Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This thread is great, god knows I love maps.

Here is a personal favourite, a 19th century "Moral and political chart of the inhabited world, exhibiting the prevailing religion, form of government, degree of civilisation, and population of each country":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

And apparently it's Constantinople, not Istanbul:

In Greek, yes, why not? I don't think there's any nationalism attached to using the Greek name for a city in Greek; you don't need to call things the way the natives call them (otherwise you'd be calling Japan "Nippon"), and they at least have "Istanbul" under "Constantinople" in parentheses.

If there's something nationalistic about that map it's that the European portion of Turkey's coloured differently.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's some fun nationalism elsewhere in the map, too:

Macedonia the country isn't named, instead the name "Macedonia" is sitting conspicuously inside Greece.

Now that's more like it. If I wanted to make excuses I'd say that the country's name is in limbo (and inside Greece "Macedonia" is used exclusively to refer to Greek Macedonia in any modern context), but I won't. I like "New Yugoslavia" too. Interesting fact, a summer or two ago I walked outside of a toy store, and they had a European map on display. It still had the Serbia/Montenegro Yugoslavia on it.

:barf:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Let's try that again with a different map:

You're right to say Africa is a mess; Ethiopia is still stated as mostly Muslim when it most certainly isn't. If the map isn't researched enough to represent that I'm not sure how trustworthy the rest of it is.

What's the deal with the noted Hindu minority in Guyana?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

NLJP posted:

Also political map. Status of 'civilisation' around the world as reckoned by someone in 1826

I'd posted a larger version of that back in page 5. It really owns, from Russia being wilderness with a few "enlightened" cities, to Ethiopia's "corrupt christianity". :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

It's crazy the Greeks got that greedy, if they'd been satisfied at the time we might have Constantinople rather than Istanbul.

The Greek side had not received Constantinople after World War I; notice that the map has several hatched lines, these are not lands Greece received but lands claimed in the Megali Idea. Here's a map of the border history of the modern Greek state, courtesy of the Wikipedia article on the Megali Idea:

Besides by that time Greeks in Constantinople were a (sizeable) minority, I believe, so it wouldn't make much sense for Greece to have received it, other than to serve a sort of romantic nationalism. It would have meant that Greece would've had lands on Anatolia proper, and perhaps more interestingly, coastline on the Black Sea. It would have also meant that Turkey would probably still have large Greek minorities (such as the Pontic Greeks around Trebizond), and I suppose Greece would've had large Turkish minorities (I don't know much about pre-exchange Turkish minorities, I think Thessalonika had a large one, but there's still a minority in Greek Thrace, mostly around the city of Xanthe).

In any case, the Greco-Turkish War happened, the former allies of Greece supported Turkey, if I remember my history right (I do remember reading that Great Britain didn't want the Bosporus under the control of a single country so they didn't quite enjoy the idea that Greece would conquer it). The Greek military failed, and the non-insular borders of Greece settled to their current form along the Evros River. Note that the last border change was the acquisition of the Dodecanese islands which were held by Italy, at the end of World War II.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

goethe42 posted:

So, because most (if not all) of those gentile, unwashed, plague-ridden peasants defaulted and the moneylenders thus lost their money, they asked for outrageous interest rates just for fun/to make it more interesting, but lend the money they knew they wouldn't get back anyway?

"Ok, I'll lend you the twenty million bitcoins now and because I know you will never pay me back anyway, let's say you should pay me back 30 million bitcoins in a years time!"

That's a business model I don't quite understand, to be frank.

I guess the idea is that with high interest rates, it's easier to recoup your losses in the cases where the debtors do manage to pay you back.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

3peat posted:

EU economic growth for the first trimester

Austerity going real well for Portugal

Huh, weird, why isn't Greece among the countries with numbers?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

Still including South Sudan is probably the most politically loaded thing about that map.

The maps that compare the League's size with other countries include Israel.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's like the difference between Parliament and the EU legislature.

The EU legislature is called the European Parliament.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

It's always nice when someone throws out a bonafide Mercator projection just to make a map terrible for no reason. Also a whole lot of people (edit: 125 million) speak English in India.

English speakers by density:

Willing to bet they didn't care much for the projection and also that it's talking about native speakers. I'm sure there aren't 70 million people in the USA that literally cannot speak English, and I'm pretty sure that Spain, Italy, France and Germany have more than a couple million speakers of English.

What's really missing is African representation, unless local languages get primacy there; I'm not sure on what the status of the former British colonies is language-wise other than that for many/most of them English is an official language that people generally learn.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Peruser posted:

We signed almost all of those, we just can't ratify them because some people think we need the rights

Especially the right to execute children apparently

Oh and

Good job Ireland

The hell happened to the Caspian there.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I'd love to see a similar map to this, but in regards to safe drinking water from the tap. I still regret drinking from a water fountain in Trabzon once.

You cannot really generalise that to countries though, I'm from an island where we don't have drinking tap water but the mainland and some other islands do.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

fermun posted:

That's a graph from the Fluoride Action Network, an anti-fluoridation group that talks a lot about various fluoride conspiracies. I assume the data is somehow cherry picked for that.

John McCain posted:

That graph only calls countries with near-universal water fluoridation "fluoridated countries", but water fluoridation isn't the only way fluoride is delivered. For example, Germany and Switzerland put fluoride in their salt, just like we put iodine in ours.

Neither of you said anything to address whether fluoridation is beneficial to tooth health, you know.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The United States wasn't really except either. You had "nativist" movements which were all about discriminating against anyone who wasn't a good Anglo-Saxon protestant.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

How exactly did Gaelic Football get to Austria?

