Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

i poo poo trains posted:

I actually have a politically loaded map hanging right behind me! (Warning: big)

I didn't bother taking it off the wall for the picture, but it gets the point across.

I don't get it :saddowns:

Crowsbeak posted:

Woodrow Wilson's wonderful idea for a Armenian state. I'm sure the Kurds and Turks in that planned nation would have been fine.

Before World War I and the Armenian Genocide, Armenians were the majority ethnicity in those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

EvanSchenck posted:

The entire map is a staggeringly dumb and unworkable fantasy and almost every part of it exposes the people behind it to ridicule. The "Free Kurdistan" section is the weirdest. Looking at the area you were just talking about, the Republic of Azerbaijan will get the presently Iranian provinces of Ardebil and Gilan. Ardebil is populated by Azeris, but Gilan is not, but whatever we don't like the Iranians let's take more of their poo poo.

Excuse me but pretty borders are by far the most important part of redrawing the map, gently caress every other consideration!!! (Hardcore Paradox games player here, sorry)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Varkk posted:

Fantasy political maps

The mystical kingdom of Idaho?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dusseldorf posted:

There's no reason a mercator projection needs to use the conventional north-south earth axis.

Jesus Africa, you really let yourself go

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Crameltonian posted:

To elaborate it was founded by Catholic proprietors and at first was pretty tolerant for its time, even if Catholics were generally preferred for positions of power. Then Puritans became the majority and overthrew the government, establishing a new one which outlawed Catholicism.

Lord Baltimore was a huge proponent of the "refuge for English Catholics" idea, hence the city of Baltimore.

the JJ posted:

And that's why we have the 1st Amendment!

Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, I think, probably the 'best' colonies.

The last slave wasn't free in Pennsylvania until 1847, thanks to the way they decided to do abolition. Your children would be free, but you'd remain a slave for life.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

say no to scurvy posted:

This suggests that the last slave died rather than gained freedom.

also: Wikipedia tells me that their children were indentured servants until 28.

Yeah,I used the wrong word. Apparently that system became the model for other northern colonies/states.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SombreroAgnew posted:

Aaaaaabsaroka! No seriously wind sweeping down the plains is the only thing we got.

Population: 351,000

Clearly a good idea

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

LP97S posted:

Well it time to post the map that ends the thread.

I don't get it. Why would this end the thread?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wait is Detroit's transit system literally called the "People Mover"?

It's technically a class of metro systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

NewtGoongrich posted:

Also, apparently the Soviet Union broke up pre-1980?

Wellllllll, technically the modern countries that once made up the Soviet Union were all republics inside it, so there was a Russia SFSR, Ukranian SFSR, Estonian SFSR. Of course its more likely that map is just lazy

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

tractor fanatic posted:

That map is basically what everyone in D&D wants with regard to gerrymandering: a computer generated map equalizing population.

That's congressional districts though, not states.

Davincie posted:

Interestingly, modern research from all the massive amounts of Ex-USSR administrative centres is still being searched through by historians and recently a lot of proof has come out that in quite a lot of negotiations the minor countries had more power then the USSR and regularly had the upper hand, even forcing the Russian premier to travel around regularly to listen to their demands.

Are you talking about the relations between the Russia SFSR and the other SFSRs, or between the USSR and other members of the Warsaw Pact?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 15, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cygni posted:

With the fact that the north pole will be ice-free by the ~2040s, this might as well be titled Windfall.gif for countries like Denmark.

Assuming all that melted ice hadn't caused Denmark to disappear, although I guess they can always relocate to temperate Greenland.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

All Of The Dicks posted:

The disunity of the British Isles vexes me. Tiny islands should not have separate nations in them.

You're going to hate this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divided_islands

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DarkCrawler posted:

Or you know, just look at a ship when it comes from the horizon.

It takes extra retardness to think that the world is flat when even in old times every lice-ridden clap-having scurvy-addled sailor could tell you that it's round.

Have you looked at the Stuff You Just Figured Out thread in PYF? People don't necessarily connect two and two all the time.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

GreenCard78 posted:

It's interesting you bring up Eritrea and Ethiopia because Eritrea only separated from Ethiopia about twenty years ago and Ethiopia remained pretty much free during he scramble for Africa. Yes, the Italians tried but they failed. When talking about Europeans in Africa, Ethiopia is pretty unique.

