Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Cross-posted from the EU4 thread

Is this eRepublick? I remember asturias was always the last terroritory to be conqured

fake edit:
is probably eu2 or ck2

edit:

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Wen I am asked, I told everyone that I am from the Internet.

Exacly where I am in the internet?
My family is in facebook. I have friends in yahoo, but they are migrating to google services.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Map of the second round of French elections by commune. I like how you can clearly see the border between Ille-et-Vilaine and Mayenne. Also I'm not sure what's going around in that LR area between Loudéac and Lamballe.

I like the south coast (Norbon, Montpellier). Dark Blue in the coast just next to Dark Red.

I guest the 1% have their 3th Château there and push politics to the right. But I know 0.00 % about france, so maybe is something else entirely.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

kalstrams posted:

For a moment I thought that was Belgium.

Same here. For a moment I imagined some forest on the southeast corner of Belgium full of fans of paintball fake battles. I trough it was weird at first. Then I remembered that novel, Stand on Zanzibar, african names have a sound to it, that would be different than belgian ones, except if the belgians where the ones to choose the names of the african towns. That, maybe.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 15, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I suggest to draw a new world map.

One where the "underwater" parts of the world are these with a density of poblation beyond 65h/square mile and the borders are cultural borders, and the height is not the mountain height, but the density of poblation.

Anyone have a map like that, or know a tool to draw it?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

my dad posted:

Trans-Allegheny would probably help you with that.

Thats a location in Fallout 4?

Heres my map.

Underwater areas in this map are low population. High density areas are very dark. I have painted some crappy colour areas trying to sign culture and I have done a poor job at it.

Fun facts about this map:
- Teruel don't exist in it
- Kansas is has a nice beach
- Australia mostly don't exist.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Torrannor posted:

That's a very cool map, but are you sure your figures for Saudi Arabia are right?

I did the map in a crappy and quick say, and that may be affecting the result.

I does look like this desert in particular is highly populated. Maybe the area of Medina has a huge concentration of population.

Here is the BW version before I cropped the lowpop area.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Heres another of USA:

src:http://www.ancientrails.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/US_Population.png

The area on the left of Kansas is awesome, because if you find a chipmunk, odds are this creature have never ever see a human before, and will look at you with curiosity.

Is like, the colonization of the usa west never really finished. But people got tired of it, and people said "gently caress It, I am going to fly to the coast and create a city there. Try to +1 that, bro". Then somebody created Hawai "Try to +1 this bro". And somebody took Guam from the Spanish, "Try to +1 this bro". You can't +1 this dude without founding a USA city in japan. You can do that with enough panache if you convinced the japanese that it was their idea.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's the cutoff to qualify for this map? Hypothetically, any road that connects to a road that connects to a road ..... that connects to a road on the map would also lead to rome.

#NotAllRoads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mXDx8WPT7o

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Theres not much to it, other than planned economy is a crappy way to deal with stuff, and if you screw with food, people die.

Maybe the controversial point is that if it was only negligence or evil intention.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

wow, this is a nice map.

who would have trough we could track countries development by their consummation of meat delta :D

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a hell of a euphemism.

you are thinking about this:

China needs to share his secrets. Specially with Irak, Egypt and Turkey "trigger happy" problem.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 16, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

OddObserver posted:

If you think deaths in Holodomor were a "side effect" of policies yoybnust be pretty ignorant of it. Direct mass confiscations of food from areas with famine are hardly 50 steps removed from millions of people dying.

The only contention is really whether Ukrainians were targeted as a people or were "merely" hit harder because they had more small family farmers, with the target being that class rather than than an ethnic group.

You are right but...

The longer a command line, the more distributed is the "blame".

Somebody in the top say "I want farmers to move to a cooperative system, make it so!".
People in the middle turn that into "Make so this town farmers destroy their granary and put all the seeds in the same granary"
Then on the bottom somebody ask some tugs "Go and destroy this town granaries".

How censorship works in china?
Nobody really ban anything. These on the top sometimes show discomfort about things.
These in the middle try to guest work what these on the top dislike.
These on the bottom (authors) try to predict what the censors are going to dislike and self-censor themselves to avoid having to write something, then having to remove it and write something else.

On the real world negligence and evilness are hard to tell from each other because how organizations work is already pretty stupid to begin first.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 17, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It looks like something that'd be on a fantasy map.

