Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

The current Swedish royal family is descendant from a French general and friend of Napoleon that the aged childless king adopted despite the Frenchman in question being both lowborn (or at least of very very minor nobility can't quite remember which) and completely unrelated to the king.

bernadotte was a marshall, and not really a friend of napoleon, more like a powerful rival that napoleon tried to use for his own purposes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Far as I'm concerned, the Bernadotte tattoo is firmly in I Want To Believe territory. If we can't lol at royalty what have we even got them for?

He had the tat, Elizabeth II is currently being Weekend at Bernie'd, and yes, Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna was getting plowed by Rasputin's enormous dick on the regular.

Also Versailles was full of piss and poo poo. That one is true for sure. Noble Sirs and Madams just poopin and peeing in the staircases like animals.

that's an interesting act, what do you call it?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FishBulbia posted:

drat imperialists just drawing lines on maps without consulting the local penguin population

there is still a tim hortons further north than this, so Canada obv has the best claim

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...4!4d-62.3461246

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saladman posted:

I've thought about buying the new horribly named Xbox whateverthefuck exclusively for the new MS Flight Simulator, even though I don't really like flight sims, just because it looks so impressive.

Google Streetview is great and it's amazing how many more regions get added every year. Being able to go back and forth in time is also incredible, when available. It also makes me wonder at how completely Luddite Germany is. Like do Germans not like being able to check out in advance where they are going? I find it incredibly useful for travelling. Luxembourg and Austria also relatively recently overcame their fear of street view maps, so hopefully Germany will too. (And Liechtenstein too apparently, lol.)

E: I also find it incredibly useful for figuring out bike routes that I can do with minimal probability of being killed.

this is one of the few things where everyone should be more like germany

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

What year is it from?

google lens says 1940

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow Scotland seems even more obscure than sweden when it comes to european countries that ended up parts of the US

scotland must really be the worst country at statecraft

their lovely colonies hosed up their economy so bad that they thought that joining in a union with england was a good move

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The occupation areas following the second Treaty of Paris?

yeah

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/WLtoraB.mp4

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cartographer said "No momo".

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BonHair posted:

At least in comparison to the USA. Their growth is pretty impressive, and that's the most important capitalist metric after all. They haven't perfected the system, but they're at least working long term and not blowing everything on stupid things.

they're also better at genociding

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saladman posted:

Yeah that "facilities that are not shared" seems like a stupid metric though. Like student dormitories everywhere in the world would then count as "not basic sanitation"? I mean, I've been to one dorm where that was probably indeed the case, but most of the dorms I've lived in / visited have been perfectly clean despite shared bathroom facilities between dozens of people.

Shared drop toilets can be quite clean? I've been to quite a few rural villages in Africa that had perfectly clean drop toilets shared between a couple dozen or more households, usually with concrete floors that someone cleans. All but one of them have been cleaner than the average European highway reststop bathroom.

making GBS threads in the middle of the fields, or streets (hi India), sounds like a much bigger sanitation issue than a neighborhood toilet.

I mean they can be filthy as gently caress for sure, like this shared bathroom in France, on the highway near Metz. It was so filthy I went and pissed outside in the bushes, but I'm pretty sure highway rest stops are exponentially grosser than any small rural African village's shared drop toilet.

a modern versailles!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Map with decreased ‘C’ level.

sa has c

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

žussy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Abba Kovner had some good ideas.

what ideas were those?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i say swears online posted:

ethnic cleansing sure is a can of worms, isn't it thread

unfortunately many goons are genocide supporters

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Being wet all the time sure makes the place conductive I guess.

brits have just single windows and drafty houses

i guess they had cheap energy during the oil crisis so they didn't have to improve their insulation

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

No wonder Islas Malvinas are so hotly contested, being a true source of power

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TinTower posted:

Not included: Cabot Cove, Maine, which has a murder rate three times higher than the Virgin Islands.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Check out this sweet fantasy map.

Bonus map.

lol at europe's borders

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mormonism is basically just a scam that went way too far.

that's all religions

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

just stuff them in your speedos

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a map type that show populations densities much better:

:thejoke:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

Why is Italy's population so heavily concentrated on the coasts?

Kamrat posted:

Italy's inner region is pretty mountainous

yeah, italy is one of those countries where the population density map is basically the reverse elevation map

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

if belarus is there, why aren't the rest of the soviet states too?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Pre 1871 is mostly just like "I stuck some letters on a wine press and now the Pope is mad", increasingly larger tubas, and the Easter Bunny.

and communism

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cable Guy posted:

Velcro is an interesting one in that regard... few years back the PR dept at the Velcro company put out a release saying that the product was "hook and loop fastening tape" or something and that they'd like people to call it that instead of diluting their brand name....

...until people pointed out that the inventor had called it Velcro and that the company was named after the product.

hashtag_things_i_learned_from_QI

if it was on qi it probably wasn't true

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

to be more impartial, the eu capital should be outside the eu

liechtenstein would be the logical choice

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i say swears online posted:

I thought Lviv was the EU capital?

actually it's washington dc

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the best way to have kept them unified would have been to give not give hungarians a state, but instead give every state a piece of hungary

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only morally justifiable form of government is a hetmanate.

het mans have caused most of mankind's troubles

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the original ideas for the constitution was that the first runner up for president should be vice president, which they discarded pretty quickly, but it would certainly be an interesting dynamic for the occasions when the VP was actually relevant.

George Washington specifically hated the idea of parties and only begrudgingly declared himself as being for one side when Hamilton and Jefferson were setting up their polarized sides, but George Washington is kind of weirdly unique in world history as being a big powerful and widely respected political leader who really just wanted to retire to live with his horrible teeth instead of clinging to power to the last.

washington wanted to abuse his slaves in peace

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

The one in northern Denmark is a big artillery battery and underground bunker complex the Germans built in WW2 so they could shoot anything entering the Baltic. In practice it became a place that well connected Germans could have their sons sent to get as far away from the action as possible. It's now a museum.

I'm guessing the dot directly across from it in Norway is its twin base.

Does that count as a castle?

what happened with the gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

castles are cool
nerds drool