Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This state's favorite food map seems way less terrifying than the last one that got posted. Probably because it is based on foursquare check ins and some magical ideas that exist in some bored Foursquare desk-jockey's head.

(Source: https://www.mapbox.com/labs/foursquare/statetastes/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

For comparison here is a hideous map of US prices from 2011.

And a cool map of smoking rates.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kamrat posted:

And this one is all kinds of wrong:

I'm the arctic anteater.

Or maybe the austrailian zebra giraffe, I'm not sure.

I'm definitely not that nerdy-rear end mongolian gerbil that's for sure.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Boy Singer is going to be in for a nasty surprise in about 10 years.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:3293804

He was an rear end in a top hat anyway.

Also I'm really wondering about the menace of spanish pears on French republicanism.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Giving India Pakistani Kashmir and Aksai Chin but putting Arunachal Pradesh back in china is an odd choice

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The ohio Flag is the only acceptable flag in THE midwestern republic of KIWIMOM.

Pacific flag should have the bear on one side and a beaver on the other.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Moses Cleaveland, western Augustus Connecticutus and founder of the Second Hartford: Cleveland.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

If they kept going they would have gotten a summer port on the pacific!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way I heard it, people would piss down the grand staircases of Versailles.

I mean it was essentially a giant party prison for the french nobility.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

If you buy yarn in pa for the purposes of making clothing its untaxed but i swear to god if you make a blanket out of that yarn :argh:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

That is literally how it works yeah. They ask “is this for clothing” and you say yes.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lets get some politically loaded pa weird pa tax tip maps in here too

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Maryland can have everything south of christiana.

The rest should be ruled as a crown territory by philly, like gurnsey is with the uk

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kamrat posted:

What's going on in Tuva, is that a hotspot for organized crime?

No one lives there, so a small number of murders can show a huge per capita crime rate.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I will accept nothing less than Kyzyl as the one world capital

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Iceland fought a war vs the giant auk and kicked those dumb birds asses.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah the government loved to build driving ranges in rural villages (along with other recreational facilities) so all of them have one. Taking a train anywhere you see a ton of them between cities.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but why are they carrying water for China’s claim on the SCS?

nine dash line? NO! NINTY DASH LINE

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ontario actually does make a ton of wine though. Well not a ton but it's not hard to find, it's just not particularly famous.

I never knew Lake Ontario was so much deeper than Erie or even Michigan.

Lake erie is so shallow that summer winds blow it to the east that toledo just becomes a giant algae swamp.

lake/Ashtabula county ohio wines are ok.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Armenia is easy: when they are paying tribute to the persians they are in the middle east and when they are paying tribute to rome they are european

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im the state of susquehanna which does not contain the susquehanna river

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

This made me wonder if there is any decent population density map of the roman empire, since Egypt seems to have a lot smaller representation than I would expect.

Egypt isn't a part of rome but is an entity privately held by the augustus. They are lucky they even get 11.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

before founding static x Wayne static ran the soviet union

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

One day there will be a mcdonalds on those oil platforms in the caspian sea

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Obviously 31.8 should be categorised as >=32 and 29.8 as 30 - <32. That makes sense.

Like half the map is colored wrong. I'm guessing the key was modified to make the categories even, but the actual map coloring wasnt.

I fixed it

image share

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it was really sad when russia declared war to keep saakashvili from pressing their claims on nickajack lake

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Can you get to Hell from there or have they closed it off?

Its Italy im sure if you grease the right palms you can get access.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There were some in Roman Londinium, and a likely Japanese woman in an imperial burial in Italy, which I like to think was Nero's waifu since he was the gooniest emperor.

Do you have a source on this? It would have been around the yayoi period for nero, and the peoples living in japan at the time wouldnt have been particularly worldly (course if it was later it would make more since but things are always lamer when it happens in medieval rome). Or maybe it was a penninsular japanese inhabitant which would be neat and infuriating to some folk.

Im not doubting you i just think it would be a fascinating read.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.caitlingreen.org/2016/09/east-asian-people-roman-london.html

Caitlin Green's stuff is always a great read, highly recommend digging around her site. Also the Nero thing is a joke about him having a neckbeard, not history. :v:

Thanks! I just wanted to dunk on the byzantines.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grape posted:

And the reason the Arabs overran it all so easily is because the non-coastal populations were generally Oriental Orthodox rather than Eastern Orthodox, who through Byzantine policy were mistreated as second class citizens. And so they were actually kind of cool with an army of desert nomads just running in and beating the poo poo out of the Byzantines and kicking them out.

Way to go, idiot.

This is what happens when you let a carthaginian failson pretend like he’s a real emperor.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Given how scarce land is around big Japanese cities I would imagine it (used to be) a huge status symbol.

its probably less a status symbol and more a good target for pork barrel spending that japan love(ed) to do. especially for more rural towns full of old people throw up a golf course and a rec center and remind people that the ldp built it for you.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

delaware should be reintegrated into pennsylvania county if only to give use back our numbers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Germany looking pretty excited in that map

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there are far too many billionaire candy bar heirs in this country

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Continental Spain being dragged up by Ibiza, clearly.

Albania, though?

need something to keep you alert for a long night in the bunkers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im megasenegal

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Google maps is also terrible with labeling and it drives me nuts. It seems like other labels, like those for province names, get in the way. But even these don't make sense. Newfoundland isn't even the same font as the other province names

Because newfoundland isnt the province name
:goonsay:

My car gps loves to tell me the names of tiny no outlet roads that dont connect to the road im on rather than the name of the roads at intersections

maybe gps ui designers just really want people to focus on the hidden world. Roman Mars syndrome.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Blut posted:

5 wins for Luxembourg, 5 wins for the Netherlands and 5 wins for Ireland. The secret to Eurovision success appears to be enabling corporate tax evasion.

7 for ireland! Though most of those wins were because none of the other countries wanted to host

There is a good documentary about it called "My Lovely Horse"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

shoulda gone for a delmarva 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Wasn't Iceland uninhabited before the Vikings showed up? It didn't have an indigenous population

Missed opportunity for a giant auk civilization