I bet the Princess Pinya Ko Rāda is from one of these places..

http://gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there.wikia.com/wiki/Pina_Co_Lada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi%C3%B1a_colada

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Going to movies in canada must be confusing, fun, arousing and a mess.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Another awesome map.

I like how in some parts the state borders regions are red. Whats the cause of that?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It looks to me like number of wine bottles people drink in a marriage party. In fun places they drink more than 2 bottles / person. Since some religions are against drinking this would link it to religion somehow.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

CherryCola posted:

I have family in Ojai and Bakersfield and like none of them have ever left California and have no interest in doing so. I mean, why would you ever want to go somewhere other than the haven which is Bakersfield?

Oh, I have heard of Bakersfield

It seems a fun place, they found and lost a whole building.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 31, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In Spain "Prospero año nuevo" is the formal form that nobody use, except maybe our King. We say "Feliz año nuevo".

We celebrate the new year by eating 12 grapes. If anyone want to know how a whole country of retarded people work, should pay us a visit.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Correlates negativelly with population density (but not strongly).
Easy to bias by a small population, so has to be some niche thing.
Correlates positivelly with poverty areas (but not strongly).
Is something you do in Las Vegas.
"Age adjusted annual rate per 100", goes from 0 to 1117.

*head scratch* no idea

Credit Score?

It looks like credit score because "age adjusted" make it into a personal stat. Then is health or finance stat. If you have more than 100% something health related, you usually die, so it can be finnacial, where is normal for somebody to have a debt many times his annual salary and that type of poo poo.

*googles credit score*

I have found this image, that is similar.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 4, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I'm not buying the rank of Oregon after all the videos where barely a inch of snow turns Portland into a giant pit of death.

I know "Cocaine rain" disrupt traffic in a severe ways in places that are not very accustomed to it. Part of it is not having the equipment to survive to it, like wheel chains. And another part is lack of training driving over a surface that is actively trying to kill you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rate of umbrella vs parasol. States that buy many parasol think there is going to be a nice silver-line after the storm, the states with much more umbrella, think there is going to rain after the storm.

edit:
oopps.. too late, and wrong.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is kind of cool. I mean, a lot of countries have this problem, that theres a solution is great.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/21/france-population-europe-fertility-rate posted:

The picture is very different in Scandinavia and France. “In these countries the family norm is much more flexible, with late marriages, reconstituted families, single parents, much more frequent births outside marriage and divorces than further south,” Toulemon adds. “People are far less concerned about the outlook for the family [as an institution].” The positive impact of this open-ended approach to families on fertility is borne out by the statistics, at more than 1.8 children per woman in Sweden, Norway, Finland and France.

I don't see the countries with a negative grown abandoning conservative views. Also, the older a population, the more prone to conservative views, so is like a negative destructive feedback loop these countries are in.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 11, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

HookShot posted:

Also a healthy history of Catholicism doesn't hurt.

The point of the article is that it hurts. Conservative religious views = Womens stay at home. Womens stay at home if they have childrens => Womens that don't want to lose his job don't have chidrens.

Catholicism => Less childrens.

If you give womens the exclusive options of having childrens OR work. Many will choose work. But if you allow people to work AND have childrens, you see more people having childrens. What you see here is how less freedom remove the ability for some people to have childrens, people that want to have childrens can't have them.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lycus posted:

But if we colonize outer space, we should go right back to burning coal. Space coal.

No really. In space you can sail using the solar wind, so you don't need engines.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Count Roland posted:

This makes sense. Cities are cities everywhere. Nodes on a trade network with a certain population density.

Where I live (north Spain) a town is a small ville with maybe less than 1000 persons, sometimes 3 houses on the curve a mountain road.
But on the south a town can be 40K or 80K persons easily.

So if somebody say "I come from a town" it could be 3 houses with 2 persons, or a ville with 80.000 persons.

Sim City 5 lied to me.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Irony Rule is that if your country / city / state is next to a huge river, you can't drink from it. So this map is probably bottled water related.

* googles a bit *

All I can find is this, that seems related in some way.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

For comparison:

Corporal punishment in public schools is banned in blue states, but legal in red states.

Guys, Is something in the water.

