Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

"Saudi Homeland Independent Territories"

I also love how someone has carved up the region for whatever loving reason/agenda and just leaves the West Bank "undetermined"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never heard anyone refer to soft drinks as "tonic" except maybe ads from the 1890s. Are you sure they didn't mean tonic water?

Elim Garak posted:

Positive. To give some more information, it was my fathers side of the family, they grew up lower middle class in Waltham, MA. My grandfather was a marine in the Pacific theater in WWII, so maybe it came from there, but I tend to think not since my dad still occasionally said tonic into the early 90's. I'd think if it was something his peers weren't saying as a kid he would have dropped it. His father, sister and her children all said it at least until '94 or '95 when my grandfather died and a rift in the family prevented me from observing the evolution of the vernacular. But yeah, it was definitely all fizzy soft drinks.

Edit: http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/308-the-pop-vs-soda-map mentions it fading in popularity in the Boston area. This was the map I was thinking of when I said earlier that I guessed tonic wasn't showing up anymore, but it doesn't even show up on this map. Also if you google soda vs pop vs tonic there's a Boston Globe article about it but it's subscriber-only.

Tonic is most definitely a Boston-area thing, though it's largely fallen out of favor. It's still my born-and-raised-in-Somerville mother's go-to word for soda

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

lonelywurm posted:

On the 2000 census, 32,765 people nationwide identified their ancestry as "Texas". A further 6,510 reported it as "Southerner". That said, it looks like every state had at least some people use it to identify their ancestry, though the next-largest (California) is only at 8,000 and some.

You can look at it yourself, XLS link down near the bottom of the page: http://www.census.gov/population/ancestry/data/

Aryan - 3,308 :stare:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

what the hell is up with that legend?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

"quarantined Japan" yowza

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

the US also gets Hainan for some reason

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

I think that trying to paint the world in 5 (Ostentatiously 7 since South Asia sans Pakistan is it's own color and Burma is unreported) is kinda superficial from the get go.

India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are their own color (red). Pakistan is dark blue like most of the Middle East

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

That's what I said ?

whoops, sorry - I read that as "Pakistan has its own color"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

MrMenshevik posted:

Yuengling only distributes near their breweries which really restricts their range. I was shocked to learn you can't buy it in Boston after getting a taste for it in suburban Alabama. It is possibly the only thing Birmingham does better than Boston.

They just announced they'll be distributing in Massachusetts again

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

In the case of a lot of cognates, the German 'ei' becomes 'ij' in Dutch. That's probably why you have that impression. And yes, you are a horrible racist, albeit a highly specific type of racist.

Aztec Empire right before the arrival of Cortés:

Looking at the extent of the tributary states versus the core area, it doesn't surprise me that he was able to find so many native allies.

This reminded me of a :spergin: moment I had recently; my girlfriend bought some Trader Joe's "sipping chocolate"; basically a very dark, low-sugar hot chocolate. The tin says "Inspired by European Tradition". It should say "Inspired by Aztec tradition"!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bolivia's just being a dick here

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I think people in this thread would really dig Long Way Round. It's on Netflix instant in the US currently

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Zohar posted:

Well there are academics in Russia now who view the US as inherently unstable,* plenty of people see China as inherently unstable, etc. The idea that Austria-Hungary was on the path to collapse certainly wasn't a mainstream view at the time (and "inherently unstable" can mean a lot of things so I don't know if that's what the source you're reading actually says or if it's an interpolation), and France and Austria-Hungary were in any case major rivals at the time. In 1904, for instance, Teddy Roosevelt said that Austria-Hungary's treatment of nationalities was a model the US ought to follow.

*For content:

Kentucky: Proud member of the European Union

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

As an interesting aside: HOLY poo poo, loving NOBODY LIVES IN AMERICA.

The US is the third most populous country in the world after China and India. Sure there's a big drop off from 2nd to 3rd but if you conclude from that map that "nobody lives in America" you're looking at it wrong

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Give these stupid loving rocks to like Luxembourg or Chad or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

marktheando posted:

:psyduck: That's almost entirely in the eastern half of the country though! I'm assuming the term has just stuck around from before the US expanded westward?

Yep, same reason Northwestern University is in Illinois