Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

I like how the Irish Sea is just always an inverse of the waters surrounding the British Isles

New Zealand is fun to watch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lotta people having disappointing trips to Norway I guess

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrsxRJdwfM0

Personally I've always felt like if Europe is its own continent then India deserves to be too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Disappointingly misses Bishy Barnabee, which derives from The Bishop That Burneth and is the most badass name for those beetles.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Apparently the next general election in the UK will only happen in 2025? It'll be difficult to hold on to such an advantage for so long.

An election has to happen at most five years after the last one, but if the sitting parliament chooses to or it loses a vote of no confidence it can happen earlier.

Admittedly, neither of those are likely any time soon - Truss and her gang won't willingly leave until their golden parachutes are good and ready, and you'd need a significant amount of the tories to join a NC vote when it would be very likely to lose them their seats.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Essex has been a popular place to move for ex-Londoners who thought the city had become too diverse, so you're probably not going to see the Tory grip fall there even if their leader was the actual lettuce.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

In my other browser tab I have this open. Same idea, but for a video game:

I am 90% sure the Solar System map is for the same game, just with the Real Solar System mod.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

Probably to differentiate it from Gaelic.

Same reason as the USA, Canada, and Australia with their different football codes, really.

Yeah, "soccer" is short for "association football", so it's useful if you need to avoid confusing it with a local game called football. Which is why mostly only the english-speaking countries use it, everyone else will be using their native language for their own sports.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not possible to accurately project a sphere into 2D, so map projections come down to making compromises between preserving the shape of places, preserving their relative size, and making a map that fits on a rectangle.

The specific focus on Mercator always interested me, since it's not something I ever saw growing up until I started seeing arguments on the internet about it. I assume it's a popular one in the US.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

lol @ the progressive ideology of mapping the points on an oblate sphere to a two dimensional manifold even though there’s no way of doing so without singularities and then using that “map” to “navigate” the surface of this sphere like a loving idiot

They have taken us for absolute fools

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus, Chuck looks exactly like Liz with all the regalia on, initially thought it was her

Believe it or not they're actually quite closely related

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yunacel/status/1675894975936995329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011