Corporal punishment is a very polarised topic. I am pro-punisement, but that seems that put me with the poor and uneducated. I am wrong? probably.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

davebo posted:

Different methods work for different people, so I'm not for banning the behavioral correction of people with fear and pain across the board, but are you in favor of some teacher you may not have even met yet hitting your (on other people's) kid with a stick without even hearing everyone's story first?

huu.. yes?

What I am in favor is hitting a kid as a last resort option, never the first. I would be preferable if adults could get kids to behave with voice and attitude alone, but since thats hard or expensive the next thing should do. Yes, good teachers should not need to go there, but you can't always have the best teachers; and sometimes a kid may need it.

I guest I am lucky I don't have kids, so all these questions are purely theorical for me.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

More like lack of sexual education. For whatever reason, the plan of religious people for teens, is to maintain them ignorant about sex, praying that they don't independently discover that it exist.

Religion make people believe and do truly stupid things.

The reality is that even teenagers that think sex is a sin, still practice it, but if they don't have a strong sex education, the do it without protection. So all that do religion for people, is to remove protection from STD's.

No really. Religious people don't want to talk with their kids about sex, and they don't want other people to talk with their kids about sex. Their plan is maybe ignorance will work.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Vogons can only extradite a territory when it has exactly or similar to square shape. If the territory have a square shape, they can place 4 ships in orbit, and teleport the territory to other planet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If the book "War with the Newts" has taught me something, sea will reclaim that land one way or another soon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mikl posted:

Guess the map!

It must be some atmospheric/temperature poo poo over a long period of time.

Grown on sales of umbrellas for the next 400 years?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

King Hong Kong posted:

I have some skepticism about the accuracy of that map, particularly on the coasts. Compare:

I think the world map one has less resolution or is averaged in some way.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nice, but most items are offset down a littel. Like the Eiffel tower starts in the very center of france. I get the russia joke, but would have been more interesting to show cool russian stuff that a tourist may want to see there.

Spain checklist
- Salvador Miro paintings, La Sagrada Family, El Toro de Osborne (the bull of osborne), Don Quixote, folk music, the palace of la Alhambra, the pilgrimage of santiago apostol, picaso paintings, some motherfucking ugly building, el oso y el madroño (symbol of the capitol).

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 26, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

cross-post:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

"perception" of corruption often doesn't match reality, just naivety. Canadians for instance are naive as gently caress about how brutally corrupt their society is at the top government/corporate levels.

And because the opposite is true. In places with high corruption, the corruption is not seen as corruption, just "how things work".

There are poo poo that is not consider corruption, but maybe it should. Japan tolerance for the yakuza, India tolerance for the caste system.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Torrannor posted:

While India's caste system is definitely horrible, I'm not sure why it should be considered corruption.

I am not sure, either. Thats my point. There are things that we think are corruption, but on a corrupt country are not consider corruption. And there are things that we don't normally consider corruption (like the caste system, or the USA political lobby system), that probably are corruption.

About the caste system. It could be seen has a cause of systemwide corruption. A obvious cause of nepotism, you choose this guy has boss of a departament not because is the best worker, but because is of the caste X. It seems the caste system cause police to ignore rape / violence against some lower castes, thats imho is a type of corruption: wen police ignore some crimes, and is active on the same crimes based on who suffer them.

So yes, basically, I think probably it should be seen has corruption. But Is my opinion, and probably not a popular one.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 29, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Amazing. This explain many things :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

How the hell do you guys figure this stuff out so fast?

I am bad at this game, I have yet to figure one, but I could how to cheat at it.

When I look at one of the maps posted here, I ask myself a few questions:

- Do this correlate with poverty?*
- Do this correlate with education?*
- Do this correlate with population?*
- Do this ignore borders?
- Do this ignore deserts?

If is a USA map, the south states are poor, poorly educated and very religious. If the west coast and california is more represented, it probably correlate with population.

With a world map, you can ask more questions:
- Do this correlate negatively with radical islamic countries?
- Do this correlate with wealth?

Is basically a game of "Guess Who?" where instead of asking the "do it have blond hair?" , you ask the questions above

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guess_Who%3F

*how these tree variables are highly dependant may be one of the cause why I am so bad at this game. Except maybe cuba or some east european country, poverty=bad education, so asking both is wasting your time. I play poorly.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 4, 2016