Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Not even Oakland supports the Raiders. That's just sad.

Oakland supports the Raiders but the rest of Alameda County apparently doesn't. Or at least they don't talk about the Raiders on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amarkov posted:

These maps always make me so proud of my home city.

Too bad about the boring though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

De Nomolos posted:

Well it appears Georgetown is as poor as SW DC!

Colleges screw up income maps. They have a lot of people who appear poor on paper but live reasonably well on what basically amounts to unreported income (parents, loans, financial aid).

withak fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 13, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the problem is that usually the term is used to discuss the development of civilizations. These maps are more of a interesting correlation between favorable geology and agriculture conducive to slavery, and then a correlation between past slavery and present political opinion.

The people voting democrat didn't just happen to set up a civilization there thousands of years ago and are currently dealing with the consequences; they were forcibly dragged there in the relatively recent past.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess it usually seems to refer to far longer time scales than this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tractor fanatic posted:

An United Britain?

Maybe that is how they say it in England.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

last laugh posted:

LA Fitness is a chain, not sure why they specify the type of club there, but Minnesota is generic "supermarket" instead of say, Cub Foods.

Usually means there is only one option. You can say that you were at the supermarket or the gym and everyone knows exactly where you mean.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also rivers move.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

It's kind of shocking to realise stuff like this actually happened. We're generally given an image of perfect harmony between the anglophone nations in most matters during the 20th century, but in reality the cultures were, and still are, surprisingly different.

I think American soldiers in England during WW2 were somewhat resented too. They were paid far better than everyone around them and hadn't been living under strict rationing for five years so they seemed like filthy rich, wasteful assholes to the common english person.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Geology also.

Coastline 85 million years ago

I think this was posted before.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't believe that North Korea or Turkmenistan or someone else hasn't already jumped on the unclaimed zone.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 2, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheIllestVillain posted:

That map might be a little outdated or just inaccurate since Australia has a paid parental leave system.

Also California does for both parents.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bet it is because a lot of the content creation/editing tools are written by database programmers for database programmers. If you aren't a database programmer then you probably have an uphill hike ahead of you before you really understand how things work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unclear map: C-

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

http://robertspage.com/dialects.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

A political map where america is one of the good guys. :monocle:

In the US we condition people to lie when answering questions like that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would be interesting to show it in terms of the actual ratio of bars to grocery stores, and to make the same map for (say) 20 years ago when you could still find towns with a number of small grocery stores instead of one big one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently the term "soda" followed the Illinois River upstream through Illinois. Or possibly I-55.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 6, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this one.

I heard it referenced one time in a song that I totally didn't understand until now.

(warning: no map content)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKDagcLpJgY

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The definition of risk is cost x probability of occurrence, where cost is in lives or dollars and the probability of occurrence is usually annual. Severe weather happens a lot more frequently than major earthquakes even though a single earthquake may have a greater cost than a single weather event.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder what the difference is between midland and 19th-century european?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think in most places it just can't be opened if it is in the passenger compartment. You can keep newly-bought bottles of anything up front, but if you are bringing a half-finished bottle home from a party then it has to go in the trunk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like that map only shows county-level laws. There are cities with blue laws that aren't shown.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

FMLA guarantees unpaid leave.

Yeah it just prevents you from getting fired for taking family leave.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably the data range from -50 to +35.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That poll should have also asked how many people the responder thinks died in each event.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zohar posted:

While we're on this kind of map, here's a map of the impact of tooth decay in different countries:

(legend available on the original page)

I thought the distribution was a bit odd, but I guess it's a function of availability of dental care and availability of food that's lovely for your teeth.

I wonder what the map of fluoridated drinking supplies looks like?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a lot of the ways that we use to guess at where to dig don't work so well if the entire area is covered in tens of feet of soft sediment, not to mention underwater.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is an acceptable solution.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

There is an interesting article about this in the current New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_batuman

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Lat" is like the rungs of a ladder.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PYF lat/lon mnemonics.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Latitude is the one with physical meaning, longitude is an incredibly useful but ultimately just made up number.

Both are just angular measurements from some arbitrary baseline.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The axis of rotation drifts around though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
More useful would be a projection based on travel time from the US to wherever in the late 19th/early 20th century.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Roumba posted:

This sounds like a fun project for when classes start this week. Interactive to change distance/travel time and draggable center of the map around wherever. Weee!

I've seen one for the SF Bay Area where you pick a starting point and it generates contours of travel time on public transit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Randandal posted:

Where are the Johanssons coming from? Or what's happening to the Anderssons? :ninja:

Johan has been spending a suspiciously large amount of time around Anders' wife.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some kind of polar projection.

edit: Polar in the mathematical sense, not in the geographic sense.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

I thought Acadian was an archaic term.

It's not like someone struggling to create an interesting backstory for himself based on where his great-great-grandparents were from cares about accurate terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best not to try to figure out why Finns like what they like.