Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Mercator Projection's Eurocentrism and Americentrism

I work with electronic charts and maps all the time, so I always use Orthographic projection because it’s the best as it’s a close representation to how earth actually looks like. Then again I always change the 4 color country system to solid colors because it looks better and represents my naive notion that even if countries/people hate each other, we are still a species dividing a single planet with imaginary lines.

That said I don't mind Mercator when I have to use paper nautical charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

:france:

All it misses is Adélie Land, the French claim in Antarctica.

Oh did you know that thanks to having so much oversea territories France has the second largest exclusive economic zone? Oh whats an economic zone? Here let me tell you all about exclusive economic zones.

All world wide EEZ claims and the first, second and third largest EEZ areas.

So whet the gently caress is an EEZ? In the most basic term its a zone extending 200 Nautical Miles away from a nation coastline where they lay a claim to all the natural resources with in said zone. So whats so political about these?

Disputes, I mean look at this loving hot mess. With with disputes like theese comes how to enact the law can be quite loving tricky.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Catholics (That is Roman Catholics) are not the same as Catholics (That is people from protestant/other denomination). The history of the divide is actually quite fascinating from a historical and sociological point of view, but its not really for this thread.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anosmoman posted:

Why is this so important? Kazakhstan is larger than Switzerland so therefore...? I wish other projections were in vogue too but the size of a country isn't useful for anything beyond comparing sizes of countries which is an irrelevant metric for most things that matter.

Its political because Mercator projection is super distorted. The farther north/South you go from the equator, the bigger it is, which in turn makes europe and unites states look a lot bigger than what they actually are. Which in turn makes people belive their country much larger than it actually is, American/European/Russian exepcionalism, etc etc.

Mercator is still useful, but its kinda lovely for world projections.

Australia (actual size) Vs Greenland (Actual size)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

chairface posted:

My favorite by far is "Bad for Navigation." I really wish more place names were like that.

Cape Hatteras is also called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", its one of the few places in the Atlantic I genuinely fear and respect.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DarkCrawler posted:

Holy poo poo, why would you even sail there after like, the 50th ship has gone down?! :psyduck:

Cape Hatteras sucks, but its mostly safe to transit. Its only deadly when the sea conditions get really REALLY bad.

HMS Bounty replica sinking after super storm Sandy in 2012.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Plague inc includes Alaska as part of Canada. Its world map is kinda weird.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I wonder, at what point do we include the sea? I wouldnt be surprised if there were more people per square mile in some of the more heavily trafficked trade lanes than the deepest parts of the Sahara or Amazon.

Probably if we ever have permament settelments in the ocean surface or subsurface.

Or when the ice caps melt and we refer to current coastal regions as former costal regions.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Orange Devil posted:

So at official functions the flagsize is just whatever as long as the ratio is fine?

Yes. In the military boat we had different sized US flags for different occasions, a small storm one, a "normal" sized one, a bigger one for holidays, Sundays, and special days, and finally a gigantic rear end flag we called "the battle flag" that we fly during really special occasions..

Essentially gently caress common sense as long as the ratios are right.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Powered Descent posted:

Any guesses?

Hints: it's something per capita, and darker is more.

meth labs

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

There's no impeachment process in France.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

yeah great, very stable system of politics. "hope a revolution bursts out, with all the problem it entails".

It was meant as a joke, so please relax.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The inclusion of Puerto Rico in the map tickles my fancy. Also at work we have as gaggle of Puerto Ricans, 2 "natives" (myself included), 2 1st generation (one from NY and another from AK) and a 1st generation "Cuban Rican" (half cuban half Puerto Rican).

Its the most "diverse" group of Puerto Ricans I have seen in the Coast Guard.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Antti posted:

I know someone in the US Navy and one thing they said was nice about deployments was that there's no light pollution in the middle of the ocean so the night sky looks amazing.

I am coast guard and not navy but this is one (amongst many other) things I miss about being deployed on a boat. The underway period between Guam and Hawaii was amazing, though seeing the Philippines glassy, calm as gently caress waters was also good.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The best bit is that "Bueno, Asi es la vida" translate to "Such is life" and it covers Russia.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty questionably definitions used for this map. The Faroe Islands might be autonomous within the Kingdom of Denmark, but defense and expansion of their claims is the purview of Denmark. Likewise, the Andaman Islands a part of India, why give them a different color?

Also Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Guam, have different colors.

Also its using the 200nm line as the territorial line???? lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

fishmech posted:

Huh, I never realized there was two areas of effectively unclaimable waters in the Gulf of Mexico.

Its not unclaimable, its just beyond USA and mexico claim for 200 Nautical Mile, Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZ). Also to reiterate EEZs are not territorial seas (those extend to 12 nautical miles), this making that map lovely as gently caress.

Here is a website that better illustrates EEZs, is zoomable and talks about donut holes around the world.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

icantfindaname posted:

Portugese called all Muslims they came across Moors

Also a spain thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matamoros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Can someone do this for california but use different combinations of "hella"?