Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wow, Malaya and Thailand become part of China, and the Commonwealth swallows Indonesia. And Palestine becomes "Hebrewland", it's quite hilarious.

Also Greece has its own federal republic and Turkey is its own independent nation. Two tiny states sandwiched between the USSR and the Western alliance, gee I wonder if some president might try to butt his head in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lobster God posted:

In a similar vein:

What's that Eastern USSR part that says "Used to be British but gone to the dogs now"? It corresponds to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky but its wiki says it's never been occupied by the British.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm almost certain it's from The Economist actually. It definitely doesn't look very equidistant though.
That's BBC's map This is The Economist's map, actually:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How are any of these railway maps "politically loaded"?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is the legal status of rivers that are used as borders? Who collects levy fees, pays for clean-ups and prevents the other side from doing dumb things with it?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Chinese name of Nepal is a transliteration of the English name anyway. Look for "Expensive State" at the bottom. It's quite fun figuring out what the Chinese name is supposed to be without any knowledge of Chinese geography.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The map is so meaningless as to be useless. People treat different foreigners differently. A pasty white man doesn't get the same reception as a black man in most countries of the world, not to mention in some of the Eastern European countries. The Chinese diaspora get a much better reception in China than a Japanese, but we're all considered "foreign visitors" in that survey. I don't know what company, academic or layman can meaningfully use that map.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why doesn't Canada get a colour?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

menino posted:

Speaking of Iran:

What do the stars mean?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Actually, yes: Ísland

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a reason Montenegro has so many officers?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Replace the word "Parliament" with "Legislature". There you go, loving semantics.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why Venezuela?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Amarkov posted:

The British, like all colonial powers, didn't really "get" their colonies. So when British India got its independence, it was partitioned into two parts: majority-Hindu India and majority-Muslim Pakistan. Modern Bangladesh was part of Pakistan, because they were Muslims and all Muslims need to be in the same country I guess.
I've never really bothered to study Pakistan's and Bangladesh's geography but I didn't know how hosed up the British made them :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India#Mountbatten_Plan

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It is impossible to translate between languages with the same meaning. At best you're doing a best-fit conversion and you're still losing a ton of nuance and indeed, culture. If you have any knowledge of another language, preferably one of a different family, you'll realise how obvious this point is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Somebody needs to make a strategy game with this map.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

This map is a wonderful illustration of how the experience of European colonization in the Americas - in the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries - created a very different notion of citizenship than the closest medieval and early modern equivalents to "citizenship" in Europe as well as the subsequent notions of citizenship in Europe and the world.
Why haven't the Asian and African former colonies done the same jus soli thing though? I don't think the map shows all that much except Americans are ballers for birthright citizenship.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Florida is just identity theft? No way dude.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kalos posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure most of the US thinks England, the United Kingdom, and Great Britain are all completely interchangeable terms that mean the exact same thing.
I'm pretty sure most people outside the UK are utterly baffled by the political arrangement of the British Isles. Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom, the British Isles, Crown dependencies. When it comes down to it I wouldn't be surprised if some Britons couldn't finger the finer distinctions.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 11, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

Even this list is wrong: there is no such thing as "Britain" other than as an abbreviation of "Great Britain" :v:
That's what I thought, but it can also refer to the UK, the British Isles, or the British Islands (forgot to include this in my list). It's the least specific term, but also the most prevalent. Britain prevails, I guess...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You should all move to city-states because we don't have this problem :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Or Monaco or Vatican City! (I had thought there were more)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

texaholic posted:

Would you rather prevent the Holocaust or 9/11, about as politically loaded as a map can get...

http://www.rrrather.com/view/2701

I found this on reddit if that matters

edit: for timg
Given the one of the options is "Less than 30 people answered" I'm inclined to think the other options are all based on sample sizes of 30...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This map kicks rear end so much. Are there more symbolic maps like this?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Lake Erie is a Great Lake" translates as 伊利湖是个大湖. The problem with that is twofold:

1. There isn't really a way to signal proper nouns in Chinese. In English capitalization is used (Great Lake instead of great lake), but beyond punctuations there isn't something like that in Chinese. So imagine reading "Lake Erie is a great lake".

2. ...EXCEPT the character for "great" is also that for "big". So now you're reading "Lake Erie is a big lake".

