Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Subway maps kick rear end.

Hey everyone remember that Glasgow has a subway too

:razz:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Most of Russia is "Traditional and Tribal"? Well... that's true, but not in a religious sense, I don't think.

(Also, the same regarding most of Greenland, but who do I know from Greenland, really?)

Those areas of Russia and greenland are still mostly inhabited by traditional inuit peoples.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Website in French:

http://combiendebises.free.fr/index.php

Personally around Paris and the North it's two times, and I'd say two-three times in Corsica.

Nice to see Brittany fitting in so well with their Greater British prude brethren.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Economist map showing UK constituencies as equal size to better depict the geographical party split which isn't visible on regular party mapping.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/04/mapping-britain

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

I'm amazed that someone finally figured out how to make a population representative map that didn't look like a malignant tumor. Also why does the map leave off the northern Irish?

I'd assume because NI doesn't conform to the Labour/Conservative/Liberal split which occurs on the mainland. It has lots of its own smaller parties.

twoot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 21, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

menino posted:

I do remember reading that the Hutus and Tutsis were originally the same ethnic group but one group herded while the other farmed, and that eventually there existed a small distinction that the colonizers took and exploited. Am I off on this? Did anyone else read this? I think it may have been a War Nerd column, and he tends to get over his head when he writes about Africa.

They were separate tribes beforehand, but you couldn't tell them apart afaik. Belgian colonists started separating the people into the two groups based off of physical appearance mostly. One group was made to be short in stature, round face, flat nose. The other was tall in stature, angular face, long pointed nose. I can't remember which was which though. The Tall group was elevated into positions of power within the colonial regime, the colonists saw them as being closer to themselves, and the other group was restricted to being farmers/peasants and other such stuff.

The Nazis later used the same techniques to identify Jews by their appearance.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

boblemoche posted:

A map showing what heathen parts of France calls this a "chocolatine", versus the ones correctly calling it a "pain au chocolat", as it was meant to be called, dammit. :argh:

Weird. I spent a good few summers in the south-west of France and every bakery called it a pain-au-chocolat.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.doctorwho.tv/watch-the-day-of-the-doctor/

Contains an embedded googlemap showing all of the locations where the Doctor Who 50th aniversary special will be shown in cinemas.

What I find interesting is the lack of showings in France/Belgium/Netherlands, but a bunch of showings over Russia and South America.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sadly I'm willing to bet a decent amount of Americans wouldn't do much better than this.

They didn't. http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I'm a West of Scotland californian apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

duckmaster posted:

Interesting - a google search revealed it was mixed with coffee during the Second World War in Britain to make rations last longer.

Also coffee consumption in Britain is still overwhelmingly of the instant variety, which is another leftover of the war as it was the instant coffee sachets of American troops stationed here which started it. BBC story