Actually, the Italians tried again and succeeded in invading Ethiopia in the 1930s. They only ruled for about 10 years or so, though

GreenCard78 posted:

When I get home, I'll try to look through an old book for river disputes. The point wasn't just rivers, it's bad borders in general with a focus on Europeans drawing them to their desire without consideration to the locals.

The "new" borders were often the old borders between the colonies of the European powers and the internal borders between administrative divisions ie they were too lazy to even draw new borders

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

semicolonsrock posted:

I know this is from the first page but I learned something in class and want to share, dammit. Social darwinism was a common ideology at the time, which essentially held that the rules of evolution applied to inter-state relations, not just biology.

That and in everyday life, so according to the ideology the upper and middle classes deserved to be where they were because they were "fitter" than the "weak" poor.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a fascinating piece of trivia. Do you have any sources? I'd love to read up more, such as numbers.

You realize it was a joke right? Unless you're joking too, and I'm the one who's the idiot.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's also a gigantic dystopian factory city, which isn't terribly far from the truth in some wards, though I just checked out my window and was unable to locate bladerunner tower.

We need to build that tower, like now

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ardennes posted:

The Willis tower's brutalism isn't good enough for you. :(

What the gently caress :getout:

No really :getout:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dusseldorf posted:

The Sears Tower is International Style.

Imagine a skyscraper made out of beige/tan concrete.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Soviet Commubot posted:

Another French map, percentage of votes for and against the European constitution treaty in 2005. Bluer means more votes for, redder means more votes against.

The what now? Why did France hate it?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Peanut President posted:

First Fleet was shut down in '73. Third took it's place.

edit: The Second is gone as of 2011. That map is a bit outdated.

But but shouldn't the Third Fleet be renamed to the First? Gah my OCD

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bishop Rodan posted:

Now to give this post content, here's a map:

I just love how South Korea ends up bordering North Korea, again

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

lonelywurm posted:

Apparently Maine has the worst average SAT scores of all the states (not including DC) in 2011, but the stats are skewed heavily by the fact Maine requires students to sit the SATs and many other states don't seem to bother. 93% of students in Maine took the SATs, while only 5% did in Illinois, the top state (in fact, of all the top 20 scoring states, not one has a participation rate higher than 20%).

The actual 2011 data's here for anyone interested: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AqduBXrlJrJxdGpLZWlxN2t0WW5zcjRua1laal9wX0E&output=html

In Illinois you're required to take the ACT , another standardized test.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Rejected Fate posted:

What's wrong with it? The projection, I mean. I don't know much about cartography.

There were some good effort posts about it earlier in the thread, but basically the Gall-Peters projection is supposed to more accurately represent the relative size of the areas of the world compared to the common Mercator projection, which distorts the sizes of the lands near the poles (Greenland is wrongly shown as being bigger than South America, for example). The problem being that the Gall-Peters has a ton of distortion of its own, just in different places and in different ways. The only way to have no distortion is to use a globe.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DrProsek posted:

Also it kinda goes without saying that making "$_RELIGION land" a nation is just an awful idea for a country larger than one city. I'm sure there will be no problems for nonSunnis living in Sunnistan.

Sunni-semi-shite-stan?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DarkCrawler posted:

Finland loves it more then Scandinavia. :smug:

Related, here's a politically loaded map:

A goal of many Paradox campaigns (for me).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Plutonis posted:

Man you don't want me to post the clusterfucky alt history map that is going on my EUIV game right now. (North Africa and America occupied by Aztecs, Europe by the resurgent romans and South Africa, America and Oceania by the my super Inca)

Do the Aztecs/other Native Americans actually have a chance in succeeding like that in EUIV, or was it just you being the Inca?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It wouldn't be too hard to get the EUIV New World AI perform a lot better in-game, but it wouldn't make awesome pan-American native empires without human intervention. Indigenous American countries are represented in the eastern US, the Valley of Mexico region, and the Andes, but they suffer a number of problems – bad geopolitical position at game start, lousy religious and government bonuses, and especially a "tech group" that makes all kinds of advancement very difficult. The developers' line is that history couldn't have gone that differently by 1444. However, the massive collapse of American societies from imported disease is largely ignored, weird.

