Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Next time I take a survey that asks my ethnicity, I'm putting down "none."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Mountains, not much else you can do with much of that land. I believe it's mostly new growth forest though, Japan was almost entirely deforested but was one of the first countries to begin reforestation and conservation, I think in the 1600s or 1700s?

I haven't read it yet myself, but in one of the Ask/Tell history threads someone recommended this book, which is all about Japanese forest management under the Tokugawa shoguns.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I agree. I don't think it's racist or whatever to use a convenient preexisting map that makes Greenland look like it's the size of Africa. I do think that it would be a good idea to spend at least one or two geography lessons in elementary school showing the kids different maps and comparing them to a globe so they have an idea how these things work, so as to avoid adults I have met who thought that Alaska and eastern Siberia are on opposite sides of the world or that Antarctica is the largest continent.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've literally never seen this supposed "BOYLAN'S" for New Jersey. I've known several very small amount of town distribution area soft drinks in New Jersey like BOOST (which is really good) but loving Boylan's??? Never seen it by my grandparents in North Jersey, never seen it near Rutgers, never seen it at the shore or in South Jersey.

Counterpoint: I have lived almost my whole life in NJ, and I have definitely seen Boylan's around. There's a good local diner that sells it instead of larger brands.

I don't think it's any more common than other "small" brands though, like Jones or whatever.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Eh, fish go in the ocean all the time, I'm sure it's fine.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Konstantin posted:

That is nothing compared to the king of insane boardgames, The Campaign for North Africa. The map is 10 feet long, it is recommended that each side have 5 people, and the estimated length is 1200 hours for the full campaign.

If this is the game I'm thinking of, I remember reading about it in an issue of InQuest back in the 90s. The article claimed that you have to keep track of water and rations for each individual soldier, and the Italian faction uses more water per soldier because they have to boil pasta. I assumed back then that was a joke, but reading the description here, maybe it wasn't.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kamrat posted:

Wow, you're right, never thought about cacti before, seems like we only have one kind here in the old world.

Blue: Rhipsalis baccifera
Green: All other cacti

Interesting that the old world ones get as far as Sri Lanka, that's neat

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I love basement pools.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003