Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

Who is John Parker and why does he have a green named after him?

My guess is that it references John Parker, commander of the Revolutionary forces at Lexington Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Minrad posted:

:allears: Shasta is the best state name. Well, except for maybe Gary.

It's Saturday night, I've got no date, a two liter bottle of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

AlexG posted:

Contested seas around Gibraltar: the dispute affects access to the port of Gibraltar (where ships like to refuel) and fishing in the surrounding waters. Gibraltar is also famously one of the "keys that lock the world" from a military perspective.

:spain: Spanish claim - only the bay belongs to Blighty.

:britain: British claim - a nice 3-nautical-mile chunk of territorial waters.

I'm not sure I understand this map, is Spain's claim that they own the waters of the port while the waters of the bay and the peninsula are owned by the UK?

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Apparently there are a lot of 40 year old men looking for love at strip clubs and adult bookstores.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

That's missing the county I grew up in! Boo to that map!

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I'd assume they're blamed for the current economic situation.

I like that every nation named itself as most compassionate, and that the British/French enmity continues to this day. It's interesting that the Czechs think the Slovaks are the least arrogant - I guess sharing a nation with a culture helps to break barriers (sometimes).

Greek unemployment is huge, with the last youth unemployment rate a staggering 64%. Germany has pushed for austerity measures that have cut social services in exchange for bailing out Greek debt which was/is very unpopular with the people of Greece.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Riso posted:

Firstly it's not Germany alone, and secondly it is the Greek politicians choice to cut things that mostly hurt the people, instead of them and their crook friends.

That's true, and some Greek politicians have suffered for it (e.g. Papandreou) but there are a lot of Greek people who blame Germany.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Wow "tonic" has been erased from the non-alcoholic carbonated beverage map entirely. When I was growing up in the 80's I had cousins in the Boston suburbs who called it tonic, that wasn't that long ago.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never heard anyone refer to soft drinks as "tonic" except maybe ads from the 1890s. Are you sure they didn't mean tonic water?

Positive. To give some more information, it was my fathers side of the family, they grew up lower middle class in Waltham, MA. My grandfather was a marine in the Pacific theater in WWII, so maybe it came from there, but I tend to think not since my dad still occasionally said tonic into the early 90's. I'd think if it was something his peers weren't saying as a kid he would have dropped it. His father, sister and her children all said it at least until '94 or '95 when my grandfather died and a rift in the family prevented me from observing the evolution of the vernacular. But yeah, it was definitely all fizzy soft drinks.

Edit: http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/308-the-pop-vs-soda-map mentions it fading in popularity in the Boston area. This was the map I was thinking of when I said earlier that I guessed tonic wasn't showing up anymore, but it doesn't even show up on this map. Also if you google soda vs pop vs tonic there's a Boston Globe article about it but it's subscriber-only.

Elim Garak fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 6, 2013

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Interesting that both New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut call it "mischief night" but apparently NYC doesn't.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

redshirt posted:

I was eager to see they had a language map for sandwiches.

Up here in Maine, I'm convinced the name of this sandwich (cold cuts on a long sandwich bun) is primarily called "Italian". You see them referenced this way everywhere, and I can't recall seeing them referred to as "Grinder", ever.

But "Italian" doesn't show up on the map. Bummer!

If you click through the page has several maps with various words represented in various colors. This is the "Italian sandwich" map, and Maine is indeed heavily represented:

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

memy posted:

^Since this is apparently the pedantry thread, I'd like to point out that it's an image macro, not a meme.

If we're going down that road, it is both, as Unhelpful High School Teacher is a definite meme.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

It's probably low interest in football (Panthers suck) coupled with Pittsburg and Dallas being big "export teams." Dallas is "America's Team." Both teams also had years in the past when they were doing well, it wouldn't surprise me if those who grew up during the Pittsburg early 80s dynasty became big fans and passed it on to their kids. You may find in a decade or two that those who have gotten into football over the past few years have higher rates of Patriots fans because they've done so well over the last decade or so.

Also the Panthers are a relatively new team so thirty years ago there was no in-born loyalty in that area.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seriously, how many people know that Kazakhstan is not a fictional country made up by Sacha Cohen?

Maybe this is unrealistic, but I hope a lot, even if they couldn't find it on a map.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Prism posted:

Doubled them. The actual worth of that money had slipped quite a ways.

Also, that was right around the time Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? was a prime time thing and there were a lot of jokes/complaints that the amount you could walk away with on Jeopardy! was not on par with the difficulty of the show.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Tekopo posted:

In italy, although we use the word 'Germania' for the country, the people are called 'Tedeschi', a word that comes from the same root as Deutsche.

There's a chain of stores around here called "Tedeschi's," so does that indicate an Italian family of German descent? I had always assumed it was just a surname.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Interesting, I've never heard of the guy riding a cod that's leaping over the place of my birth, Bowleg Bill.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Given that this map shows very little area where you will reach the Gulf of Mexico by heading south I'm not sure you're disproving his point.

Dusseldorf is saying that you could farm that area reasonably well despite the fact it is not directly north of the Gulf because of the aquifer.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Reveilled posted:

The Kingdom of England spent almost a millenium attempting to enforce its claim of overlordship over the other kingdoms of the british isles, and although in the end the integration of the last holdout (Scotland) was in a sense voluntary, unification of the British Isles under a single state was the culmination of an England's primary foreign policy goal since before England was even a permenant state.

But even then you can't say they kept it, since most of Ireland achieved independence.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Asian male preference results.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "Asian male preference results" mean in this context?

edit: Oh I got it, by selecting male babies there is less opportunity for heterosexuals to have sex and so the age goes up. How does that apply to India then, do they sex select as heavily as China?

Elim Garak fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

I'd hate to see the entertainment industry of Los Angeles, Utah.