Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Joke's on you, Feliks. That's Kazakhstan, not Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm so sorry, Taymyr peninsula. :negative:

EDIT: And the Philippines, oh my god.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

fishmech posted:

Seems legit

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Redczar posted:

Overlap of historical borders and claims

Can someone explain Uruguay's case? Did they really control that much territory before?

I mean, from Cordoba to Santa Catarina? :psyduck:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Redczar posted:

For the parts in Brazil they're sourcing the Banda Oriental which was Uruguay+Rio Grande do Sol. The parts of Argentina appear to be a very generous interpretation of the borders of the Federal League, which occupied only parts of Córdoba, Corrientes, Entre Rios, etc, but not the entire provinces.

duckmaster posted:

When Napoleon invaded Spain in the early 1800s the whole area was under Spanish control. They finally confirmed the news that the Spanish King had been overthrown in 1810 and the United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata declared independence a few years later (this was the predecessor to Argentina). The eastern most provinces (Uruguay and that bit that stretches west) wanted to run things a bit differently and split from the provinces, declaring the Federal League, which is sort-of considered the predecessor to Uruguay. The map appears to show their rough borders.

The opposing government of the United Provinces was referred to by the brilliantly named The Supreme Directorship who fought a brief but bloody war until their defeat in 1920. The Federal League signed a treaty with them to return to the United Provinces as a federal entity. The entire country erupted into a series of civil wars, with Uruguay becoming independent in 1851; the provinces to the west of the Uruguay River had chosen to stay with Argentina as they were never really Uruguayan to start with. The area to the north of Uruguays current border was mainly worthless jungle and given to Brazil as thanks for supporting them against Argentina in the civil war (the indigenous peoples were, of course, not consulted on this one). Brazil wanted Uruguay and that worthless jungle area as a buffer against Argentinian expansion and maintained almost total control over Uruguayan foreign relations and defence, and a clause in the constitution allowing them to intervene in internal affairs whenever they drat well pleased (and they did).

In 1863 the Argentinians invaded Uruguay to overthrow the government who were allied with Paraguay; that government requested assistance from Paraguay who decided to invade Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay itself (all at the same time!) which went just as well as you'd expect. It did help to stabilise Argentinian-Brazillian relations and Brazil largely left Uruguay to run their own affairs after that.

Basically the whole area was a complete mess in the 19th century. Uruguays population at independence was about 75,000 (with a quarter of that just in Montevideo) so whole areas of South American territory could be "annexed" by a treaty between two factions, with nobody from either group having to bother actually going to that area to control it. Whoever controlled the rivers controlled the Plate; the land was just for prestige.

Thanks. I didn't quite know much about Liga Federal and the territory it controlled. Also I didn't see it as a proto-Uruguay, but there's Artigas envolved in it, so...yeah.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Right now picturing Slav hooligans squatting by the shores of the Indus.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Antti posted:

Tampere is a bad example of phonemic Finnish since it's pronounced [manse].

What

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Count Roland posted:

Yeah the static "province" borders is really annoying. Its a cool idea, but way too messy to be usable right now. I'll stick with Gea Con, thank-you.

Enlighten me on this one, please.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh yeah, that one. Yep, so much better and doesn't kick my RAM's rear end.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Armenian genocide never happened and we totally ruled Korea and Sakhalin once, you guys!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/pSVYBLf.webm

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Zudgemud posted:

Something something oil drilling kills Brazil?

From telenovela's opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948iEiclI8A

Deus nos acuda = God help us

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 13, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's such a shame for them that any chance to annex Inner Mongolia from China is dead and buryat.

Maybe they should khalkha it quits.

Keep kalmyk and carry on.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 27, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Check some Brazilian capitals on Google Earth and try to get through 5 minutes without spotting this kind of stuff. It's incredibly easy to find favelas right next to high-class residential zones.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kamrat posted:

I pressed the quote button you while your image was broken to see a link to the map, since you couldn't get it to work I had to try it for myself. It worked for me for some reason. :shrug:

Crazy thing Gothic language was still around in 900 AD Crimea don't y'all think?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, 18th century is even crazier. I wonder if they looked just like today's Germans or Scandinavians.

System Metternich posted:

One last linguistic tidbit: Manchu, the former language of the Manchurian people, was brought to China by the Qing dynasty and was intended to become the main language of the Qing's new empire. It didn't work out, though; in the 18th century there're already complaints that the language is in decline, and by the 19th century even the Imperial court couldn't speak it fluently anymore. It was (kinda haphazardly, apparently) taught to civil and military officers, but this didn't really seem to work all that well. Today there's the grand number of ten people remaining who can call Manchu their native language, all of them at least 90 years old.

Seems like there's some effort to keep it alive but I wouldn't count on it.
Have some dude singing in Manchu over a video of Qing soldiers attacking Koreans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTLKx0gRaQQ

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 6, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Wanna play that map in Civ.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321645690&searchtext=earth

There are many other Future Earth maps too.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh looks like Russia has ceded the Kuriles to Japan finally

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

LOL there's actually two k-pop songs for South Korea and a bunch of loving racist songs for Japan. Good job whoever made this crap. :thumbsup:

Also the classic "Columbia".

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

goose willis posted:

As a New Yorker I can tell you that we loving hate tourists

Yowza sorry for bringing money to your town

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm gonna post xkcd and nobody can stop me.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Budzilla posted:

Well Thatcher was considering to hand back the Falklands 2 years before the invasion. If the people of Gibraltar want independence or to join Spain they can. Although neither of those things will ever happen because the status quo is a much more attractive (and popular) prospect.

Hand back to...? France?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Morocco, have you not been reading the thread?

I mean the Falklands. They were never Argentine territory as far as I know.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

:gonk:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Most of Western Hemisphere: Not part of Western Civilization.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

they're not white, no. 'western civilization' is code for 'the white race'

Based on that logic, no part of the Americas belongs to the West. :downsbravo:

But what I really have to say is that Huntington is a dumbass.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Page 1000 requires maps from 1000 AD

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Elyv posted:

What game is this?

Chrono Trigger

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Macedonia was like the ballsack of Yugoslavia.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Probably Native Americans who sailed across the Atlantic.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bigger

I am the Slavic Sarmatians/Scythians.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/868482309325901824

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Best globe or best globe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63QZjdGxa4&hd=1&t=6s

Also, enjoy countless hosed up globes and projections in those TV news openings.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Why not include Russian Manchuria and Korea while they're at it

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OZxbDT2ho&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSDMHrO380&hd=1

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I wonder how could the Evenki get so lost in the middle of Siberia not far from the Urals if they are native to that region next to Manchuria. There's nothing too interesting there AFAIK

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Craptacular posted:

This is an interactive one. Draw the 50 states from memory, one by one, and it'll make a map of the US. Here's my pitiful attempt.

That was fun. Shame I'm not from US.

Is there one for countries? I'd love to try.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

TinTower posted:

I didn't do too bad with the map considering I'm not a septic.

It wouldn't download, though. :argh:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-%22Print-Screen%22-Function-on-a-Keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I guess the Arawak group are the only indigenous group who has inhabited both North and South America, right?