Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

"The Polynesians are generally Barbarous & Pagan" :allears: That map is really great.

Here's one that requires a bit of translation:

The graphic shows the composition of bi-national marriages, split up by genders and German states. The upper three are for German women marrying foreign men, the lower three for German men marrying foreign women. The maps are sorted by rank: the left-most shows the most common arrangement, the middle one the second most common and the right-most the third most common arrangement. The little flags underneath each map show ranking for all of Germany.

I'm trying really hard not to make a joke about catalog brides right now. This graphic is by the Zeit newspaper, and you can find more here. Most of them are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bensa posted:

Seems to me to be quite obvious that the nationalities and genders are tied to the types of job historically on offer. Turkish immigrant labourers were mostly male, similar story with Italians (same as in Switzerland), both groups being brought over to do mostly manual labour. The US military has had a large presence in Germany, again mostly male. Female immigrant labourers were brought for service jobs, especially in nursing, where language skills would be required. This would obviously favour those from ex-Soviet states where German was a favoured second language and with a solid education system.

Yeah, all good points. All that, plus simply neighboring countries like Austria for Bavaria, Poland for Brandenburg and the Netherlands for Lower Saxony / NRW. The non-joke about catalog brides was mostly aimed at the presence of Thailand in the lower right map. But then again, the sample size for those two states is really small to begin with.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Here's a small selection of sort of kind of ethnic maps for Berlin:

Turkish nationals

Polish nationals

Nationals of Arab states, including Palestine

Combined total of a) foreign nationals, b) Germans born abroad, c) Germans under 18 years of age born in Germany with at least one parent who was born abroad

Skin color/race isn't recorded, though, so this is probably as close as you're going to get to those dot maps for American cities.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That really is a terrible map. Just to add a little more to the list of mistakes, Lesotho is 90% Christian and has 300 to 2000 Muslims. 2000 people would be 0.05% of the population. And yet it's labeled as "Tribal, Christian and Muslim" (loving the ordering of these, by the way). I have no doubt this is the case for most of the purple areas in Africa.

Meanwhile, Egypt and Syria both have Christian minorities of about 10%, both of which have been there forever, and both of which aren't on the map at all. Heck, Lebanon is about 40% Christian and still a solid green.

As has been pointed out, if you take one look at Bangladesh, you know all there is to know about this map (it's poo poo).

edit: come to think of it, I think the reason Lesotho jumped out at me is that, with it being surrounded by a uniform sea of Protestantism, it sort of seems like it's saying "here be Africans (and you know what that means)".

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 18, 2013

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

YF-23 posted:

What's the deal with the noted Hindu minority in Guyana?

That one checks out. There's lots of descendants of Indian slaves brought over by the British in Guyana. Quite a few of them are Hindu, but checking the numbers on Wikipedia, I see that 43% of the population is Indo-Guyanese, but only 28% is Hindu. So those two things are not synonymous.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This is Steinstücken as it is today:

The area to the northeast that it is connected to via a single road is southwestern Berlin; the area surrounding it on all sides except for that road is Brandenburg, with Potsdam directly to the west. This means that before German reunification, it was a West German semi-exclave surrounded by East Germany. Except it actually was a 100% legit exclave until 1971, when the four occupying powers realized that this was loving retarded and gave a narrow piece of land (where the connecting road is located today) to West Berlin in exchange for a couple of uninhabited Western exclaves going to East Germany (there were quite a few of those exclaves, but Steinstücken was the only inhabited one that didn't get transferred population and all).

This is what it looked like then:

It's not really politically loaded per se, but I find it amazing how this dumb border situation goes back to 1787 and had such bizarre repercussions 160 years later.

(Added bonus: that red bridge crossing the Havel river in the upper left is Glienicke Bridge, where the US and the USSR exchanged captured spied four times during the Cold War.)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I realized just now that I've got a politically-loaded map right here on my wall. It's a map of Leipzig. Here it is in its entirety:

If you look at the upper left you can already see why it might be problematic, but allow me to zoom in on the worst part:

Welp.

When I first stumbled upon this map in a store in Leipzig I immediately fell in love with it. The colors are just so nice (sorry for the lovely lighting, you can't really see that here), plus it's historic (e.g. the place where I stayed during my time in Leipzig is just a field on the map). Then I noticed that it's the bad kind of historic. In the end I decided that I'm a huge goddamn mapsperg and needed to have this baby up on my wall, Nazi names be damned.

