Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Bit late but that's definitely durian or durian products. Particularly some of the concetrated flavourings can make your pee smell bad enough it almost made me barf while peeing.

Also the tropical/equatorial weather all year round.

I dunno who you hung out with when you were here but I don't think I've ever met anyone who ate enough durian regularly to smell like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does Quebecois French follow metropolitan French for numbers?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I'd say countries that have this are generally the exception not the rule outside of the Americas.

To add in my 5 cents from my corner of the world, in Malay there is a distinction between ethnic Malays and Malaysian nationals (Orang Melayu and Orang Malaysia respectively), due to its long history of multi-ethnicism.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Would a person of Chinese decent not also use zhonguo ren to describe their origin even if they don't actually live in China?

As a Malaysian-Chinese guy we usually use hua ren to refer to ethnically Chinese people in general, or Hokkien, Teochew etc for individual Chinese cultures. Mainland Chinese nationals are usually referred to as zhongguo ren, and we usually do differentiate Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau (like I wouldn't call a Hongkonger a zhongguo ren unless they requested me to). Of course, this might just be a Malaysia thing, I can't speak for other overseas Chinese communities. Interestingly, Malay doesn't really differentiate (it's Orang Cina for both, but you can elaborate if you have to differentiate). Unfortunately I can't speak for Malaysian-Indians, who are the third largest ethnic group here.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 14, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/maz_jovanovich/status/1444524436548296705?s=21

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

On this point, as a Canadian I've always used a combination of British and American spelling, which is pretty common in Canada. I steadfastly stuck to it over the years while living in the US, but now that I live in the UK I have to admit that I more readily use British spellings with a few American spellings scattered throughout.

As a third-world Commonwealther I find that what tends to happen is that we tend to spell things the British way but use American vocabulary a lot due to its cultural pull.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saladman posted:

Yeah I guess I was thinking "on the territory proper" but I guess it's true that religious studies == tertiary studies for most of human history.

On a related note, Americans seem to be the only people that set up universities all over the world, like AU Beirut, AU Cairo, AU Istanbul (Boğaziçi), John Cabot (Rome), ... There are way more than I even thought : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_universities_and_colleges_abroad and that doesn't even count ones like Boğaziçi since it's now a public Turkish university.

French people started and run private high schools in a lot of countries, but not tertiary education and mostly only in ex-colonial territories, and their high schools are nowhere near as pervasive as American high schools, which are probably in nearly as many different countries as are Hiltons. I guess the Jesuits run a fairly large number of universities internationally as well. Wow, there are a ton of them in India: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jesuit_educational_institutions

I looked and couldn't find a map of American universities / high schools abroad. Gotta make one, I guess.

If we're counting stuff like spinoff branches then a decent amount of British universities have set up local branches here in Malaysia. I imagine it's a similar situation around the developing nations of the commonwealth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ronya posted:

to nitpick (and to bring it back to the settler-population point), I feel obliged to point out that the Chinese are not the locals in this context, having moved from a largely male, transient workforce (think South Asians in the Gulf today) to a settled population within living memory during decolonization:

(foreground placard: KITA TIDAK MAHU SINGAPURA MENJADI PALASTINE - WE DO NOT WANT SINGAPORE TO BECOME PALESTINE; photo taken during Singapore's troubled membership in the federation; in the event, Malay nationalists, like the pan-Arabists, would eventually resign themselves to abandoning the Malay population in Singapore to a Chinese dominated state)

the MPAJA coming to dominate Chinese anticolonial resistance by arms does have some salience here - one reason prewar Malay leftism died (unlike, say, in liberal to Guided Democracy Indonesia) was that, like with many occupied countries, the moment the war ended, resistance movements emerged to exact massive punitive justice on collaborators. But the communist resistance was overwhelmingly Chinese: it had crushed the noncommunist Chinese resistance during the war. And the collaborators - the chieftains, village leaders, and nativised police that the Japanese inherited from the British - were, of course, overwhelmingly Malay. In the six weeks between the Japanese surrender and the British return, the tide of blood that ensued unwittingly made quite certain that as long as Malaya is governed by Malays, it would be stridently anticommunist.

I wonder just how much more aligned to the PRC the local Chinese would be even if the MPAJA/Malayan Communist Party won out in the end. Most Chinese Malaysians I know (myself included) either like it here and would prefer to stay or get brain-drained to Australia/NZ/the West rather than China proper.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sulawesi and Svalbard.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a Chinese name and my legal first name is a two-parter with a space in it. It is incredibly annoying just how many online forms don't accept spaces in the first name slot, or parses the second part of my name as my middle name (which doesn't exist). I could just write it without a space I guess but A) I hate how it looks when it's smushed together and B) it's not exactly my legal name at that point.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Re: Malaysia: yeah it's pretty much impossible to get yourself legally declared an apostate if you're Muslim. Glad I don't have that issue because I'm ethnically Chinese so I'm officially Buddhist on the government records, but if I ever did convert to Islam then it'll be hard to take back. Especially because even adult converts need to get circumcised if you aren't already.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I was actually thinking the same about Zelensky. 1.69m is definitely short for a man,

Maybe in Europe I guess, but I'm 1.69m and I'm pretty average height here in Southeast Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Koramei posted:

I think part of the issue, unlike New York for America or Tokyo for Japan, is that Seoul is just a head and shoulders and probably all the way down to the knees a nicer, richer, more diverse, cleaner, culturally interesting, more employable etc etc place to live than any of the second tier cities with the possible exception of Busan.

Now that combined with a lack of interest in fixing that is a genuine problem, but the want to be in Seoul is I think pretty understandable.
Rather than comparing the attitudes with those of countries that have been rich for centuries, I'd be curious to hear about how it compares with social attitudes in other recently/presently developing countries. Kuala Laumpur in Malaysia, Cairo in Egypt? Korea's uneven level of development on a gut level feels essentially unavoidable given its circumstances I think.

I'm a KL guy born and bred, and I don't think Malaysia is at the level of SK yet. You'd get pretty much the same standard of living in Georgetown or Johor Bahru really, there's just more variety in KL. Plenty of people moving from KL out to Penang or to smaller cities around, not to mention migrants from East Malaysia to West and vice versa.