I knew about the penalties - longtime Paradox player here - but I was wondering if they'd changed that for EUIV. Oh well :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kalos posted:

Are there areas if Ireland where Irish is the dominant language spoken, or is teaching Irish more of a cultural/heritage preservation effort? I've always been taught that Irish (and to a lesser extent, Celtic languages in general) are in a real danger of dying out.

Apparently these areas:

Called Gaeltacht

univbee posted:

Gerrymandering.jpg

Overlaid on racial dot map

Burn the government to the ground, replace it with benevolent computers

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 13, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ofaloaf posted:

I was looking for maps of duchies and counties in the Ancien Régime when I came across this set of maps of France:

Am I misreading the lower-left map or was the price of salt in Brittany absurdly cheap compared to Paris? Jesus, the old kingdom of France had a clusterfuck of laws.

Basically, it looks salt in the pink zone ("Region of the great salt tax") was hideously expensive compared to everywhere else. Internal trade in France before the late 1600s was completely hosed, with a huge number of different tariffs and taxes and laws that varied from province to duchy to county to town, though that wasn't an uncommon situation in Europe. Establishing internal free trade zones was quite a big deal, if I remember correctly.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I had no idea whatsoever some countries didn't use AM/PM.

tractor fanatic posted:

People often forget how far south the US is compared to Europe. New York City is south of Rome, and Miami is well south of Cairo. It's all Canada's fault because their stupid cold air makes the US way colder than it should be.

I think you mean "awesome cold air". gently caress temperatures above 55.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It'd be pretty presumptuous for a Western scholar to try and solve such a complex conflict with a map change!

The whole map is presumptuous to begin with yet for some reason Israel and Palestine's borders are never changed in these types of "redraw the Middle East" maps.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I want to mention here that this vaguely center-left grab-bag coalition has done more to harm anyone not rich since they got into power than the previous rightwing coalition. Our prime minister is basically just using her job as a stepping stone to get a nice spot in the IMF.

E: Which is to say, or next government will probably look pretty much like the Norwegian one.

What happened man? Scandinavia used to be cool :smith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zohar posted:

I can't find the article I was thinking of originally, which matched up Fidesz government policies to each promise in the Jobbik manifesto, but Der Spiegel gives a decent summary here as well: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ruling-hungarian-fidesz-party-adopts-policies-of-far-right-jobbik-party-a-880590.html

On top of that the government has also been heavily promoting their ideology through school curricula and waging a kind of culture war against left-wing artists and intellectuals.

Holy poo poo, that makes Greece look like a bastion of the left-wing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's cool seeing someone discovering that western history is mostly lies and bullshit that differs very little from propaganda. Soon the denial phase will pass.

Just western history of course, no other civilizations have ever lied in their views of history :rolleyes:

Peanut President posted:

maps Maps MAPS MAPS :siren: MAAAAAAPS :siren:

West Virginia: The Iraq of the US

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

A map of which countries the United States has formal diplomatic relations with. Green means they do, red they don't, and yellow is disputed/unrecognized countries.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lawman 0 posted:

Whats up with bhutan are we afraid of the 'mighty dragon' or something or I guess we cant actually be assed to establish an embassy there? :v:

We're afraid of being contaminated by those freaks with their focus on "Gross National Happiness" or whatever. How can you be happy without a relentless focus on gaining money?

I think the real reason is we just don't care enough.

This map is the same thing, but with Bhutan instead. (Blue means that they don't have individual relations but interact with thouse countries through the EU)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

PittTheElder posted:

I really wish they had extended the 49 only as far as the Columbia. I realize it would have made no sense at the time (drat swarming Yanks), but god drat that's some nice territory I wish was part of my country. Where the Canadian irredentists at?

Oh gawd my left ear.

Yeah well I think we should kept that slice of Vancouver Island :colbert:

Nah, just kidding, we should have stuck with 54-40 :911:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 2, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I see you found a map of Greater Vatican City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kainser posted:

I live in Skĺne and this is really not a thing unless you with 'some support' mean an incredibly small amount of people. I guess autonomy is a thing but that's still a very minor issue currently.

Anyway, alternate history greater Sweden:

I like the subdivisions.

If only :sweden:

Poizen Jam posted:

I tried to look up claims of Canadian irredentism, but the only major dispute seems to be internal between provinces. Silly Quebec thinks it owns Labrador :3:.

The Quebec-Labrador border is an abomination to ocd people