Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its and not or. both states have to agree to do it and congress then has to sign off on it. if that happens its fine, Kentucky, Maine were formed in this way and Ohio gained toledo from michigan through a compact. West Virginia was formed without Virginia's consent when Virginia was in open rebellion and there's fringe legal theories that the state of west virginia is illegal which is probably legally correct but will never be recognized mainly because it would throw enormous amounts of american history and the legal system into chaos if it gets recognized. if a law got passed only because west virginian senators/representatives supported it is that law now invalidated? A presidential election with a margin dependent on West Virginia's votes get over-turned? etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure Justice Barrett legit believes West Virginia is an illegal state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Whats with the Mountain West states have a high proportion of transplants? Preppers who move there to wait out the apocalypse?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

An object in Pennsylvania tends to stay in Pennsylvania

Born in PA and moved to Texas. Yay?

Grand Fromage posted:

I worked in Vegas for six months and met a grand total of one person who was from Nevada.

Nevada gets a lot of transplants because of Vegas, sure, but Montana and Idaho having a lot of non-natives strikes me as odd

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

SlothfulCobra posted:

All I know is that it has the world's largest conveyor belt, stretching 60 miles from a mine to the coast, carrying phosphate. 70% of the world's phosphate comes out of Morocco.

The phosphate kinda spills off along the way, blown by the wind, so you can see the line the conveyor built made on the landscape.

That's a whole lotta phosphate. I want to know who had the idea to build a ginormous conveyer belt because that is :krad:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

mandatory lesbian posted:

Weird that toledo has athletes and not new york city tbh

University of Toledo is a MAC school with long history of college sports

New York City most famous college is uh, Rutgers?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I expected Britain to have a lot more castles

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The stats I can find put women at 22-25% of active users. It's highly country-dependent though, and the numbers align with your perception of the local Tinder scene: Europe is apparently close to 50/50, while a India does its part to skew things male.

Of course that skew could be exacerbated by there also being a skew in how the two groups approach the platform. Like if men generally went for women who were younger or even significantly younger than themselves, resulting in say 75% of male users targeting 25% of female users, instantly tripling the ratio the majority of men on the app care about. That's not taking into account anyone using Tinder for business, which also sounds like a potentially decent chunk of (supposedly) female users?

What kind of business uses Tinder? Besides sex work, I guess

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Count Roland posted:

In Russia I think it's mostly opposition politicians getting imprisoned or killed, not issuing licences or permits to opposing parties and unfriendly NGOs, repression of independent media and traditional ballot stuffing where needed.

Putin, it should be said, is genuinely popular and in the past he's won legitimate elections. Just less legitimate with time, especially as he changes the constitution to allow for more time in office.

What happens to Russia if Putin has a stroke or something

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kids suck, money or not

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Growing up, all my friends had multiple siblings and I was the wierdo only child

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Big Mac Index, an important economic measure.

But those are 2022 numbers. Things are in flux. The US dollar is moving around, burger prices are shifting. There was one big mac [combo] spotted at $18 recently, but the index is about burger prices not combo prices, and if you zoom and enhance, just the burger was $8.29. Franchise owners can set their own prices, so I guess this one guy just felt he had a loaded captive customer base.
https://twitter.com/sam_learner/status/1681367351143301129
https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index
https://nypost.com/2023/07/19/mcdonalds-branch-slammed-for-charging-18-for-a-big-mac-meal/
A more up to date and granular map.

https://pantryandlarder.com/mccheapest

People wanting to classify Europe as not a continent have no useful purpose for the word continent.

The one map illustrates the US pop density once you get halfway through Texas

I also enjoy the big white hole in what I think is in West Virginia

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The US is only 2% Jewish?

Huh. Thought it would be at least 5

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

WinCo or bust

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Platystemon posted:

Y’all are sleeping on jaguars.

Jags could gently caress your poo poo up.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are mostly harmless tho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Baseball is an extremely regional sport in terms of popularity tbh. Even aside from the fact that its popularity is declining. It’s very northeastern + St. Louis and Chicago in terms of where it’s popular. Also California because of all the northeasterners who moved there. There aren’t many teams in the south or west because it’s just not popular in those regions

Maybe in the pros, but take a look where all the college champs are

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Guavanaut posted:

And German failures in diplomacy.

German would probably be the default language of chemistry and electrical engineering if if weren't for that period where a lot of international goodwill was burned, most of the 1880s-1920s stuff is compiled in that language.

My PhD advisor told me of a time back in his day where all chemistry students had to learn German as another language

Not so much anymore, but it wasn't that long ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Wasnt French the dominant international language until 1900 or so

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Why the gently caress are foot and root pronounced differently

Adbot