Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pasco posted:

Nothing political here, that's just an objectively Correct map.

Cleveland isn't on it so it's bad because I live in it. Other acceptable solutions would be making everything county cumberland because I like the flag.

The current counties are stupid too because they got rid of cleveland a while ago so as far as I can tell north of the river is durham and south of the river is yorkshire, but I'm fairly sure both counties would like to disclaim us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was young at the time but there are several towns build directly over the tees and while the different sides of the river might have Views about each other they're definitely the same town because they're all big industry towns that were built up specifically because of the river and the railway. I don't think the animosity is any greater than between postcode numbers.

That the towns are all fairly new by british standards is likely why the historic counties don't line up, because there was gently caress all here until they set up the industry.

Pseudohog posted:

Are you a monkey hanger then? Or perhaps a smoggie?

Smoggie yes. Monkey hangers are obviously a different species :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 25, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This actually is pretty applicable to the other cleveland as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plains of gorgoroth just covered in SA-2 batteries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you moved it a little bit westward you could get both buckingham palace and parliament.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you go back far enough the north sea is called the german sea so I am curious when it became our responsibility.

I really wish I could actually photograph my map of the heptarchy but it's engraved on brass.

E: this is the least glare I could get on it and the highest resolution my phone will go:

It is also further ammunition in my war against the historic counties people because it clearly says KINGDOME OF CLEVE-LAND

Also finally settling the london/derry argument because it's called "Der rie" which also is clearly German.

E: Also lmao that the north sea is the germayn sea but the channel is apparently "the british ocean"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was how I got it from the charity shop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like someone left south america on its side and all the geography settled eastward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the implication that the result is some sort of frankenstein's monster that should not be?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If gott strafe england then it's not der kanal any more is it??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use a francoantipodean projection this could appear to be true and also make france appear much larger and more threatening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

That's Basque and Catalan erasure, just off the top of my head.

There is a paradox here depending on whether or not you think "spain" encompasses those :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my understanding the Falklands very much do not want to be a part of Argentina, I think it's like 95%+ in favour of being a UK territory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peggotty posted:

Yes, the white english settlers living on the Falklands are in favour of the Falklands belonging to the UK. Probably 100% of them.

The islands weren't inhabited until the europeans showed up as far as I'm aware, and settlements were fairly sporadic until 19th century dick wagging became relevant. So the only competing arguments you can make are either what the people living there want, and pretty borders. There's no native population of the islands to make a claim unless you count the penguins. In which case covering the entire thing in landmines would be an option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

That sounds like a good option for most of the UK

The seagulls are perfectly capable of holding their own against the other occupants of the british isles. And arguably without nearby targets they would only become more belligerent against france.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peggotty posted:

So if I go to England and start sitting on an uninhabited mountain, it belongs to me? It can't possibly belong to any European country, given that they don't have people living on it.

I mean, personally, yes I think you should be able to live wherever you like. Though most of the mountains are national parks so people might object if you start digging it up to put a house on it.

You find a bit that's just some lord's back garden or something yeah you're welcome to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

99% of everywhere that has had a union jack hoisted on it probably has people with a more legitimate claim and a mountain of bodies to hold the pole up.

The falklands are specifically fun because they're like the one bit of land on earth that everybody would assume shouldn't be part of the UK but you really struggle if you try to come up with a good argument as to why beyond making the colours on the map tidier. There's better arguments for cornwall not being part of the UK than the falklands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Argentine claim rests on the idea that the Spanish colonised the islands first and therefore it's theirs...

Legitimately unless you want to carpet bomb it there is no anti-colonialist claim because there are no native inhabitants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really not sure what you want then other than for the people who live on the falklands to just disappear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to annoy that section of the population you could just, like, do four times as many eurovisions. Possibly with a big satellite dish beaming them at the UK and overriding the premier league.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Experts conflicted over possibility of life in Germany.

Roman geography.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could just make all of britain governed by the isle of man, they have their own parliament and it predates the british/english one.

Also make the entire UK use manx railway gauge while you're at it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could set mine to keep me north of york and I'd be happier for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Historically I think that has led to people just eating the penguins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They picked new zealand to film lord of the rings in because it is literally valinor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i say swears online posted:

when did we see valinor in lotr

they filmed it there because of elvish labour laws

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be improved by the addition of "the area which elects the london assembly and mayor"

Re: upthread, I feel like the bourgeois overtaking the aristocracy is a lot of what marx was writing about. Old money has a lot of power in the UK but it's not strictly tied to its money, or at least not linearly. It still provides us a shitload of government, media, and business figures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Expelling the british plumbers to where, one wonders.

Presumably poland to replace the deficit. Which makes the whole thing seem like a kind of large prank.

Perhaps that's how they fund london, viral demography prank videos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i say swears online posted:

the war drums pound for Greater Monaco

just wait until the sea people hear about this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The US's top 10 mountains are all in Alaska.

Most of the top things in the US are in Alaska because otherwise you have the map upside down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Why should Ukraine take this route? Because it gives them the option to do this:

Just want to bring this back given recent developments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All areas not coloured in do not have genetics, biological entities outside of confirmed genezones should be considered hostile. Avoid contact at all costs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think that's the east coast of florida.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I assumed the question was which specific map it was, not just what it was a map of, because it seemed too obviously a map of the northern Caribbean.

I dunno I read CREATO and IANI and spent a minute trying to figure out what the gently caress happened to the mediterranean and why a hebride got lost in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Words are the tools of the Devil, only trust shapes.

badly scaled sideways sardinia and corsica

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ouiaboos, surely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol @ czechslovakia and yugoslavia don't exist any more, therefore they should not exists as part of hungary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Judgy Fucker posted:

As he noted at the time, gesturing in an arc from north Texas through Arkansas and Tennessee: "There's something going on in the Cracker Barrel."

Is this to do with the regionality of the restaurant chain or is it this just what they called the voter base?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Wait they actually say 'Tekhas' in Russian? Misleading little X to someone used to read Latin script, heh.

I would imagine "Iowa" also comes out quite funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's going to sell me a tin of peas is what he is.