Adolf-Hitler-Feld looks like this today, by the way:

The outer ring are the stands of the Stadium of the Hundred Thousand (because that was its capacity - biggest stadium in Europe during its time), built in the GDR. The modern stadium in the middle was built inside of the old stadium in the early 2000s and was one of the venues of the 2006 World Cup, named Zentralstadion. Today, its official name is Red Bull Arena. Austria keeps haunting that place.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

There's that, plus there were probably lots of still moderately accurate pre-1933 maps floating around and I don't think even the Nazis would have been able to take them all out of circulation. And I suppose security through obscurity doesn't really work on something as big and as public as cities, anyway.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Panas posted:

Follow up on the east germany talk. Guess what city this is...

What the hell, I had a smaller version of this picture as my desktop background for a good while and never even noticed the difference in color. Then again, I've never noticed it from a ground level perspective either.

Guavanaut posted:

A lot of that warm yellow glow over East Berlin is gas lighting, not sodium vapor.

There's an ongoing plan to get them replaced with more efficient lighting, like LEDs specifically designed to mirror the color of the old gas lamps.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/26/16017872-warm-glow-of-berlins-beautiful-gas-streetlights-set-to-fade

Pretty sure that's not a east/west thing, though. There's plenty of gas lighting in West Berlin.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

System Metternich posted:

(Black means that less than 1 person/sqm lives there)

What's that long, dark stretch running north-south in eastern Kansas (assuming it's not just Kansas being Kansas)?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It's almost as if people invariably consider their own denomination to be the only legitimate way to practice a specific religion, and think that all other denominations are deviations. 3peat is even doing it in the Year of Our Lord 2013, by implying that Protestantism is somehow 'corrupt Christianity'.

Yes, but as far as I can see, Ethiopia is the only place where the map maker gets catty about other Christians. Other Orthodox places either get their little crosses and no further comment, or they're not shown at all (Syria, Egypt, Armenia is just generic "Christian" for some reason). It's certainly suspicious.

e: VVV Again, if he subscribed to that belief he'd have to label at least all the Catholic areas as "corrupt", possibly even the areas where those Goddamn _____ splitters live.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 25, 2013

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Also Luxembourg isn't included which makes me super curious about what's the most common name there.

It's "Schmit". Source. That site is pretty impressive (if you can read German).

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

We also find unexploded ordnance pretty much every month here in Germany. WW2 was almost 70 years ago!

Pretty much every month? Try

Wikipedia posted:

Thousands of UXOs from the Second World War are still uncovered each year in Germany. The daily average is 15, most of them aerial bombs.

Here's a bomb that managed to make the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbM2Xbc1uk

Most don't. You just get used to the constant drip of "oh, here's one more of those things". I can't even imagine how bad it has to be in Laos and Cambodia. :smith:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I like how the mapmaker even went to the trouble of renaming cities with German names in Switzerland, but then got to Bern and was all :effort:. Come on, Verona was called Bern in the legends about Theoderic the Great, surely that stuff goes both ways.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Riso posted:

On the upside, the infrastructure in East Germany is now significantly better than in the west. Anyway the Germans picked the dumbest way possible: direct integration, 1:1 currency exchange.

A much more sensible way would be to slowly integrate the territory and treat it as special zone for a few decades.

Perhaps a Sonderbewirtschaftungszone of some sort. ;)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

quote:

Noun[edit]

Nork (plural Norks)
(slang, ethnic slur, derogatory) A North Korean.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Nork

:shrug: Might have been edited in by a professionally-offended spergie warrior though. And here's a very intelligent debate about the word on the Straight Dope forums. For what it's worth, when you called specific, random-rear end North Koreans Norks it struck me as weird because I've only ever seen it in contexts like "when the Norks come at us they better not miss :freep:".

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just checked on Wikipedia and apparently the Breton name for Strasbourg really is exactly the same as the German name haha. Is that supposed to be a "gently caress you" to the French or what? I mean the Breton wiki page puts the official name third, that seems kind of suspicious.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah I'm German and I don't really see the point of using good cuts of meat in sausages, or let's rather say cuts that would be considered good if someone slapped them on a plate in front of you, un-sausage-ified. The whole point of sausages (and stuff like Mett) is to improve difficult cuts of meat. And Riso's right, I'd say the vast majority of the average German's offal intake comes from sausages. I mean even the casing is offal unless you insist on artificial casings, in which case you're wrong. So now we're at an impasse, you say "sausages are all pig assholes, eww", I say "gimme gimme".

