Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

Deaths to heart disease in men

I am a population biologist currently working with mortality data and IMO that looks like a genetic distribution map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Count Roland posted:

Really? I find it odd that say France and East Germany show up so clearly on a map of genetics.

Full disclosure: in population studies, any combination of factors that can explain 25% of variation is worthy of publishing in a paper. I would think that a difference in diagnostic practices could add a lot to the explanation, especially the East-West split in Germany.

Here's an interesting paper that looks at the "French paradox" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115846/ - the proposed time lag hypothesis could also be relevant to the German phenomenon.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

I'm betting the way and tradition of reporting cause of death also has a bit to say in those statistics. The French may just be more poetic and write "he died from living the life of a true Frenchman", where the same guy would be described by a German as "dead from cardiac arrest caused by massive cholesterol". Or something less exaggerated and related to underlying causes.

I know diabetes and HIV are hard to track, since the final cause of death is neither of those, even if they're the underlying reason strep killed you.

They shouldn't be hard to track, provided the doctor fully and accurately reports the primary and secondary causes of death as well as the progression of diagnoses/symptoms. Most European countries have a more or less digital system to examine the entire death certificate and discern the underlying cause, which is what gets reported to e.g. Eurostat.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Denmark would like a word

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tasmania and Taiwan

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The only correct projection is a globe

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Tatu ja Patu or GTFO

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The colour scheme here and the the big northern fellas having double wide borders really fucks with my colour blindness here. What's the difference between the lavenders and the greys, and why did Canada make up for the loss of half of Hans Island by annexing Greenland and deploying a weather machine to take providensky and chukotsky's worst bits as a whole new island

It's not about the borders, it's a demonstration of different map projections.

Mercator, which is seen on class room maps the world over and makes the global north look way bigger than it really is vs. one that has the equator - GMT intersection in the middle and more accurately reflects the sizes of the continents

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I saw a video of the evolution of Poland's borders, and as far as I could tell there is not one square centimeter of territory that has consistently been Polish (even ignoring the times when the whole country was annexed by one or more neighbors) since it's first founding

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

alex314 posted:

Kraków and areas north, north-east should fit the bill.

Also if anyone wants one of those globes I can act as intermediary. Just give me some time so I see how much hassle the process is. I'm just ordering the first one to send to US Goon.

what about during the Swedish invasion and successful siege?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Krak%C3%B3w

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Electrical oven with gas cooktop or gtfo

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

We just got our gas disconnected last year in Copenhagen. And mostly because open flame and toddler seemed like a bad match, and also the stove was old and dysfunctional. But plenty of people still have gas pipes and use them for cooking.

We still have it
It was a dealbreaker when we were looking for apartments

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

From the schadenfreude thread

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The cardinal sin of that map is that it's showing raw prices with no correction for mean income or cost of living.

Although it's not a particularly precise measure of individual wealth, this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
maps pretty well to the variation in the gas price map.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Blut posted:

It maps roughly yeah, but there are some exceptions - Ireland and Austria being the two most glaring. Their income levels could both support much more expensive petrol prices.

Austria could benefit from proximity to eastern Europe, Ireland might have special deals related to their (previously?) very low corporate tax rate? Just speculating ofc but really those two examples don't disprove anything.

I don't feel like running the numbers but let's say it explains more than 75% of the variation - I'd call that a pretty strong correlation for just one factor and IMO a good enough reason to dismiss the original hypothesis

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

perpetually lmaoing at the idea that the noble nation of "Europe" doesn't require cars, unlike the complacent yank

qft

In Denmark even in the innermost capital area about 30% of households have at least one car, and in the rest of the country it's ~70%

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Regarde Aduck posted:

what's European about a bunch of Nordics, Italians, Germans and French?

The simple fact of Not Being English is a pretty popular thing to unite around

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Saladman posted:

I guess 26% of the population are super far rightwing nuts + super far leftwing nuts

Yea, pretty much everywhere. If you're lucky, you live in a country where the latter group makes up most of that number.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Guavanaut posted:

Not quite a map, definitely politically loaded

Stegte sild are great :mad:

Two Danish dishes but only one Swedish one - and it's not surströmning!?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
:rubby:

MIFL

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

RIP HM the Queen

Her Vag

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Skub means push/shove in Danish

The first rule of kindergarten is "no pushing", so Denmark is firmly in the anti-skub camp

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

i say swears online posted:

the ahegao of denmark will be eradicated

Do not google this at work

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Skios posted:

I remember watching a documentary in high school on Australian indigenous people who still lived mostly traditionally. One thing that stood out starkly was that while the men did the hunting, it was actually the women gathering grubs and trapping lizards that made up the majority of the protein in their diet.

That's true of most hunter gatherer societies and it kind of makes it seem like hunting is just busywork for unruly males but remember that hunting yields more than just protein, such as horn, bone and fur. If you're at all territorial, it's also a good opportunity to patrol the range.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

Jersey is a more integral part of New York City than Staten Island is.

N. K. Jemisin concurs

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Yup

E: for clarity I thought I was replying to the person who guessed Norway

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like this one that points all the names to the places they describe.

Scots: Bubbly-jock

Fuckin lmao

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

SimonSays posted:

We have more of a nasal lifting finish to the diphthong.

:heysexy: Alright go ahead but you better not charge me extra.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

beats for junkies posted:

edit: Are the ridges mountain ranges and not just artistic bumps?

Just artistic

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Ah yes the famous China-Japan alliance

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

steinrokkan posted:

What time period is this and what political leanings? It has post WWI borders for Germany / Austria, but it seems to give far too leeway to the British / Americans / Russians, and too little credit to Italy to be made by Nazis. On the other hand it assumes that China's gonna be conquered by Japan? Which would be against the Weimar policy, along with the more obviously problematic "conquer France and all our former colonies" pickle.

I think you'll find none of those block are exactly built on foundations of brotherly love.

Sure but the others least had an established relationship, however unequal it may have been: US plus its hegemony over South America, UK and its colonies, the rest of Europe and their colonies, Russia et al.

China+Japan as a united bloc is nonsense, regardless of when the map was made

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Negostrike posted:

LOL at Latin America being entirely within the Western Hemisphere but not being Western.

And half of the Western world being in the Eastern Hemisphere.

You... Do know that those distinctions are leftovers from the cold war, right?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
True. It's also just plain racist. South America was simply too brown on average to be considered fully a part of "the west".

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Best argument against terraforming Mars so far

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
All counties should be defined as voronoi cells around the 100 largest urban centers of a given nation, to be updated every 4 years or however long one election cycle is.

I will not be taking questions on this point.

Also ffs UK, sync up your local elections.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Goat posted:

running into moldova at full speed at precisely the right angle over and over until the physics glitches out and the UA noclips with full momentum, letting their troops instantly bypass all defensive lines and demolishing the Moscow% record (napoleon, glitchless, 82 days, 1812)

I assume that means anypercent but I don't think "0" should make Napoleon eligible for a spot on the leaderboard

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Goat posted:

he very much did burn down moscow though

My bad I remembered it as if he was forced to turn back before making it all the way

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tei posted:

Thanks for asking Bwee. I did not posted it here because I trough would be considered off-topic.

The point is the variety of terrain of USA. If we take a single location, and "imagine" "hallucinate" the entire country from what we see, would turn really boring.

mlyp

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
That's just the shape of the EEZEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Local politics are always weird, and should not be expected to conform to the dividing lines on national issues.
Counteruntuitive coalitions like that usually mean that the party left out has been in power so long it takes it for granted and that a purge of leadership is in order.