Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I actually have a politically loaded map hanging right behind me! (Warning: big)

I didn't bother taking it off the wall for the picture, but it gets the point across.

sum fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you know where this map is originally from, by any chance? I'd love to find a copy of it.
The cartographer is Samuel Walker, and a cursory search yielded a link to a colored version for $100. I don't know if you'd be able to buy prints of it, but it seems unlikely and probably wouldn't save you very much money vs. an original.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm surprised you'd accept Idaho. This might be a better setup.

lol that 'Ecotopia' is a strip of mostly densely settled once-forested coast while most of the actual natural areas are the "Empty Quarter". What a bunch of chauvinist horseshit.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

the JJ posted:

And that's why we have the 1st Amendment!

Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, I think, probably the 'best' colonies.
Rhode Island has the distinction of inventing the concept of "state's rights" (to commit treason when convenient) and essentially opted out of the War of 1812 in favor of selling supplies to the British, although that wasn't when it was a colony per se.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Snoggle posted:

Generic term used for soft drinks in the US.

The South will rise again and put those soda and pop drinking assholes in their place.

I lived in deep purple Texas for several years and I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever use 'coke' as a generic term for soft drink.

sum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2013

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I like how it looks like Oregon got off relatively scott-free until you realize that the few nuclear targets in the state are dams, and everyone downriver are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

I wish for the life of me I could remember where I found this, as I was just GIS'ing for some non-related Agricultural Productivity Maps.

What's the source for this? It's obviously generalized but it seems pretty arbitrary that in the US everything south of the Mason-Dixon line is the most hosed they could be while everything north wins the biggest they possibly could.