Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

What the gently caress is this? Just random redrawing of borders for...what purpose? The mere expression of American power? Because it looks cooler?

Because I'm sure Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iran, and Pakistan would be real happy about losing territory for no reason whatsoever.

I presume it's someone (most likely American) wanting to do for the Middle East what Woodrow Wilson wanted to do for Europe after 1918.

Because ethnic nationalism has been such a striking success over here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Dusseldorf posted:

Did any European cities (or countries) have the same sort of housing discrimination/white flight cycle that caused the hyper-seggregation of the big northern cities in the US?

So far as the UK is concerned, yes, roughly speaking - just look at that map of the ethnic concentrations in London. I don't think the discriminatory practices were as blatant, at any rate after anti-discrimination legislation came in, in the 70s, but white people moving out of inner city areas once they start being heavily populated by whatever ethnic minority is every bit as common.

My mother grew up in part of Bradford that would have been pretty much totally white at the time, and fairly middle class. It's now mostly populated by people of Pakistani or Indian origin, and it's become a stereotypical inner city area with the usual problems.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

ekuNNN posted:

It needs a "None" category :colbert:

"The percentage of atheist, agnostic, nonreligious, irreligious population around the world. The data is based on 2006 total population."

I have my doubts about that one. If you look at the UK it seems as if it's towards the higher end of the scale. The 2011 census came up with about 25% of the population having no religion. So either the mapmaker's figures are off or the map isn't easy to interpret (multiple colours would be much clearer than shades of the same colour).

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Red_Mage posted:

List of Reasons to annex Iceland pre-2008:

1. Banks

Also, to prevent it being taken over by Germany during World War II, since it was a Danish possession at the time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland.

Yes, the British did once actually invade Iceland, although it sounds like about the lamest invasion of anywhere by anyone. And the Americans then took over the occupation from 1941 to the end of the war.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

ecureuilmatrix posted:

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

The Royal Navy attacked Algeria more than once between the late 17th century and the early 19th century, when Algiers was the headquarters of the Barbary pirates. Basically, everyone with a fleet sent it to bombard Algiers at some point, including the USA - that's the war the line about "the shores of Tripoli" in the US Marine Corps song comes from.

I think Angola might come from the East African campaign in the First World War, because the German forces used to nip over the border into Portuguese territory to hide out. Ecuador is probably privateers raiding at some point during the days of the Spanish Empire.

I will admit to having no loving idea when the British invaded Armenia, Laos or Liberia.

E: We were indeed militarily involved in Oman in 1958-9 and again in the 1970s, when the Omani government was fighting Marxist rebels. It's stretching a point to call it invasion when you're there by the invitation of the existing government, though.

General Panic fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 23, 2013

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Cygni posted:

North Korea isn't exactly chill with Canada either, Canada was part of the Korean war and is/was a signatory on the armistice. According to wikipedia, they sent 26,791 troops and 1,588 were lost.

By the same logic, they presumably aren't too happy with the British, Australians or New Zealanders either.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Riso posted:

Based on the most recent US labour report, you can see the US has practically a split labour market: Younger and older than 55.

The lesson is to be well established in your job already.

Is that actually comparing like with like though? Between 16 and 55 is going to be the bulk of the time anyone spends in employment, assuming most people will have retired by 65 or so. There won't be as many people over 55 still looking for work.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Lord Hydronium posted:

African colonialism, 1950 style. Kind of amazing to me how much was still colonial as late as then.

Most decolonisation in Africa took place precisely between about 1950 and 1970. I don't think the position in 1950 was much different from what it was in 1900, except for the elimination of Germany and Italy as colonial powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

For what it's worth, "Mischief Night" still exists in parts of northern England, but it's 4 November, not 30 October - the night before Guy Fawkes' Night/Bonfire Night.