of the front certainly played into that.

The second important aspect was money, plain and simple. While Ludwig II did build all those awesome palaces, he didn't give two fucks about finances while doing so. The result was that Bavaria was up to its neck in debt. Prussia had annexed Hanover four years before and had gathered the extensive possessions of the previous ruling dynasty of the Welfs into a single fond. Bismarck promised the Bavarian government large sums out of that fond in exchange for an agreement to the formation of a new German Empire. This new Empire still was widely unpopular with many Bavarians, and so Ludwig (and all of his ministers) symbollicaly refused to attend the proclamation of the new Empire in Versailles. Bavaria also got lots of so-called "particular rights" to sweeten the deal, like an own postal office, an own rail agency, an own military and even the right to the (limited) continuation of an own foreign policy with embassies in (I believe) Vienna, Rome, Paris, St Petersburg and Bern. While those special rights never were able to threaten to the unity of the new Empire, they were an important factor in keeping alive the feeling of Bavarian distinctiveness that endures even now.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Servus, native German speaker! I hate to be that guy, but I thought you might want to improve on your English grammar a bit: replace every instance of "an" in that sentence with "its" (without apostrophe).

No problem, thanks - though to my defence, I was already half-asleep at the time :v:

Literacy in Austria-Hungary as by the 1880 census

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 4, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Gimme more language maps language maps are the best

How prominent/recognisable is the dialectal variety in New Orleans after Katrina?

Romance languages of Europe. Keep in mind that this is still somewhat simplified, as the langues d'oil could still be separated into numerous other dialects/languages. I'm counting 16 (e.g. Walloon, Gallo or Picard) for this group alone. You could probably do this with other dialect groups depicted here as well.

I'm really sad that the old dialect continuum of Romance languages has been declining throughout recent years. It used to be that you could wander from the southern tip of Spain all the way to Sicily, and every city and village would speak only a little bit differently than the one before , but now it seems that most people only speak their respective standard language anymore and that national borders mostly correspond with linguistic ones. How boring :(

Same for this map. While it goes into a bit more detail (and the Germanic language group is aurguably less diverse than the Romance group), the difference between, say, a person from the western edge of Bavarian and a man from Vienna is still stark as I am experiencing every day.

If you can read German, then you might be interested in the Lexikon der Sprachen des europäischen Ostens which offers detailed articles on all living or extinct languages known to be or have been spoken in Eastern Europe. I'm counting 111.

And now keep in mind that Europe is the continent with the smallest languages/people ratio. Man, I loving love linguistic diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

You should really have some more nostalgia for the Germanic languages of the 6th-9th century. Why, in the 8th century, you could travel from the SW of the Iberian peninsula, up into Italy through Pavia, straight East all the way to the Dnieper, up north to the Baltic, west to the British islands, and then back down south through what is now France back to either Iberia or Pavia, and you could meet Germanic speakers who would be intelligible to you. Gosh I wish we could go back to the 8th century.

Yes, because regretting a sharp decline in linguistic diversity throughout the last 50-60 years or so that happened to a large extent because of restrictive language policies and enforced cultural standardization is exactly the same as wanting to go back to the Middle Ages :rolleyes:

(Also, this doesn't copmpare at all. Most Germanic speakers of that time were members of a smallish ruling elite that had established itself by force of arms after the turmoil of the Migration Period. In most areas outside of Germany, the Netherlands and England, they assimilated into the predominant Celtic, Slavic or Romance culture after a while, leaving behind only marginal linguistic traces. The fact that "Alfonso" is a popular Spanish first name to this day is one of those remnants, for example. On the other hand you have linguistic communities that have existed for centuries or even millennia being suppressed and disappearing slowly. Sorry that, say, the fate of the 500 remaining speakers of Istro-Romanian is of more interest to me than a couple of Germanic warlords that have been dead for 1500 years, I guess!)

Boiled Water posted:

Which has the highest?

I'll just quote this statistic:

Region - Number of languages altogether - Number (percentage) of large languages - Number (percentage) of medium-sized languages - Number (percentage) of small languages

pre:
World     6417   273 (4,2%)   4162 (64,8%)   1982 (30,8%)
Asia      1906   126 (6,6%)   1549 (81,3%)    231 (12,1%)
Africa    1821    92 (5,1%)   1607 (88,2%)    122 (6,7%)
Pacific   1268     1 (0,1%)    507 (40,0%)    775 (61,1%)
America   1013    10 (0,9%)    428 (42,2%)    575 (56,7%)
Australia* 266                  11 (4,2%)     255 (95,8%)
Europe     143    48 (33,6%)    72 (50,4%)     23 (16,0%)
Large languages = languages with 1 million speakers or more, e.g. English, Catalan, Estonian
Medium languages = languages that are spoken by more than 1,000, but less than 1 million people, e.g. Basque, Welsh, Udmurt
Small languages = Languages with between 1 and 1,000 speakers, e.g. Ainu, Livonian**, Karore

* While English is spoken by millions of people in Australia, it isn't mentioned because every language is counted only once independent of its worldwide extent. That means that e.g. English and Spanish are counted only once under "European"

Source: Haarmann, Harald: Weltgeschichte der Sprachen, Munich 2010, p. 326.

** e: I just found out that the last native speaker of Livonian died four months ago, so you can strike that one out, I guess :(

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 4, 2013