Although it's still true that I differentiate between a hot dog and a sausage in a cut open bread roll. The latter is a sausage delivery system, while the former is a lovely sandwich.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Is Prussian identity still a thing? Besides football clubs like Borussia Dortmund etc...

Not really, maybe in some Studentenverbindungen at the most. Oh and in the youtube comments of videos of German military music. Oh and in the insults of Bavarians towards Northern Germans. Other than that, no. People in the historical core of Prussia are going to identify with their current state, even if they are weird ahistorical mishmashs like Saxony-Anhalt.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It's one of the names that were considered cool because they sounded English and therefore western. It's hard to describe just how stifling life in East Germany felt by the 1980ies. Anything that would get you even a glimpse of life outside the Eastern block was instantly considered awesome. That and it was a nice little gently caress-you to the state to give your child a name that sounded like it came from the hated class-enemy.

Yeah, this is what I always figured, although I don't know if anyone's actually done a study on it. Two more stereotypically Eastern German names are Cindy and Mandy for example. Ronny/Ronnie is probably influenced by Reagan, too, as hosed up as that may sound. I once had a classmate from East Berlin named Maggie who was born in '85 and I never worked up the courage to ask her if she'd been named for Thatcher, but I'm going to assume she was because it's funnier.

As for why English language names were seen as less desirable in West Germany, I'd postulate that if you're actually around Anglos they're not terribly exotic, and there were quite a few of them around.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wow, I was just thinking about that after my earlier post, because I naturally made the segue Thatcher -> Hitler. It's a little insane how many post-'45 Adolfs there are, and I was wondering if that was/is a West German thing but was too lazy to check. Thanks for reading my mind. :respek:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Do you know any Josephs?

None. Joseph strikes me as a really, really Bavarian name, and I try my best to avoid Bavarians where possible.

I don't personally know any Adolfs either.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mu Cow posted:

It might seem weird to foreigners because it's not a common name outside of Germany, but to Germans, it's just another name. If some genocidal dictator named John Smith rose up, people would still name their kids John, although they might avoid "John Smith", specifically.

I'm German. It's not just another name to me. If I met a guy my age (late 20s) named Adolf I would go slackjawed and immediately think less of his parents because they either a) are Nazis or b) went "what's the big deal, the boy's grandfather was named Adolf, it's just another name". Find another name then, this one's been retired to the rafters.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OH YOU MOTHERFUCKER anyway here's mine. I don't want to have wasted those 5 minutes

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Only one guy from Switzerland. :rolleyes: What's the matter, all mercenaried out? Get the gently caress over there, you've got a reputation to uphold.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm loving South Tyrol here. "Yeaaahhh, whatever". Well, except Bozen. Whole lotta foreign types there, apparently.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

This is cool. Sometimes when I've read about Imperial Germany and WWI it seems to me that Imperial Germany actually had quite an anti-imperialist/anti-colonialist streak to it, at least when it comes to their rethoric. I remember some generals in WWI (I think some of the ones who fought in Africa and Iraq) saying how "the colored races of the world would throw off the western imperialist yoke and expose their hypocrisy" (or something along those lines) and such, and then you also had Kaiser Wilhelm and his whole hatred (or atleast dislike) of international capitalism (local German capitalism was fine though). It's just kind of interesting, though it might just be the traditionalist Prussian aristocracy objecting to economic and political liberalism and being resentful of the empires of the other Great Powers, especially with the realization that they would deny Germany her place in the sun.

I'd like to read more about Imperial Germany I think, especially post-Bismarck and pre-WWI (I have read a very good, but rather academic, book about the buildup and start of WWI though, "To Arms" by Hew Strachan, which deals with, among many other things, German foreign policy ambitions and the German labor movement and social democratic party and their response to the war)

e: Also I remember reading and hearing about how Imperial Germany had quite good relations with the Muslim world, particularly in more conservative/reactionary Islamic circles, and that Kaiser Wilhelm was very popular among those Muslims who knew of him, calling him "Hajji Wilhelm", some even believed he had converted to Islam and made the pilgrimage to Mecca (I think I remember something about him actually visiting Mecca at some point, but can't confirm this).