"Lake Erie is one of the Great Lakes" is less problematic. It translates as 伊利湖是五大湖其中之一, which is literally: Lake Erie is Five Great Lakes, Of Which One. It's only four more characters which I don't think is especially cumbersome, but it's certainly more elegant in English.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Teddles posted:

From the last page, but this map is pretty cool; unless I've got something horribly wrong, the characters for America literally read a-me-ri-c(k)a, with north- and south- added in the appropriate places.
It reads Ya-mo-li-jia. Turns out the dude who made that map is an Italian called Matteo Ricci who came to China to spread Christianity. There's an 11,726 x 5,266 pixel (!) map at his Wikipedia page.

Here's a thumbnail:

Direct link to the huge loving thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

The Chinese name for Canada is literally "Village?"
Yeah, you're making this up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Australia isn't "Big Harbour", although the choices of characters used to transliterate it lend themselves towards marine associations. There's somehow an entire PDF on this topic.

KernelSlanders posted:

If I remember correctly the word for the U.S. is mei guo, which means beautiful kingdom.
Country would be more appropriate than kingdom, but yes. In general Chinese translations of state names are made with transliterations in mind, and any logical association with the features of the country are merely a bonus.

To get back from the derail, here are three maps.

(included this one just for The Han Tyranny :black101: )

Every country needs a partition plan.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great post, Lord Hydronium. Does this mean globes are generally accurate for areas and stuff? Are there ways a globe can be biased?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who is the "they" in "what they call themselves"? The native people? The majority? The Chinese are surely not the natives of Taiwan, though I don't know what the indigenous people call their land.

On Myanmar, the name has a negative connotation because it's associated with the military junta that formalized it. But yeah, it's basically the same word as Burma, and I don't think many Burmans make a fuss about it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

By this token, we shouldn't consider 'The United States of America' to be the local name of that country, since English speakers aren't the natives. For all intents and purposes, the local language in Taiwan is Chinese. You could debate whether Hokkien, Hakka or Mandarin is the appropriate variety of Chinese to call 'local,' but that's neither here nor there.

Modern aborigines also refer to the country as Taiwan. A-Lin is probably the most famous modern aborigine, and she refers to herself as Taiwanese.
You're right -- it's debatable whether the USA can be called the native name of the country. It may be an official name, an accepted name, but it's problematic as a "native name". Is it a native name because native people call it such? Who are the native people? What if there are multiple native peoples with different languages? I'm pointing out the problem with the map more than anything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh heres a good one.

How did Austria-Hungary discover some obscure stretch of land just off Russia's coast?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I suppose this is the thread to ask this question. Would the Winkel Tripel projection be the best idea for a wall map? And does anybody know where to get it at an affordable price?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brennanite posted:

It's from the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
That explains why Scotland is Clever Handsomeland.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Darth Various posted:

abunchofmoviesyou'veneverheardof.jpg

In the Name of the Father is really good and features Daniel Day-Lewis in one of his best roles.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

muike posted:

When China writes down foreign words they do it by phonetically spelling it with similar words in Chinese, that, if used as Chinese, are absolute gibberish.
Not always -- Iceland ("Ice Island") is a good counter-example. In general all names are transliterations, and some names try to incorporate characters relevant to the countries (or flatter them -- America is "Beautiful Country").

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There is no hypothetical situation. Unless China gets a Gorbachev-esque type of leader, Tibet is not going anywhere.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

esquilax posted:

Then use China/Tibet as an example. It's likely that President Xi allowing Tibet to secede would be politically unacceptable for him, and that they would "have no choice but to invade". It still doesn't mean that their leaders don't have agency over the situation, and it doesn't mean that we should shrug our shoulders and say "well, they had to do it." Our understanding of our own civil war would inform our national discussions about this hypothetical. Lincoln and the north made a conscious decision to maintain the Union (PS this was a good thing), and were not simply dragged into a war by the seceded south with no ability to peace out.

vvv Sorry I think there's more to historical analysis than "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys"
To reiterate this point, just look at the collapse of the Soviet Union. Despite all the nationalist pressure and financial problems, it was far from inevitable that the Soviet Union would just fall apart. For one, the party was still in the position to run tanks over protesters. It took agency at the highest level (by Gorbachev, Yeltsin and everybody else involved) for the moral option to be chosen.

Circumstances can be pressing, but most people, not least people in power, still have a choice to make. I don't think it's a pedantic distinction -- history has a wealth of people who defied the "inevitable" decision and made things far worse than they needed to be.

As mentioned, it also enables contemporary leaders to use the same excuse: that they have no choice but to act.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should just rename every body of water so they're non-political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Netherlands, any of the Scandinavian countries, and Singapore are all pretty decent as they come.