Edit: huh, the contrast made the light blue look like the Gaelic color. The map is tiny and kinda not good quality.

There was a (slightly) higher res version of the map posted earlier in this thread I think:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If the person that complained about France's is American that's very likely.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The best way to label dates is DD-Mon-YYYY, as in 23-Mar-2015. :colbert:

Phlegmish posted:

Does it really matter? How much power do the departments have?

Even if it's "just" regional elections, it gives the FN momentum going forward. Couple years from now we might well be looking at madame-president Le Pen.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

AlexG posted:

Une République - republics are feminine, kingdoms are masculine (un royaume), etc.

Country names are a bit of a mix of genders.

(source)

I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, looking up for instance Iran on the French wikipedia the long form name is given as "la République islamique d'Iran" (which is feminine, but is pretty obviously not plural).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but you would say "L'Iran" in day to day speech, and that one is definitely masculine. It's only feminine in the full name because republique is a feminine word.

Oh my bad, I misread the masculine L' purple for the feminine Les purple.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Not everything has to have a function.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I can understand Bavaria's population growth (conservative catholics) but what stereotype explains the growth in the German northwest?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah these don't anywhere near follow population density. Also, Osaka seems to be Japan's UFO capital.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think you should ever look at a map of Russia and think it tells you anything about anyone other than Russians, and possibly the people they deported.

Nah there's some genetic anomalies in the various peoples living in the Russian federation. I think some of the indigenous (ie not ethnically Russians) around to or directly to the east of the European Russian eastern edge are naturally blond.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'll give my kids red and green hair just to gently caress with the colourblind.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

These travel time maps remind me of this graph David Harvey used in The Condition of Postmodernity:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Concorde had to be sabotaged because otherwise the world would have shrunk so much that it would begin orbiting the moon.

The term for the concept is literally Time-Space Compression.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Riso posted:

Why is Bratislava/Pressburg labeled as Pozsony?

That's the Hungarian name, and I guess Hungarian is used for the Hungarian part of the empire in that picture? Or maybe whatever the official names were at the time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

sweek0 posted:

I think this might be politically loaded, maybe one of you can confirm.

It shows Gaza as part of Israel making it ever more politically loaded.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'm surprised by Nigeria, I thought only the northernmost bits that Boko Haram is in are outside of the government's effective control.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

They do only control a tiny bit in the Northeast. A big chunk of the rest is probably fallout from the Nigerian Civil War, since all of Biafra is in there as ungoverned. But I don't know what's going on in the middle parts.

Yes, but the Biafra war was long ago. It's not like there is still a civil war being fought in that area, or a de facto independent republic of Biafra governing it. Maybe there's some political instability but that's a long way from the area literally not being governed by the internationally recognised government.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sucrose posted:

How can a whole country's dominant political force be a regional group?

Bosniaks are just a plurality, not majority, in Bosnia. There is a large amount of Serbs and Croats in the country as well, and the country itself has a federal structure.

Here's the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina:

The Federation of Bosnia & Herzegovina is dominated by Bosniaks and Croats (who make up approx. 48% and 17% of the total population of the Republic), whereas the Republica Srpska by Serbs (who make up ~37% of the total population). Republica Srpska is essentially what you get when you have Serb nationalists being mad that the Greater Serbia project didn't pan out all that well and start a civil war over it. As for the Brčko District...

quote:

The Brčko District (pronounced [br̩̂t͡ʃkɔː]; Serbo-Croatian: Brčko distrikt/Брчко дистрикт) in northeastern Bosnia and Herzegovina is a neutral, self-governing administrative unit, under the sovereignty of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is formally part of both entities of Bosnia and Herzegovina: the Republika Srpska and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

[...]

The Brčko District was established after an arbitration process undertaken by the High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina. According to the Dayton Peace Accords however, the process could only arbitrate the disputed portion of the Inter-Entity Boundary Line (IEBL).[1] The Brčko District was formed of the entire territory of the former Brčko municipality, of which 48% (including Brčko city) was in the Republika Srpska, while 52% was in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Since the end of the Bosnian War, the European Union (EU) has maintained a diplomatic peace-keeping presence in the area.

Brčko was the only element in the Dayton Peace Agreement which was not finalized. The arbitration agreement was finalized in March 1999 resulting in a "district" as mentioned above which was to be administrated by an American Principal Deputy High Representative who is also ex officio the Brčko International Supervisor.

Wikipedia has ethnic maps of Bosnia, but they are from 1991 data and so rather outdated:

Because of this weird-rear end set-up Bosnia also does not have a singular head of state, but the Bosniaks, Serbs, and Croats each elect a president, whose combined term is 4 years, and the chairmanship rotates between them every 8 months...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I only know so much, and I'm no expert so I may well have gotten things wrong. Feel free to correct me or give more details.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Draw a world map from your memory! Try not to correct too much once you have drawn something.

Getting relative sizes right is a bitch and a half.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I don't quite understand what are you saying, but I'll guess that green map is circumcision.

Wouldn't the US be on one extreme end of the scale then?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Persons killed by the state per capita?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Also a nice example of terrible map making. Who thought 1-9 and 50-99 should have nearly the same colour?

I'm decently certain the legend there has 1-9 and 10-49 reversed, unless there's a weird lower population density ring around Ridyah.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Armenian genocide.

Pretty sure Greece recognises the Amernian genocide. The eastern bloc countries and the USA makes me think the Holodomor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Recognising the Holodomor as a genocide strikes me as one of those things that a state would do symbolically as an anti-Russia statement than anything else.