Other people have already pointed out this rhetoric was mostly sour grapes, but your post reminded me of something I came across when I did research for my bachelor thesis: I was reading through microfilms of a German newspaper from the winter of 1939/40 when all of a sudden I see some reporting on Udham Singh assassinating Michael O'Dwyer. Kind of surprised me seeing that in the middle of news about the peace that ended the Winter War, but what I really didn't expect was that the Nazis were 100% "HELL YES!!! Glorious revenge for the Amritsar massacre and hopefully a decisive step towards Indian independence from the oligarch butchers in the so-called United Kingdom". Like, I didn't expect them to condemn the assassination exactly, but that op-ed was practically orgasmic.

This was especially funny in the context of the pretty drat regular bulletins along the lines of "Some polacks in the occupied territories took potshots at our brave soldiers. It has been ensured they will never do this again." But I guess that's how "and you are lynching Negroes" is played.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I assumed it was that shiny bean thing in Chicago. I mean it's technically mostly in the right state at least

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

There's also cool poo poo like the Okavango Delta

:rip:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Is there any merit to Papua New Guinea gaining independence from the UK instead of from Australia?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Saladman posted:

Ohh, is that why the streets are hosed nine ways to Sunday on Google Maps for China? The satellite+road map overview feature does not work at all, and it has been broken for many years (as long as I can remember having checked).

To see what I mean, go literally anywhere in China, go to satellite view, and make sure roads are overlaid. They will only be vaguely approximately close. I always wondered how Google could have such a long-term and gaping flaw.

drat, this looks cool on the border with Russia:

The Amur itself and islands within it, even those wholly within in China, are accurate. Everything else is shifted to the NNE, resulting in this border transgression.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

They have this really weird thing where they aren't ok with the state knowing too much about who you are and where you live, for some reason.

It's not really about the state (you are legally required to inform your local municipality of your new address if you move, within two weeks of moving). I think it's mostly a strong desire for privacy with respect to how you live. Sure, anyone could drive to your street and silently judge you for owning garden gnomes, but if they do that, then at least the retirees stooped over their windowsill on a pillow can glare back. It can't be only that, because you also find blurred out tenement buildings that would be virtually anonymous (and provide no information to prospective burglars), so I guess there also has to be a bit of "gently caress you, Gugel" in there.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

What are sa jiao women

http://www.heredg.com/2016/05/sa-jiao/

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

[...] Jever [is] utter swill imo [...]

i will end you

I drank a ton of Rothaus back during my student years in Freiburg, it's pretty good

:stare: :catstare: :allbuttons:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Jever was the first beer I ever tried and it took me years to finally recover. I stand by what I said :colbert: Re: Rothaus I'll give you that I haven't had it in ages, maybe my memories are too much about the fun I had on a steady Rothaus supply back in 2008 and not about the beer itself. But then, maybe they aren't :v:

btw, I just realised that the numbers given for the various parts of Bavaria actually add up to 660 breweries, not 616 as the bar graph says

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

So which one is it

3 according to purists, 3-4-5 according to normal people

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I find this very hard to answer, because almost all Dutch children get some basic level of German education in high school, including myself.

I feel really bad about this as a German btw. I remember when Ruud van Nistelrooy transferred to HSV and he gave interviews in pretty drat good German. I was like "wtf when did he ever play in the Bundesliga before". He didn't, he's just Dutch. Meanwhile, I don't think there's a single Dutch sentence I could produce off the top of my head.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/YairNetanyahu/status/1132380560377167875?s=19

:hmmyes:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Why would you not have Romanian and Moldovan on this map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

The only way it's 10-20 minutes in North-eastern Iceland is if the first car you see picks you up. There's like one road.

I was originally gonna say that you can see a couple of spots like that (Harz mountains in Germany, Massif Central in France), i.e. places that are so remote that the pickup rate is near 100% (because if you don't pick up someone there, it's a real dick move). But then I saw those weird splotches in Norrland, and no, that can't be right. If those red spots represent no cars passing you, NE Iceland should also be red, and if there is a general center-periphery effect like in France where it's easy to pass someone because "eh, someone will give them a lift", there shouldn't be that much contrast in a place with a constant, low population density. Strange.