Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't know how anyone could consider the theoretical "Sunni Iraq" to be a viable state.

They'd never lack for Vitamin D, just all of the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Soviet Commubot posted:

This is most certainly a thing, it's even a stereotypes that Yoopers are treasonous Packers fans. This has a lot to do with distance, of course, as Green Bay is a lot closer to much of the UP than Detroit is. Also, since the UP was essentially cut off from the rest of Michigan for much of the year before the Bridge was built it makes sense that they're culturally more connected with Wisconsin in some ways.

The best description of the UP that I've heard is that it's a foreign country heavily populated with Americans. Having visited more than a few times now, I think that's pretty apt.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dusseldorf posted:

There's no reason a mercator projection needs to use the conventional north-south earth axis.

Africa will devour us all! :ohdear:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lonelywurm posted:

It's clearly marked as being a Danish possession.

I am curious why they made Newfoundland independent. No way that would happen - it was either going to be a perpetual colony or a province of Canada, with no middle ground.

Might be a reference to a turn of the 20th century war plan by the US. In case of war with the UK, one of the first priorities was to occupy Newfoundland and prevent the ports there from being used to offload British soldiers and supplies into Canada. Meanwhile, the US drives on Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, etc. etc. Could be that an armistice signed in this world provided for an independent Newfoundland as a US satellite.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mister Adequate posted:

It's always been hard to say exactly who was targeting what, and at what points in the Cold War (as targeting doctrines and abilities changed with the times, of course), but it seems reasonably broadly accepted that Ireland wouldn't be a priority target by any stretch. A couple thrown at the North, most likely, but the Soviets have better things to do than drop nukes on Dublin and Cork. Even if the map includes possible targets in the Republic it's not unreasonable to posit there would be none.

Not that that would save Ireland from all of the horrible fallout wafting out of the UK, but it would be altogether in keeping with Irish history for them to survive a massive nuclear exchange unscathed only to be destroyed by the smoking remnants of English civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I vacationed there once on the Dutch side. I ended up traveling all over the island, but the only difference that I saw were that the French side had signs in French and they accepted Euros.